• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
That is one hell of a cool website.

There is also a very good sketch of him and I would say he could be middle eastern, even tho he seemed to appear to be white European, that being said, my answer to this mystery is........

ALIENS:cyclops:

And he chose a horribly painful way to die, strychnine poisoning. Maybe he wanted to "punish" himself for some reason.

Strychnine poisoning can be fatal to humans and other animals and can occur by inhalation, swallowing or absorption through eyes or mouth. It produces some of the most dramatic and painful symptoms of any known toxic reaction. For this reason, strychnine poisoning is often portrayed in literature and film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_poisoning

Kinda seems like he might have been looking for someone, from the description of his wandering in and out of shops, outside to the taxis and back in, etc. Perhaps he was supposed to meet someone there and they didn't show up?

I've nothing of real value to add except my thanks to @mybum62 for this most interesting read.

I was impressed at the tone of sympathy and dignity each of the persons connected to the case took on regarding "Neil." We've a boatload of folks found but never named as well, but an elderly average-on-average man found as this one was would scarcely make a news story, let alone fetch such dogged determination among the investigation chain.
I realize we haven't the resources to afford this kind of enrrgy to every person found, but it sure was nice.

I've no theories except that I dont believe he was being pursued or forced to his final state, nor was he in any obvious anguish or fear... I believe he set out to do what he did and for whatever reason, he reckoned that was the place in which to do it. It certainly was beautiful (if you like that sort of thing.)

Nice progress thus far, good people. Your concern for a dead old man was touching and beautiful. He was, after all, once someone's baby boy.

Goodnight Neil, whoever you were. I hope you were treated as well in life as you were in death. You sure gave them a puzzle, as you undoubtedly knew you would. I look forward to knowing you better in the future. I've got a feeling they're going to keep working until you're properly identified and sent home. Godspeed, sir.

Thanks again for posting!

Wondering if some anonymous passerby arranged his body in repose, but didn't want to get involved in reporting. The convulsions should have left his limbs in disarray.

He planned an epic punk. He knew he was unassuming in life, but people sure we're going to remember him in death.

I've nothing of real value to add except my thanks to @mybum62 for this most interesting read.

I was impressed at the tone of sympathy and dignity each of the persons connected to the case took on regarding "Neil." We've a boatload of folks found but never named as well, but an elderly average-on-average man found as this one was would scarcely make a news story, let alone fetch such dogged determination among the investigation chain.
I realize we haven't the resources to afford this kind of enrrgy to every person found, but it sure was nice.

I've no theories except that I dont believe he was being pursued or forced to his final state, nor was he in any obvious anguish or fear... I believe he set out to do what he did and for whatever reason, he reckoned that was the place in which to do it. It certainly was beautiful (if you like that sort of thing.)

Nice progress thus far, good people. Your concern for a dead old man was touching and beautiful. He was, after all, once someone's baby boy.

Goodnight Neil, whoever you were. I hope you were treated as well in life as you were in death. You sure gave them a puzzle, as you undoubtedly knew you would. I look forward to knowing you better in the future. I've got a feeling they're going to keep working until you're properly identified and sent home. Godspeed, sir.

Thanks again for posting!

You are very welcome. This was one of the best and most interesting article I've read pertaining to a missing person. As I read it...my thoughts matched yours to a tee. They are doing an awesome investigataion. I do believe he may be identified some day. So much compassion, dignity and dedication has been shown toward this man. I'd love to hear more about his journey back to his family where he belongs. The mountain obviously had some meaning to him...perhaps he lost a relative on the plane or planes that crashed in that area...or perhaps he was related to one of the children killed by the monster couple. Something drew him there to commit suicide. Its a place that had meaning to him.

I had a feeling that several Demonites would show interest in this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I have hope and faith that he will be identified.

That is one hell of a cool website.

I was so impressed by the cool site. This story is truly interesting for sure. Now I am off to Google who Brady and Myra Hindley were. Never heard of them before.

Edited: I do know their story but I only when I read Moors murders.

