• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/06/21/man-fires-gun-as-officer-tries-to-rescue-emu-from-border-fire/
A Department of Animal Services worker was patrolling the perimeter of the huge wildfire in the far southern reaches of San Diego County along with a video-camera operator at about 6 p.m. Monday when they got a report from a passerby about the roaming ostrich-like flightless bird, which apparently had suffered burns, according to DAS public affairs.

The workers found the distressed emu and were approaching it when Sean Michael Shepherd, 32, appeared and got into an argument with them because he didn’t want them to take custody of it, officials said.

Following the exchange of words, Shepherd allegedly went into his nearby home, returned with a shotgun and fired off several rounds, causing the county employees to retreat and make an emergency call.
[....]
Sheriff’s deputies then went to the neighborhood and arrested Shepherd. He was booked into San Diego Central jail on suspicion of negligently discharging a firearm and being a felon in possession of a gun and ammunition.

Shepherd was being held on $50,000 bail pending arraignment, scheduled for next Tuesday.

County personnel were unable to relocate the ailing emu, which fled following the gunfire.

California law and court decisions allow animal-control officers to enter a property without a warrant when they have a reasonable belief that prompt action is needed to protect the welfare of an animal, DAS Director Dawn Danielson noted.

“Generally, the public is very supportive of our officers in the field,” she said. “The best thing they can do to help us is to keep their distance and watch quietly. Otherwise an injured animal can get spooked and run off. Then our officer loses an opportunity to help that animal.”

Thaaaats just great. The injured emu escapes because of an angry nutjob. Hope the bird can find safely recover somewhere far away from flames and "Shepherds".

What an imbecile.
WTF is wrong with assholes thinking they are outside of the law and have some special right to threaten those doing a duly appointed job.

Stupid dick could have injured or killed someone and all because why...
"git off mah propurdy ya dammed revenuers!"

Hope the wildfire crisps his precious place to a cinder.

One wonders what it is he has to hide that he needed to chase the official away.....

I assumed it was his emu and he didn't want it seized. Didn't occur to me it was a "get off my lawn" situation.

Never get between a man and his emu.

There seems to be a lot of bloody emus over there.
Honestly, that's true. There are people who may have a couple as pets, and there are emu ranches with a brisk trade in eggs. I've heard of ostrich ranches in Texas, and even saw ostrich at the market once, but it didn't catch on. Of course I'm talking about the Western U.S., don't know about emus in the East.

Edited to add I'm sure they will execute a warrant while he's in custody.

Last edited:
One wonders what it is he has to hide that he needed to chase the official away.....

If he'd just kept his fucking mouth shut and his shotgun inside, he'd have had no problems lol. They'd have loaded up the emu and been on their merry way.

It's not like the Animal Services worker is going to be snooping around looking for contraband. But he had to act a damned fool and start firing shots... and when the cops come it's a different story. Not a good idea when you're a felon and not supposed to own firearms in the first place.

Now the poor emu will continue to suffer, or die. :(

Back