• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Story flagged up by @Keepalowprofile

In a suburb known for its version of Australian glitz and hipness, the Bondi hoarders' fame stands apart for all the wrong reasons.

They are a reminder that behind sunny Australian facades there lies a darker space where people who've fallen through the cracks reside.

The Bobolas family - Mary and daughters Elena and Liana - are no ordinary residents. For more than two decades they have been engaged in an ongoing battle with the local Waverley Council and nearby neighbours.

At issue is the extraordinary amount of junk at their property, just an eight-minute stroll from Bondi Beach.

In a suburb of skyrocketing property prices, the Boonara Avenue house, bought for A$25,000 (£13,400; $18,500) in 1970, has long been piled high with the family's collected items.

Plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, children's toys, car hubcabs, milk crates, mattresses, assorted rubbish, even old surfboards - you name it.

At intervals, the council forcibly clears the mess around the house. It never take long for the rubbish to start mounting again, and the clear-ups are costly.

But [the bill for cleaning up the mess] the council is intent on recouping. On three occasions it has sought orders to have the house forcibly sold and the money recovered. However, on each occasion the family has been able to stave off proceedings and hang on to the house at the last minute.

The first attempt was in February last year, where a bill for $180,000 was covered just prior to sale. On the second occasion, a procedural legal technicality saw the auction again cancelled.

Another attempt sale was scheduled to take place on June 9. The advertisement for the pending auction said the property was "positioned in one of the suburb's most conveniently located streets" and gave potential buyers "the amazing opportunity to build your dream home (subject to council approval)".

But there was a catch. The new owner would be responsible for removing the Bobolas family from what is presumably their existing dream property.

Just 50 minutes before the auction was to begin, the family applied for a stay of proceedings. The next day an extraordinary scene played out in a Sydney court when the family arrived with plastic bags they said contained enough money to cover the currently outstanding clean up costs and legal fees - about A$177,000 in cash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36616920

If you look closely at the photo in the link, you'll see an orange/white cat hidden in the pile of rubbish. That is one well-fed cat. Lots of dining on rats.

Their property looks like the city dump. It's sad friends pitched in all that money to cover their legal fees when it would have been better spent on mental health assistance.

If you look closely at the photo in the link, you'll see an orange/white cat hidden in the pile of rubbish. That is one well-fed cat. Lots of dining on rats.

Holy shit!!!
oiex00.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

It took me awhile to find the cat. Like a fucking hidden objects picture. :eek:
Poor kitty kitty. (I wonder if his name is Waldo)

Good Grief, poor kitty to have to live in that, but I guess the kitty is loving all the mouses.
[doublepost=1466960312,1466959943][/doublepost]I know that these well to do people want that eyesore cleaned up, but it's still a health hazard for the entire neighborhood, especially for the people living there. The Bobolas family needs help.

And oh yeah I found the cat, he's well camouflaged. LOL

Just 50 minutes before the auction was to begin, the family applied for a stay of proceedings. The next day an extraordinary scene played out in a Sydney court when the family arrived with plastic bags they said contained enough money to cover the currently outstanding clean up costs and legal fees - about A$177,000 in cash.

Insanity at its best.

Nope, not sure at all.
It could be a stuffed cat and just part of the hoard? Lol
I've seen enough episodes of hoarders to think that if they picked it up, it would be two dimensional and flat as a pancake.

I saw one where they were pulling cat corpses out by the dozens, but mom swore she loved them all and took great care of them! :eek:

I've seen enough episodes of hoarders to think that if they picked it up, it would be two dimensional and flat as a pancake.

I saw one where they were pulling cat corpses out by the dozens, but mom swore she loved them all and took great care of them! :eek:

Hoarders scares me!!! :bag:

It is my cleaning motivation show. Put that show on, and it becomes so much easier to throw everything away. take a picture and toss that shit..
cuz Nope

The episode that sticks out the most to me is the one where they still kept shitting in a toilet that didn't work anymore. Literally FEET of shit piling out of the toilet. Like they would have had to stand on the seat n shit, it was so high, and Im still curious as to how it even got that high- seriously wondered if they got a step ladder n shit from that it was so high :eek: Like a shit tree growing from a toilet bowl planter. :bag::bag::bag::bag:

That one ^^
and the one with the guy that hoarded RATS!
Enough said. that one gave me nightmares.

The next day an extraordinary scene played out in a Sydney court when the family arrived with plastic bags they said contained enough money to cover the currently outstanding clean up costs and legal fees - about A$177,000 in cash.

The fuck?

It's funny because I work and throw my garbage away in a bin and not in my front yard, and can't even afford to buy a small appartment. Har har har. Hilarious.
:arghh::shifty:

Median price AUS 2,150,000
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-bondi-119170023
Here is Boonara Ave street view. Its a tiny street.
I wanted to see a trash filled yard :(
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.89...Yb2zZ360XHmYtmfDOg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
"Walked" around for a bit - til I got here. Holy crap. Pan around..:drool:

Such cute bungalows on that street! I long for a bungalow. :cat:

Here's the address: 19 Boonara Ave, NSW
Street View July 2014 (check out the tourist puking over the wall into the trash pile, or hunting for dead cats):
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.89...!2e0!5s20140701T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
(earlier views are good too)

Here's a fabulous article on the hoarders, recalling how they tried to hoard a rental van provided by a Good (n' Dumb) Samaritan. Lots of gory pics!