You are very welcome. This was one of the best and most interesting article I've read pertaining to a missing person. As I read it...my thoughts matched yours to a tee. They are doing an awesome investigataion. I do believe he may be identified some day. So much compassion, dignity and dedication has been shown toward this man. I'd love to hear more about his journey back to his family where he belongs. The mountain obviously had some meaning to him...perhaps he lost a relative on the plane or planes that crashed in that area...or perhaps he was related to one of the children killed by the monster couple. Something drew him there to commit suicide. Its a place that had meaning to him.

I had a feeling that several Demonites would show interest in this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I have hope and faith that he will be identified.

I like your idea about the plane crashes. That would also explain why he knew where he wanted to go, but didn't know the way there. Clearly he lived in Pakistan for some length of time.

Maybe he was expecting someone, and they arrived late only to find him dead. It had been raining, so no significant tracks would be left.

Last edited:
The identity of man whose death sparked worldwide interest after his body was found on Saddleworth Moor has finally been revealed.

David Lytton, 67, from London, was discovered at Dove Stone Reservoir on the moor on 12 December 2015.

A court has heard he flew into London Heathrow from Lahore, Pakistan, two days before his body was found. He was identified from photos from a passenger list and picked up on CCTV in London.

The inquest was told that extensive police inquiries led to detectives concentrating on flight data from Pakistan to London.

This uncovered that Mr Lytton travelled from Lahore to London Heathrow on 10 December and appeared to have no return travel arrangements.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) told the BBC his identity was confirmed as a result of a DNA match with a relative.

His family has been informed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38757699

And he chose a horribly painful way to die, strychnine poisoning. Maybe he wanted to "punish" himself for some reason.
very interesting point as when identified his life is more of a mystery along with the way he lived. A lost love? a murdered one? He sounded lie he was beating himself up for the last 35 years

1zeavsj.jpg

He looks like anyone's grandpa. I'm shocked he was finally identified! Way to go detectives!

:( One neighbor said she knew him for 34 years and she never saw him receiving any visitors.

Looks like he just wanted to find a beautiful place to die. But ugh, rat poison?

He spent most of his life in Streatham, South London, and moved to Pakistan in 2006. It is believed he lived in Pakistan illegally and left for the UK because his visa was about to expire. Mr. Lytton wasn't religious, and may have been persuaded to move there by a Pakistani friend. So we know he had at least one friend.

very interesting point as when identified his life is more of a mystery along with the way he lived. A lost love? a murdered one? He sounded lie he was beating himself up for the last 35 years

It will be interesting to hear more details about his life, the loss of a loved one that he never got over is my guess.

The poor guy just wanted to die by himself, unidentified, and now everyone and their dog will know every detail of his life.

http://newssummedup.com/summary/Saddleworth-Moor-man-‘had-visa-problems’-gkmeds
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/27263...le-visitor-in-34-years-say-london-neighbours/
http://newssummedup.com/summary/Saddleworth-Moor-man-‘had-visa-problems’-gkmeds

I am so glad they finally identified him. This was one of the more interesting mysteries I've read. So many twists and turns. So many unanswered questions. Still.

He became known as the Body on the Moor. And the struggle to identify him became one of the strangest mysteries.

No mobile, no identification of any kind. No family or friends came forward.

One of the few people with any insight into the puzzle behind the man's death was Maureen Toogood.

Maureen had a relationship with a man starting in the late 1960s. They didn't marry and she ended up marrying someone else but they stayed friends. For 40 years they saw each other regularly - she helped him in his garden and around the house.

Then in 2006 he simply vanished from Maureen's life - upped sticks and left the country. She believed he had sold his home and emigrated to California.

The first Maureen heard was when she received a call from his neighbour. She was told he was going to California the following day.

"I was very hurt by this," she says. She was unable to contact him because his phone had been disconnected. Since then, she says, she has thought about him often.

Eleven years later she got another phone call. This time from the police.

They had finally identified the body on the moor. They were calling because it was David Lytton, her friend.

They knew little of his life and Maureen was able to fill in some of the gaps.

David grew up in the north London suburb of Finchley. He was born David Keith Lautenberg on 21 April, 1948 to Sylvia and Hyman Lautenberg. He was Jewish, his family having originally come to Britain fleeing from Europe. At some time, his immediate family changed their name from Lautenberg. He changed his name to David Lytton in 1986.

