• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-playground/tCc4fFJFXjLAe3D8R5zE2N/story.html

The parents of a toddler left by himself at a Mattapan playground Saturday were identified Sunday evening, but the boy remains in state custody as officials investigate why the child was alone and the parents didn’t come forward for nearly 20 hours.

State Department of Children and Families spokeswoman Andrea Grossman said in a statement that the boy is in the agency’s custody while it investigates the case.

At about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, a toddler thought to be about 2 years old was found by himself, barefoot and riding a tricycle near the swing set and ladders of the Ryan Playground on River Street in Mattapan.

He appeared to be in good health when he was found, police said.

The playground includes an area with dry ground and swing sets, as well as a small water park with sprinklers.

Police said the boy gave his name as “Adriel” and was placed into DCF custody while investigators began searching for his family.

By around 2 p.m. Sunday, no one had come forward to report the boy missing, and Boston police posted the child’s photograph and a plea for the public’s help on the department’s official blog.

Grossman and Boston police did not release further information Sunday on why it took nearly a day for parents to be identified or why family members did not report the boy missing.

The parents were either sleeping off the drugs or cleaning house in case CPS and the cops show during that 20 hours. Bets?

The parents were either sleeping off the drugs or cleaning house in case CPS and the cops show during that 20 hours. Bets?
My ex husband lost our son once. He was 3. He left him sitting outside alone in his condo complex because it was almost my time to pick him up.
Our son walked to his friends condo and went inside to play. He was missing for an hour.

My ex never did that again.

Not because he learned anything. Because not long after that, he robbed a bank and went to prison.

Because not long after that, he robbed a bank and went to prison.

Most likely a good decision on his part, much easier to keep him away from children. Rule #1. You never, ever take your eyes off of a 3yo. They are very crafty at that age.

My ex never did that again.

Not because he learned anything. Because not long after that, he robbed a bank and went to prison.

Damn I love a great twist ending!

Now to this one...
Tweaked out scumbags I am thinking.
Keep the child away and sterilize them both.
Future problems solved and child gets a chance at a good life.

We have those hipsters too, out here in hipster land... do they need some? We have plenty to spare! :playful:

No way, we are a Mecca here for hipsters! Vancouver even more so.

Sigh. I might be slowly becoming one, my coffee habits are showing the truth!

Apparently, there was a misunderstanding. The boy’s parents thought he was with other family members and the family members thought the boy was with his parents, a police source said. No one has been charged at this point. The Department of Children and Families is continuing to investigate the situation, a spokeswoman said last night.

From @mybum62's link

Apparently, there was a misunderstanding. The boy’s parents thought he was with other family members and the family members thought the boy was with his parents, a police source said. No one has been charged at this point. The Department of Children and Families is continuing to investigate the situation, a spokeswoman said last night.

This happened when I lived in the hood, too. There were three little children who belonged to a neighbor. She thought another neighbor with kids was watching them, and she went to the store. That neighbor thought they were with their mom, and left with her children. These youngins were wandering around outside, so I brought them inside, threw my one Disney movie on the TV (long before I had a kid of my own), wrote their names on three red solo cups (I was in my early 20s), and gave them milk and cookies.

I'm glad they were too young to distrust white people, like the rest of the kids in the neighborhood. We kept an eye out for mom, and she was very appreciative when she returned (after not terribly long).

These things happen.

Really? Hmm. Well you learn something new every day right? I've been a name freak for about 35 years, at one point I had an obscene amount (for a non parent) of about 24 baby name books. I had books based on culture, popularity, trends, the works. I have honestly never seen this one, or heard it anywhere before. :bookworm::):bookworm:

I only know because I am Latina and my cousin is named Adriel. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: We also love making up shitty names and this one could have been a damn mixture of the parents name. Pretty much all my cousins do that when they have a kid. Hybrid names and then get offended when I can't spell it. I like traditional stuff. Keep it simple for me, please.

Last edited:
I have a typo for my name and my mom kept that shit. Now when anyone sees the spelling they almost go into convulsions. I never assume anything when it comes to names. At work I always ask "Is it spelled the traditional way?". It's much better than saying "Did you parents name you after dropping acid?".

I have a very traditional name, Cindy, nothing creative about it. It's been spelled a variety of ways too. But the most original was once at Wendy's, the cashier asked my name to put it on the receipt, she spelled it Sendy. But really when someone tells me their name I assume it's just spelled regularly unless they say it's different, I figure it's on them to tell me if it's spelled different from millions of others with the same name.

I have a very traditional name, Cindy, nothing creative about it. It's been spelled a variety of ways too. But the most original was once at Wendy's, the cashier asked my name to put it on the receipt, she spelled it Sendy. But really when someone tells me their name I assume it's just spelled regularly unless they say it's different, I figure it's on them to tell me if it's spelled different from millions of others with the same name.

I once had a broker erase my name and then wrote it down the way he thought it should be spelled. I was so offended that in every email I would call him Justine instead of Justin. He got fed up one day and called me to tell me his name is Justin and not Justine. I responded that I would accept the spelling of his name when he respected mine. That ended all the bullshit.

One thing is to assume it's spelled traditionally but to correct that person as if they aren't sure how to spell their own name is just asking for trouble.

My name is spelled the way it would be if it was a man's name or a last name. Graduating seniors at my school all received gift bags with toiletries and stuff, so of course I received one for guys. In addition to that, it has two r's and two l's. If I had been smart I'd have set up my personal e-mail with just my first initial and last name, but, no, it's my full name so there's three damned consecutive l's to worry about. :rolleyes:

Mines not a typo....just adds an extra letter to include my moms name. She didn't slaughter it or anything just made it impossible to find a coffee mug, pencil or Christmas ornament that wasnt custom made.

Back