• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SimplySpaztastic

The above average, average girl
Bold Member!
This is seriously disturbing.
Nurses with convictions for sexual offenses, drug thefts and crimes of violence have escaped detection under Colorado’s porous system for licensing health care workers, which has far fewer protections than most states.

Colorado is one of six states that does not conduct criminal background checks on applicants for nursing licenses. The state requires massage therapists and private investigators to submit a fingerprint for checks against state and FBI conviction records to get licensed. It’s even a step the legislature decided this year to require of operators of fantasy sports leagues before they set up shop in Colorado.

To identify dangerous applicants or licensees with criminal histories, the nurse licensing system in Colorado mostly relies on self-disclosure and complaints. The process allows nurses deemed unfit for the job in other states to obtain and hold a Colorado license to work as a nurse here or in other states.

Hospitals and other health-care employers in Colorado say they perform their own checks, yet workers with criminal backgrounds continue to find employment. Adding to the problem, hospitals that learn about a nurse’s criminal acts are not required to report them to the state licensing board, so the worker can find another hospital job.

The Denver Post reviewed state nurse discipline records from 2010 to the present involving criminal activity. Among hundreds of records, The Post found dozens of cases in which nurses or applicants failed to reveal convictions and continued working, sometimes for years, as nurses in Colorado. At least seven had convictions for sexual crimes.

The number of nurses working with undisclosed convictions is likely much higher. The Post reviewed only those nurses whose criminal convictions eventually attracted the attention of the Colorado nursing board, sometimes after the nurse was convicted a second or third time or had been fired for misconduct.
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/26/colorado-criminal-background-checks-nurses/

So much more at the link above.

But that answers all questions as to how Rocky Allen was able to be employed at Swedish. He was caught diverting drugs from a surgical patient. After that became known, his troubling past was uncovered. That story here:
http://www.dreamindemon.com/communi...ssibly-exposes-patients-to-hiv-hep-b-c.82225/

I'm kind of speechless right now.

Meh, most of that stuff is bullshit. I could see sexual predators or people with recent drug offenses being excluded, but the problem becomes everyone with any flag on their criminal history gets excluded from ever working.

I've been involved in some barroom brawls in my 20s that have resulted in convictions, so that that supposed to mean I can't ever work as a nurse, even 25 years later?

That's total bullshit and to anyone who calls for such nonsense, I hope your kid gets busted with a big, fat bag of dope on his 18th birthday.

Meh, most of that stuff is bullshit. I could see sexual predators or people with recent drug offenses being excluded, but the problem becomes everyone with any flag on their criminal history gets excluded from ever working.

I've been involved in some barroom brawls in my 20s that have resulted in convictions, so that that supposed to mean I can't ever work as a nurse, even 25 years later?

That's total bullshit and to anyone who calls for such nonsense, I hope your kid gets busted with a big, fat bag of dope on his 18th birthday.

I agree

I totally agree with you. However, the problem with not checking, is a catch 22. As the recent case of Rocky Allen has proven. And then to think that some sex offender could be my nurse while I'm under anesthesia is a little unsettling.

I certainly think they should check your licensure history for disciplinary action, and hopefully that should weed out any convinced pervert or drug diverter.

Back