• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Victoria

Intrepid Sojourner
Bold Member!

images
Three Suicide Bombers Suspected in Istanbul Airport terror attack and latest tallies report 28 now dead and an estimated number of wounded rising to 60.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/28/europe/turkey-istanbul-airport-attacks/index.html

Death toll now at 35 and it appears that those numbers have every possibility of rising even higher as news continues to come in on the attacks. I need to go and dig out some Satchmo.

Last edited:
A gun and bomb attack on Istanbul's Ataturk international airport has killed 36 people and injured more than 140 others, officials say.

Three attackers arrived in a taxi and began firing at the terminal entrance late on Tuesday. They blew themselves up after police fired back.

PM Binali Yildirim said early signs pointed to so-called Islamic State but no-one has so far admitted the attack.

Recent bombings have been linked to either IS or Kurdish separatists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36658187

My sincere condolences to the survivors and the loved ones of the victims.

Logically speaking, there's currently around 180 designated terrorist groups on the planet currently active. Over 100 of these are Islamic. Whether it was Isis, or the Kurds (which Erdogan would LOVE to point the finger at) or Al Qaeda, or one of the others, it stands to reason that this was yet another Terror attack based on the Muslim faith.

We're getting desensitized. The media isn't really making much of a song and dance about this attack, people seem rather calm, maybe because it happened in Turkey and not on home soil, maybe not. Islamic terror is becoming commonplace.

Its only going to increase, people are going to die horribly and cruelly, all of our lives will slowly change thanks to new laws and legislation designed to 'protect us from terror', while we continue to follow the same route.

We condemn the attacks. Politicians and Leaders murmur some pretty words about solidarity. We express our condolences and sympathy to the victims. Our Politicians and Leaders, along with many Muslims, state that this is 'not Islamic behaviour'. And it does nothing. Its cowardice and ignorance. It doesn't save lives. It doesn't respect the dead, who should still be living amongst us.

The whole mess is just a tragedy, on so many levels. What kind of world are we evolving into, where we are becoming desensitized to horror like this?

The BBC is covering it extensively, @sarahdownunder , and parallels are being drawn to the attack in Belgium early this year. I don't honestly see the desensitisation you mention, though I am sure it will eventually come, too.

The BBC is covering it extensively, @sarahdownunder , and parallels are being drawn to the attack in Belgium early this year. I don't honestly see the desensitisation you mention, though I am sure it will eventually come, too.

It was the top article for perhaps 20 mins this morning on news.com.au and quickly got pushed a dozen spots down thereafter. I've seen quick mentions on news programming on TV - but none of this live rolling coverage that you see with a Western attack where its all they show for days on end. Maybe it's Australian media?

It is the only news item able to compete with Brexit here at the moment (and Brexit is a big deal!)

We've even got live updating on it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-36659543

The death toll in a gun and suicide bomb attack on Istanbul's Ataturk airport has risen to 41, 13 of them foreign nationals, with 239 injured, the Turkish city's governor says.

Three attackers arrived in a taxi and began firing at the terminal entrance late on Tuesday. They blew themselves up after police fired back.

PM Binali Yildirim said early signs pointed to so-called Islamic State.

However, no-one has so far admitted carrying out the attack.

Turkey has declared Wednesday a day of national mourning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36662684

ISIS is purposely targeting locations in Muslim areas during Ramadan, according to reports. This isn't about religion. They're goddamn pirates. Well-funded pirates.

And, as such, I believe we have a lot more to worry about from them than we did Al Qaeda.

It is the only news item able to compete with Brexit here at the moment (and Brexit is a big deal!)

We've even got live updating on it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-36659543

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36662684

Thanks, Abroad. Seriously, Brexit is top page news, has been since it happened. Sweet jack shit about Turkey here. A bit of 'not in my backyard' behaviour from our media, I'd say. Just because the latest attack was in Turkey doesn't make it less important than a Western located attack.

I'm a bit ashamed about that. We lit up the Opera House for France. We lit up Parliament House for Brussels.

We can't even keep Turkey in the headlines. We do have an election - we're all compulsory voting tomorrow - but as I said, Brexit and literally ANYTHING remotely related to Brexit has been top line news for a week. Turkey doesn't seem to matter, not only in our media, but I'm not seeing shit from the politicians regarding standing by Turkey in solidarity. Not a proud moment for my culture. That's why I mentioned desensitization. Its honestly, not a big deal here, on the street, or in the news.

Last edited:
The upside of all of this is that a round trip flight and hotel booking in Istanbul is under one-thousand dollars now. I've always wanted to go there.

I'm a bit ashamed about that. We lit up the Opera House for France. We lit up Parliament House for Brussels.

The Germans lit up Brandenburger Tor for Turkey. The reaction from European countries has been very similar to that after Belgium.....

Turkey is a disgusting fucking country, fucking vile.

I'm shocked they're not trying to blame the kurds for this, whether they did it or not.

The upside of all of this is that a round trip flight and hotel booking in Istanbul is under one-thousand dollars now. I've always wanted to go there.

It is on my list, too. Would really love to go, but maybe not this year.....
[doublepost=1467380421,1467380306][/doublepost]
I'm shocked they're not trying to blame the kurds for this, whether they did it or not.

Who says they're not? They keep mentioning the Kurdish terror organisations as a possible perpetrator in the same breath with ISIS, though most commentators then go on to say that the target is more like what ISIS would do.....

It is on my list, too. Would really love to go, but maybe not this year.....
[doublepost=1467380421,1467380306][/doublepost]

Who says they're not? They keep mentioning the Kurdish terror organisations as a possible perpetrator in the same breath with ISIS, though most commentators then go on to say that the target is more like what ISIS would do.....

Only read one article, and it said Turkish authorities are saying likely ISIS.

A question, why was my thread the one deleted on the terror attack in Turkey at Ataturk Airport as it was posted prior to the other thread??? Curious.... perhaps it was another thread but it doesn't clarify which one from what I can tell.

Last edited:
~ @Buffettgirl ~ Thanks, I can't recall any other recent thread I started so perhaps it was not a recent thread. I really do try to make sure I am not duplicating a thread prior to posting. :sorry:

I know the feeling @Victoria, it drives me nuts trying to figure out which thread was deleted. I wish that was part of the notification so I would know.

But even when you search sometimes it just doesn't show up. I always search, if I have names, and every once in a while, I duplicate something. So try not to worry about it, tho I know not knowing drives me crazy, too.

Sympathise with them? For funneling migrant, Islamic rape hordes into Europe?
As unpopular and politically incorrect as this opinion may be, I completely agree with the sentiment ..

This world is going downhill, fast ..
It's horrible, there is no solution and no turning back, it's literally too late ..

As unpopular and politically incorrect as this opinion may be, I completely agree with the sentiment ..

This world is going downhill, fast ..
It's horrible, there is no solution and no turning back, it's literally too late ..

Welcome aboard, Myra!

etS9k33.gif

Last edited:
Back