• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Rubytoo

Forbidden Drive is a very well know, scenic part of Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. I walk/hike there quite frequently. The main road "Forbidden Drive" follows the Wissahickon Crick (creek, whatever in Philly it's a crick, lol) and there are many trails off the main course. This park is used daily by walkers, runners, hikers, horseback riders, etc... It's actually a busy place to be during the summer. Me and the kids walk there at least once a week. Never heard of a bear being in Fairmount Park until this morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160514_Black_bear_spotted_by_Wissahickon_Creek.html

My brother walks that portion of the park all the time. This will be great info for him to know in case his daughter gets too bratty!

I didn't think it was really that weird to hear. I mean it is a woodsy area, makes sense to me. Did you see the picture of it, in the crick? Kinda cool, but kinda scary too. I don't live near that area though so I'm good. LOL

Seeing a bear if you're not used to them can be scary, but bear attacks are really quite few and far between. We get the odd one wandering around town here, and they are given a wide berth on our travels. Sometimes they need to be relocated, but mostly they just nose around and continue on their merry way!

Now a Momma bear with babies -that's something else!

See I've heard of bears as close as Bucks Co. and I think maybe one close to the Northeast, Pennypack maybe? I've lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life (35 yrs, Germantown, Roxborough, Mt. Airy, Olney and Chestnut Hill), but have never heard of a bear in or around Forbidden Drive, and yeah, the Wissahickon Crick (literally) is in my back yard so kinda creepy, but only cause I have outdoor cats.

ETA : @Mata Hari yes, the pics were kinda awesome.... And just to add, had I been walking there this morning with my two kids, and seen a bear!?! I'd have been freaked the fuck out.

Last edited:
but have never heard of a bear in or around Forbidden Drive, and yeah, the Wissahickon Crick

So, I was talking to co-worker this morning and his thing is - where did the bear come from? He says all of Fairmount Park is surrounded by city, so how did the bear get there and leave with no other reports of it being seen?

So, I of course looked it up on the map, and he's right. There is no part where it goes on to more green areas. So, that - is indeed fucking weird. I rescind my initial comment.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9922657,-75.2078938,14.71z

Wow that IS rare.
You don't often hear of bears with polka dots.

....oh wait....oops...my bad.

In the excruciatingly boring film: The Revenant, Leo DiCrapio gets raped by a bear. It is the only interesting scene in the entire film.

Back