• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
In this asinine, ultra-pc world we currently live in, the only way they can make sure no one is offended is to evenly hash-out the Cool and Not Cool between the colors...

Nope. Just that. And that should be so goddamn second nature to people in a corporate environment, the fact that this poster was created just two years is worthy of a forehead slap.

That no one has complained about it until now is hardly some stamp of approval, either.

That no one has complained about it until now is hardly some stamp of approval, either.

And the fact that this blew up after ONE person posted it on social media is indicative of this being nothing more than pure, manufactured outrage. The new status-quo - the perpetually offended. .

And the fact that this blew up after ONE person posted it on social media is indicative of this being nothing more than pure, manufactured outrage. The new status-quo - the perpetually offended. .

Oh, I won't disagree there. This isn't worthy of outrage. This is not "racism". But, it's thoughtless and inequitable, especially since it was designed specifically for "high-risk" (i.e. "ethnically-diverse") communities. They thought far enough along to weight the pool disproportionately with minority children. They could'a, should'a followed that on through.

especially since it was designed specifically for "high-risk" (i.e. "ethnically-diverse") communities.
High-risk is another name for criminally motivated. This subterfuge is required to lower the standards of law abiding to were thievery is acceptable. Baby steps to lower the standard.
This is liberal logic, based on emotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

From the article:

The campaign was designed to reduce the drowning rate in high-risk communities.

"High-risk" was adopted by research/policy/humanitarian organizations to mostly replace "urban", because low-income, minority-rich neighborhoods aren't exclusive to major cities, so they were leaving people they hoped to target out by using "urban".

Take this public health report from 2009.

Assessing and Quantifying High Risk: Comparing Risky Behaviors by Youth in an Urban, Disadvantaged Community with Nationally Representative Youth
Monica H. Swahn, PhDa and Robert M. Bossarte, PhDb,c

SYNOPSIS
Objective
This study examined whether youth who live in an urban, disadvantaged community are significantly more likely than youth representing the nation to engage in a range of health-compromising behaviors.

If you continue to read through it, "high-risk" and "urban" are used pretty synonymously, and "being a member of a minority group," is one of the specific indicators of being "high-risk".

So let me get this straight - and correct me if I am misunderstanding - if a study shows that minorities are more likely to engage in health-compromising behaviors, then a safety sign created specifically to warn off those behaviors should include races who do not need to be warned because they are not engaged in them?

So let me get this straight - and correct me if I am misunderstanding - if a study shows that minorities are more likely to engage in health-compromising behaviors, then a safety sign created specifically to warn off those behaviors should include races who do not need to be warned because they are not engaged in them?

:p

It's not race-specific. The low-income element is the biggest factor, and it just so happens that there are a disproportionate number of minorities that are low-income. But the entire community, and all the children in it, are considered "high-risk", primarily because low-income neighborhoods tend to suffer from poor quality education. Of course, communities with high-minority percentages tend to get even less education funding than poor communities with high percentages of whites...

Race and socioeconomics waltz rather tightly together. Identifying a couple of brown kids as cool too should have been a no-fucking-brainer, though, if you're trying to appeal, in part, to brown kids.

We can't just be not racist. You don't get a gold star for doing what you're supposed to be doing anyway. We all have to be anti-racist, and that means training ourselves to recognize and call out things that even subtly reinforce negative stereotypes. Because, in this PC world of ours, that's mostly all there is left... subtle reinforcement. But, stealing words from one of my local hip-hop duos, Blue Scholars, that's enough to keep the cauldron hot.

And they say desegregation was a big step forward
But integration only covered up a rotten core
The surface might've changed but the cauldron is still hot
Now we more politically correct with less real talk

@Athena , what the Blue Scholars are saying is right. Real talk is threatened when political-correctness takes power. Real talk means "What do YOU have to say? I'm listening." It involves dissenting opinions and both sides getting butt-hurt on occasion. It also means being wrong and accepting that everyone should be open to change. In this case, it's the right of some to suggest the poster is racist by what they observed, and equally the right of others to say that's a stretch and try to see it from a different vantage point. Maybe the issue will be left in disagreement, but both sides are free to disagree and to listen to each other's POV.

What you suggested above, to train ourselves to recognize and call out anything that resembles racism would intensify our already PC-environment. This would end honest dialogue on race issues and create the PC Race "Monologue" because it would encourage silencing any dissenting opinions or observations that would challenge the official race script. Under heightened PC rules, if someone sees this poster as racist, no matter how small is the offended group, then it IS racist and no contradictions are allowed. Anyone thinking differently must be criticized.

Why can't we challenge thought? Why should we submit and apologize to accusations without the opportunity to have our own POV? Why should those asserting racism be encouraged to do so, without the need to debate their stance?