The family found itself camped out in Alexandria, 15km by road from their Bondi home, after a rental truck they were using was repossessed.

Since the NSW Court of Appeal approved Waverley Council’s bid to clean up the house in Boonara Avenue, the family has been camping out in the cab of a pantech hired from rental car company, Thrifty.

The truck was actually rented by a good Samaritan, moved by the family’s plight and their need to move their belongings and hundreds of kilos of collected rubbish from their house.

The good Samaritan handed over the truck to the Bobalas on Thursday March 13, believing they would hand him back the keys when the two-week rental agreement ran out. :rolleyes:

When the man, who Thrifty declined to identify, went around to the house last Monday to pick up the truck, the Bobolases allegedly refused to hand over the keys.

They had even used their own padlocks to lock up the truck’s rollerdoor.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-van-repossessed/story-fni0cx4q-1226872686668

Last edited:
Good God what a mess in the middle of all those nice places. There's just no reason to ruin a property like that. Can you imagine the rats and roaches and other vermin that comes out of that to infest the neighbor's houses? Australian Spiders!!!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I would be so fucking pissed if I were their neighbor's. Do these people actually live inside of the house? It looks like they hoarded themselves out. I can't even imagine what the inside looks like.

I don't understand why they are allowed to continue this public nuisance behavior. How many times have officials had to intervene?

I have watched that show Hoarders, and 99% of the hoarders are assholes, old, and set in their ways. They aren't going to change. I don't have the patience to deal with people like that. People try to help them, and of course they aren't grateful. They value their trash more than they value other people.

These people and property have been a regular feature in the news here for over a decade now. Every couple of years, the council cleans it up and they start over. No shit. What you see is only a few years collecting at most.

With the property set to go under the hammer at 5pm yesterday, at 4.25pm Mary Bobolas and daughters Elena and Liana arrived at the NSW Sheriff office with enough cash to put the sale on hold.

The Australian understands that while it wasn’t the entire $160,000 owed to Waverley Council for clean-up costs and legal bills, it was a “substantial proportion”. With the clock ticking, it took six members of the Sheriff’s staff to count it.

Ric Serrao, director of Raine & Horne’s Double Bay real estate agency, had been charged with selling the property.

“This is the fourth time in 14 months we’ve tried to auction the property,” he said. “It’s just been stressful for all concerned, whether it’s been the family or residence.

“We also had a lot of local residents pop in to view the auction; they’ve been dealing with the situation for the last 26 years.

“But we received a call from our client, the Sheriff’s office, that the Bobolas (family) were there to pay the debt.

“We’ve been asked to postpone the auction and don’t have a new auction date at this time.”

Mr Seraro said he had 17 bidders interested in the property — which was expected to go for about $2 million, given one nearby of a similar size but in much better condition recently went for $4.275m — with one potential buyer flying up from Melbourne.

One potential buyer, who asked not to be named, said it was a case of “third time unlucky for me”.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...f/news-story/d3f839c8181a02a82dc6733db42cce7a

Last edited:
Their property looks like the city dump. It's sad friends pitched in all that money to cover their legal fees when it would have been better spent on mental health assistance.

I completely agree. Why are they wasting their and their friends' money to keep paying fines and clean up fees? Pay for some legitimate therapy to go along with a clean up crew! If nothing else, that's one thing Hoarders does correctly: puts therapy in place at the same time and makes it available to the client (if they'll do it). Unfortunately, hoarding is a mental illness... Those of us who don't do it don't see it the way they do. Some of us can understand it sometimes, and then there are other types of it (e.g., the shit mountain; dead, suffering, and dying pets that we claim to love) that we'll simply never comprehend. Ever.

I think the most infuriating thing about this story is that the family seems quite ok abt taking advantage of good people's generosity and makes no attempt to change. Of course, I could totally be wrong. All three of those women could be appreciative and batshit crazy (beyond the obvious)!
The episode that sticks out the most to me is the one where they still kept shitting in a toilet that didn't work anymore. Literally FEET of shit piling out of the toilet. Like they would have had to stand on the seat n shit, it was so high, and Im still curious as to how it even got that high- seriously wondered if they got a step ladder n shit from that it was so high :eek: Like a shit tree growing from a toilet bowl planter. :bag::bag::bag::bag:

"Like a shit tree growing from a toilet bowl planter."

Best damn thing I've read all week!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I've seen the shit mountain (Mount Shit? Mount Shitmore? Mount Shitmost?), & it's just as horrifying in reality as you'd imagine from the show.
...I was camping for the weekend at Phoenix International Raceway for a NASCAR race... (eye roll) (that should tell you all you need to know...) (I was just along for the ride, btw.) Let's just say they weren't quick to empty the job Johnnies after the race. :depressed: must've been a lot of ppl with the beer shits during the race...!

Back