• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Nell

Unending melancholy
Bold Member!
Chad Worthington works for Portland-based D & H Flagging, Inc., and was on the Interstate Bridge on Thursday morning in a truck designed to protect work crews by absorbing the impact of a crash.

Two southbound lanes were closed for electrical work and a routine inspection.

Worthington never thought he’d actually be hit – until he looked in his mirror around 3:30 a.m. and saw a van coming up behind him fast.

He guesses the driver slammed into him at a speed of nearly 60 mph.

When he got out, he heard a woman in the van yelling.

“She started screaming, ‘My baby, my baby, my baby,’ and that’s when I grabbed my phone, called 911 real quick, then all of a sudden the van caught on fire,” he said.

He described what happened next as intense and chaotic.

Worthington said he and other workers from the electrical company and ODOT grabbed fire extinguishers to try and put out the blaze.

He said a young woman was driving, her mother was in the passenger seat and her baby was in the back.

But he couldn’t believe what he said happened next.

“The mom of the child said, ‘I can’t handle this, I’m out of here,’ and jumped the jersey barrier and started walking southbound on the bridge,” he said. “She walked by another one of my co-workers, and she was just walking casually, like nothing ever happened.”

But her mother and baby were still in the burning car.

Worthington said workers used their fire extinguishers to break the windows, and one man badly cut his arm in the process by reaching in past the broken glass.

Someone pulled the grandmother out of the car by her arm, while Worthington and his co-worker, Daniel, focused on the baby, who was secured in a car seat.

“I tried to reach my hand in to the front door because it was starting to be engulfed in flames and smoke, and it started getting kind of real. Like, that baby is in danger,” he recalled.

He said he struggled to free the buckles on the car seat, but finally got the baby girl free.

grabbed the baby, pulled it out, handed it to Daniel and Daniel and the grandma walked away from the van and then a few – probably a minute, or a few minutes after that – the actual van exploded,” he said.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/3250...burning-van-theyre-very-fortunate-to-be-alive

Last edited:
Just when you think you've heard everything...

Is there any possible way she went into some sort of delusion or shock? I know people can be unbelievably cold but DAMN this just boggles the mind.

Even if we died together my baby would not go alone. I hope they rake her over the coals before they return that baby to her.

I to wonder if the mother was in shock or something...head injury perhaps?? I can't wait to hear more about this. Something is off. I'm thankful the construction crew was able to rescue the baby and grandma. This would have ended a whole lot differently if they hadn't been there. Kudos guys. You are heroes. Heal quickly.

Oh I agree. Unlike most good people, she didn't think of the two people in that car who should've meant the most to her, her mother and her child. She thought, instead, of the one who DID mean the most, herself.
Guessing she thought about how many charges she was going to get when it was revealed that she was shitfaced and driving erratically without regard for the innocents who's lives she was putting in danger. Like a lot of DUI-guilty people, she had the idea, "Hey, by the time they find me, I'll test negative!" Maybe from booze, not much else. And doing what she did will probably leave her open for a myriad of other charges, likely more serious than the DUI.
If she were rich (or in LE, etc.) she could build a defense on "I was in shock..." but that's not going to fly otherwise. Betcha it wasn't her first DUI -- most people aren't that afraid if it's their first (where I live, it's always the same sentence, which is harsh but doable.)
One day that little girl will grow up and find this Online somewhere. I wonder what affect that would have on her? Could be minimal, could be shattering. But this "mother" will likely have to answer to questions she's not gonna like in a dozen years or so.
It's so inconceivable to me that anyone would leave their child in a burning car and walk away. There is no part of me that would even think of doing that (climbing back into the car to desperately try to free my baby would be my first instinct.)
If she was impaired (and that's my guess, I don't know) I wonder why her mother wasn't driving, if she could?
Those men at the scene, their quick actions and great work are heroes, true heroes. They cared more about that baby and her grandma then the mother did and put themselves in harms way to save them both -- definite respect.

Nothing like have your loved ones to rely on, eh. I'm so happy the grandmother and child were rescued, because obviously they wouldn't have been if it had been left up to that twat that walked away.

Back