What you suggested above, to train ourselves to recognize and call out anything that resembles racism would intensify our already PC-environment.

I'm thinking maybe "call out" means something different where you are. I meant "verbally identify". Bring it out into the light. There's no other way to start a conversation.
I agree with everything else you said in this post.

I'm thinking maybe "call out" means something different where you are. I meant "verbally identify". Bring it out into the light. There's no other way to start a conversation.
I agree with everything else you said in this post.

That makes more sense. I was like "you wrote this, then quoted that... huh?" ;) Call out is a harsher stance where I'm from.

That makes more sense. I was like "you wrote this, then quoted that... huh?" ;) Call out is a harsher stance where I'm from.

lol. That's fair. I totally didn't mean, like, "I'm callin' you out, Bubba! You better step right out'a that bar, son, so we can settle this like men right now!"

S'pose I could have phrased it a bit more delicately. But, "recognize and bring up," didn't carry quite enough weight, either. :p

I don't see any fat people getting pissed about the whale in the corner :D:shrug::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: total horse shit :finger:
Not even the same. Not at all.
I am fat. I am not a sea creature and don't identify my upbringing as being treated like a whale.

@lithiumgirl
You're in Canada? Which part? I'm in Maine (Jr Canada ;)), & we get the occasional tourist who is just SURE that he or she is in Canada when really (s)he's in Maine. Very charming, those ones...

We also get a lot of Canadians who come down to shop for the holidays... Do Canadians get a lot of paid time off? I can't figure out how these people can afford to make regular trips down through Midcoast Maine, possibly to Portland, and then home, for the whole weekend or long weekend, several weekends in the fall. The gas, hotel, money spent shopping... From what I understand, you can only (technically) bring back $500 worth of good without having to claim them (although I could very well be wrong).

Cripes, sorry to go off-topic!

What?! A bunch of older white people disliked my post? Shocked. :hilarious:

Let's do the math.

2 white people identified as not cool. 2 identified as cool.

4 black kids identified as uncool. 0 identified as cool.

Of course this isn't overt racism. I don't believe there was some evil white poster artist rubbing their hands together maniacally as they pondered the race war this would set off. But we need to be careful not reinforce racial stereotypes.

An entire quarter of the white population thinks that blacks are inherently less intelligent.

54% of whites think blacks are inherently more violent.

Both are FALSE stereotypes that do an untold amount of damage to the black community. Now, with that premise in mind, does this poster dispel or reinforce those stereotypes?

It's really easy to feel like it's no biggie when you have never and will never suffer the consequences of such stereotypes. But these false stereotypes are the reason we underfund black students, why blacks have a harder time finding employment and are jailed at a dramatically disproportionate rate. It also makes black folk subconsciously feel bad about themselves, when all they see is negative portrayals. But white people see fit to sit around and talk about how the black community needs to fix themselves.

WE, white people, created and largely control this environment. The least we can do is make sure we portray them in a judicious manner. Christ.

This is the probably the second dumbest fucking thing that I've ever read in my entire life.
[doublepost=1467359626,1467359461][/doublepost]
The true harm comes from within? No, this is not a scenario in which, "You did this to yourself," applies. White people were believing black folk were stupid and violent loooooooooooong before 50 Cent came around. White people were still believing black folk were stupid and violent when Italians and Irishmen were the country's gangsters and the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Sammy Davis Jr. graced the airwaves and stages.

But, decades later, exactly nothing black people can do convinces whites that they're not stupid, violent boogeymen. A relative handful of black folks thought, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," and started taking advantage of the long-established stereotype to sell records, and this is somehow their fault?

True enough, 50 Cent isn't helping. But for as long as we're still contributing to it, we can't bitch about them finally buying into it and perpetuating it. And for as long as we're still contributing to it, they have no real motivation to stop, do they?

Beyond that, no, this one little swimming poster has not done more damage to the black image than 50 Cent. But the type of negative stereotype reinforcement featured in the poster absolutely has, cumulatively. The fact that it's unintentional makes it insidious. I mean, they managed to portray minorities negatively without even meaning to. And a bunch of white people looked at it and saw nothing wrong with it. That's the part that speaks to the collective white mindset.

When racial representation is as substantially imbalanced as it is in America, it takes consciousness and a modicum of effort for the majority to be equitable to minorities. It's our duty as decent people. This poster may be a most trivial failure, but it's still a failure.

This is probably the third dumbest fucking thing that I've ever read in my entire life.

Athena quote: There is no excuse for whites who contribute to, adopt or tolerate negative stereotypes about blacks.
Stereotypes are a based on emotional baggage.
If projection is part of your accusation then this quote makes sense. Is personal guilt is involved? Or just an emotional mob mentality in full bloom?
Is this wise to expose your emotional instability to the world? Dignity is so over rated.