Maureen and David met not long after he left Leeds University. He had gone to study psychology and sociology but, according to the police, he suffered from hypothyroidism and found it difficult to sleep at night. Instead, he slept during the day and didn't get the grades he wanted. When he returned to London he fell out with his family and moved out of his home.

Maureen describes David as a "strange" man with some "quirky ways". "But I did like him," she says. "He was very particular, very precise and a gentleman. He was a lovely, lovely man."

He didn't have any hobbies or particular interests that she knew of. But the police have discovered that David had an interest in different religions, including Buddhism and Islam.

His last job was as a driver for the London Underground, one which he was well-suited to, says Maureen. "He enjoyed that - he liked his own company. He was a loner."

Maureen and David had a pregnancy which ended in miscarriage. She says he changed greatly after that.

Unbeknown to Maureen, David put his house up for sale in 2005. It sold on 4 October 2006, and he left for Pakistan on 6 October - not California as Maureen had mysteriously been told.

His departure, it seems, was part of a plan - not a sudden disappearance.

From David's visa for Pakistan, the police have been able to fill in some blanks.

The found out that he set up home in an area called Hassan Town in Lahore.

Neighbours say he kept himself to himself. One said he used to read all the time and visit the local internet cafe.

"He never bothered anybody, though local lads teased him at times," one told the BBC. "He was nice to his neighbours and ate food sent by his next door neighbours. You would see him going for a walk in the morning, dressed in a tracksuit."

Another recalled him returning from the hospital after he had the plate fitted.

"His friend requested me to arrange for his food while he was on bed-rest," said Ejaz Ahmad. "So my family looked after him, our children used to bring him fruit and go to the bakery to buy him cake or pastry. So he was in bed for 15 to 20 days and then he started walking slowly."

Another said that he was a Muslim and that David told him that he had converted in 1996.

"Now, I don't know whether he said this in view of the treatment meted out to Christians here, as they are made to eat in separate pots from us, Muslims, but he definitely told me that he was a Muslim."

The police say there is no evidence to suggest that he had converted to Islam.

At the inquest in Manchester, Coroner Simon Nelson said Mr Lytton "died of his own hand", but he couldn't be sure whether Mr Lytton had intended to take his own life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39255114

Don't know if this has been posted, but some follow-up from an old friend.

'A lovely man': The woman who dated the Man on the Moor

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39255114?post_id=10210458247506307_10210777156198825

Timeline - David Lytton's final journey - from Lahore to Saddleworth Moor

Thursday 10 December 2015

• 10:30 - Boards a Pakistan International Airways plane in Lahore and travels to London. He sits in economy seat 25C.
  • 15:30 - Lands at Heathrow - he is met by a friend of 35 years and they have dinner together at the airport.
  • Evening - Checks into the Travelodge in Ealing Broadway and books a room for five days.
Friday 11 December 2015

• 09:04 - He pays £4.80 cash for a single ticket at Ealing Broadway and gets on the tube.
  • 09:50 - At Euston station pays £81.60 cash for an off-peak return ticket to Manchester.
  • 10:00 - Train departs, on its journey it stops at Stoke-on-Trent, Macclesfield and Stockport.
  • 12:07 - Arrives on platform 6 at Manchester Piccadilly. At the station he visits a gambling arcade, Boots, WH Smith and buys an M&S sandwich.
  • 13:00 - Leaves Manchester Piccadilly station on foot towards the city centre.
  • There are a "missing 59 minutes" in the timeline - the police do not know how he got from the station to a pub 12 miles away.
  • 14.00 - Walks into The Clarence Pub in the village of Greenfield, close to Saddleworth Moor - he asks the locals for, "directions to the top of the mountain".
  • 16.00 - As the sun sets across the moor, he passes two RSPB members walking down from the mountain.
Saturday 12 December 2015

• 10:47 - David's body is discovered by a cyclist high up on the moor.
  • The cyclist calls the police. Incident Log 936 reads "male deceased found in local beauty spot".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back