Last edited:
Stereotypes are a based on emotion baggage.
If projection is part of your accusation then this quote makes sense. Is personal guilt is involved? Or just an emotional mob mentality in full bloom?
Is this wise to expose your emotional instability to the world? Dignity is so over rated.
@Athena said that... I was quoting.

Stereotypes are based upon reality. The Irish are alcoholics. Gypsies are thieves. Scottish people are cheap. Americans are stupid. Koreans eat dogs. Romanian women are prostitutes. Rhodesians are racists. [Ethnic identity redacted] are violent sexual predators who have ruined every community in which they reside.

Stereotypes are based upon reality
The same reality that is dependent on Politically Correct activism. They both require emotional dependence to form the foundation of bias.
Think about it, contempt, class warfare, fanatics, guilt, fear, jealousy and more. All in search of a convenient scapegoat to hate. Emotional dependence is why it festers into violence.
It's like social engineering is being dependent on the flawed logic of emotion.
The only way to stop a reasoned debate is add negative emotion.
Your reality requires a touchy feely liberal fantasy to remove taint of emotional insanity.
Other than that, you can make your own reality.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't see how this poster is really perpetuating anything...

Megan, your posts leave me to wonder if you can see that the sky is sometimes blue, or if you would contest that it is purple, just because "blue" is the prevailing opinion.

So, color me unsurprised.

At this point if we're ever going to be a non racist society then we need to stop putting so much emphasis on race like who's being portrayed and how they're being portrayed etc.

That's the way every millennial was raised, and you know what? It didn't work. Millennials were raised to be "color-blind", and all it amounted to was them (us) coming out with the retarded belief that we suffer the same about of racial prejudice that minorities do.

Never mind that it's statistically fucking impossible, given the fact that white people are still over 60% of the population, and because cultures tend to congregate, mostly around each other.

Our differences should be celebrated, not ignored, and certainly not inaccurately portrayed.

Normally, I don't even dignify your inane ramblings with a response, but I'll make an exception.

If you had any balls on you, sir, you wouldn't attack the person, you would attack the statement. I dare you. Go ahead and defend negative stereotypes against blacks, so I can climb up on my soapbox and pick your abstract ass apart.

But you won't.

An entire quarter of the white population thinks that blacks are inherently less intelligent.

54% of whites think blacks are inherently more violent.

Both are FALSE stereotypes that do an untold amount of damage to the black community.

Black on black crime, the misogynistic, obscene, violent hip-hop culture, multi-generational welfare dependency...these are the things that are doing actual untold damage to the black community, not some fucking sign that no one but a self-loathing white liberal, or an African-American Studies major would ever even notice. Every white liberal that wants to shed a tear for the "black community," should pack up their bags and move themselves and their families into a majority black neighbourhood, and send their children to majority black schools. If you aren't planning on doing so, I don't want to hear your self-debasing rhetoric, which only appears condescending to black people anyway.

Last edited:
Come on, that's silly. Everyone knows that blacks can't swim;)

:D
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Omg. hahahahahahahahaaaaaa. I hate you so much right now!! I just sprayed coffee out of my nose.
:hilarious: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Counting up and singling out the various races of the kids in this cartoon picture seems incredibly racist to me. The people who first caused this overly sensitive hissy fit come across as very racist to me.
[doublepost=1467506721,1467506579][/doublepost]
Those of you who don't see the big deal are obviously white.
We don't get to decide if it's racist or not, okay? We don't get to blame the victims.

If your first instinct when looin at a pic like this is to start counting out and singling out the cartoon childrens racial background, then YOU are the one with the problem. Get the fuck over yourself.

I'm glad this offended people. I hope people felt outright victimized by it.

Black on black crime, the misogynistic, obscene, violent hip-hop culture, multi-generational welfare dependency...these are the things that are doing actual untold damage to the black community, not some fucking sign that no one but a self-loathing white liberal, or an African-American Studies major would ever even notice. Every white liberal that wants to shed a tear for the "black community," should pack up their bags and move themselves and their families into a majority black neighbourhood, and send their children to majority black schools. If you aren't planning on doing so, I don't want to hear your self-debasing rhetoric, which only appears condescending to black people anyway.

Oh, Pete. Glad you're back. A little sad that you didn't pay a lick of attention that entire time you were here. I lived in a predominantly black neighborhood for several years, and transferred my sister, who I had legal custody of, to the high school in that neighborhood. I currently live in a neighborhood that's about half and half, and I'm just fine, here. Raising a child here.

So, blah, blah, blah to the apartheid fan. Can someone whose opinion can be taken seriously come back?

The issues within the black community are all primarily driven by a majority that makes it harder for them to live a normal life. A black has to send 15 resumes out to a cracker's 10 just to get an interview. A white doctor spends significantly less time with black patients than white patients, on average. Again, the more black students a school has, the less funding it gets. Black renters are constantly discriminated against in majority white neighborhoods. The City of Seattle, for example, just busted dozens of landlords for racial discrimination.

But we're going to sit here and blame them for not rising above the hurdles we're constantly tossing in front of them? No. And, it's hardly condescending of me to point these things out. Nice try, though.

I question your reason why we shouldn't be color blind because it seems counterproductive to point out every difference while trying to create equality. I question why you believe racism against white people doesn't exist because where 60 percent the majority.

Oh, Megan...

There ARE differences. Why on earth would it be productive to pretend there weren't? When things exist, we see them, and we question them, and we determine whether or not they're valuable. Because equality doesn't mean "same". This is the concept that seems to fuck you up as far as feminism is concerned, too. Do women deserve the same legal protections and social latitude that men enjoy? If you answer that question "yes", you're a feminist. Sorry, darlin' (and equitable dudes who might be reading).

Similarly, I believe minorities deserve the same legal and social latitude that white people have. It's something they don't currently enjoy. But the road to that isn't to make them the same. It's to recognize that their differences don't make them any less capable. And that's why differences should be celebrated. Because the differences are not threatening, but people naturally fear what they don't understand, and with a white majority, white people tend to fear or distrust minorities because there are elements of their culture we don't understand.

The road to equality is always to understand differences, not to pretend there are none.

And I didn't insinuate there's no such thing as racism against white people. I've experienced it and have detailed the stories on this site when they've been germane to the conversation. The difference is, the racism white people experience is a series of isolated incidents. It's not systemic. Racism doesn't prevent us from getting a job, or a house, or a thorough examination from a doctor. It might be a mean word, or a physical altercation. But it doesn't stunt our development.

That's a dramatic difference.

LOL I just realized that this could have been a joke about people saying "blacks can't swim".

This poster gets more entertaining the more you look at it.

Ha! You just reminded me of this, randomly... I'll never forget the day my giant of a man, white, Louisiana privilege-raised boss stood up in the middle of our department and called out to his black subordinate, "Hey, J, why is it that black people can't swim?"

He literally had NO clue why that might be inappropriate to ask, or why the one random black girl who happened to be in earshot might not be equipped to speak on why that stereotype exists. :hilarious:

Hilarious man. Meant well, 100%.

Well see I don't see color so therefore I don't care. I can however understand why other people would be scared, after watching such things as black lives matter protests going awry, or the stereotypes that minorities place on themselves. Is it unfair? yes, because not all people are bad, but instead of forcing the burden on white people why can't they fix themselves? I'd take the representation issues more seriously if they didn't portrayed themselves in a bad light already.

Comments like these irritate me, I'm so sick of the whole race being judged by the minority in a minority.

When a white person does something negative, it's that person. When a black person does something it's the whole race.

I'm from Detroit, not the burbs, though I now live there. I just came from a country club with my cousin and his wife, who are both Detroiters. He's a cardiologist and his wife has her Master's in Education. I'm college educated and an entrepreneur. My mom has had a black, female run accounting firm for 22 years. My some of my other cousins are CPA's, a few PhD's sprinkled in there.

Therapists, teachers, attorneys, etc. We are all Detroiters.

Two friends are heads of very well known corporations, one of them graduated from Dartmouth.

Another friend of mine (they're all best friends with my cardiatric specialist cousin) graduated from Carnegie Mellon.

My list can go on and on. Seriously.

Then we have those who are making good money at the plants and Casinos.

The blacks that you keep speaking of aren't a true representation of us AT ALL. We hate those idiots too!

Trust me.

That's why we get angry. What the media shows is NOT a real representation of the awesomeness that is our culture.

Shit, even the broke people who dropped out of school that I know still don't act like fools out here.

It's irritating to me because I don't think every Muslim is a terrorist, not all white girls are dick sucking, train-in-your-mouth, cum guzzling sluts, not all Mexicans are gang bangers and not all Indians have convenience stores or white men being Serial Killing, human flesh eating, dog fuckers... But yet, talk about blacks and it's always "they", "them", etc. Well WE are tired of the minority of us being how the majority are viewed.

Because it's largely incorrect.

Also, moving into black neighborhoods was brought up. The color of the area isn't the problem, I live in a majority black suburb and LOVE it. But if you put a bunch of poor people in one area, take away quality education and remove decent transportation so that they are almost forced to stay in that environment, that's where the problems begin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back