• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Hellsbells

Trusted Member
Remembering a five-year-old girl

KENT COUNTY -- Joy Heaven, a foster mother accused of inflicting fatal brain injuries to a 5-year-old girl in her custody, is expected to be arraigned this afternoon, court officials said this morning.
2ppzz45.jpg

Heaven, 30, is being held in the Kent County Jail. State records show her detention is on a homicide charge.

Heaven was arrested about 1 p.m. Tuesday, records show.

Police have released few details about the death of Emily Meno. The girl's grandfather today said she suffered a traumatic injury last Thursday night or early Friday. She died Friday, Hank Schriever said.
20kt4qf.jpg

"She had blood on the brain," Schriever said of his granddaughter.

It's unclear how long Emily had been in Heaven's care or how long the woman was licensed as a foster parent. Emily was placed there through Bethany Christian Services, which declined to comment Tuesday.

Emily's twin sister also was in that foster mother's home, but was not injured, the girls' grandfather said.

In a MySpace.com posting, Heaven wrote on Monday, "Feels so empty, but knowing you all care helps. I have some details. Viewing on wed, funeral on thurs. still seeing her sparkle in every..."

On the page, Heaven says she received foster-care training in Tallahassee, Fla., then returned to Michigan to be near family.

"i have decided to become a foster parent...," she wrote on the site. "i realized that i needed the local support of my family. so lola (the cat) and i packed up and moved back to michigan. we're living the life in grand rapids now. just waiting to get situated and on my feet again here."

Heaven grew up in Hesperia and has traveled widely, she said on her website.

A woman reached in Hesperia at the Heaven residence said the family is not commenting.

"We're too distraught right now to think," the woman said.

Kent County Sheriff's Capt. Tim Hanrahan said the foster parent, a single woman, was cooperative, but he declined to offer her explanation of what happened.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/07/joy_heaven_30_to_be_arraigned.html

Lots more info at the link

KENT COUNTY - Bond was set this afternoon at $10,000 for Joy Heaven, the foster mother charged with murder while committing child abuse, in the death of a 5 year old girl last weekend.

Heaven appeared very emotional as a judge read the charges. The Kent County Sheriff's Department was called to the hospital to investigate the circumstances of injuries sustained by Emily Meno on Friday, July 16th. Emily passed away on July 17th. An autopsy revealed the cause of death was a severe bleeding of the brain.

According to a court affidavit, on July 15th, paramedics were called to Heaven's home in Gaines Township for a child who would not wake up. Heaven first told paramedics that she believed that Emily had suffered an epileptic seizure. She was placed on life support for two days. July 17th, she was removed from life support and died.

After the autopsy results came back, the affidavit says Heaven admitted around 8 p.m. on the night of July 15, she was "frustrated with Emily for wetting her pants and being in her way," so she shoved Emily "really hard." The force threw Emily so hard, her feet went through the air, and landed on her head in the kitchen. Emily was unconscious for a few seconds, but woke up. Heaven told investigators she sent Emily to bed. After 10 p.m., Emily woke up and vomitted, then passed out. That's when Heaven called 911. The Medical Examiner, Dr. Stephen Cohle, said the autopsy supports the explanation given by Heaven.

Emily and her twin sister were under the foster care of Joy Heaven, a 30 year old single woman who received the girls through Bethany Christian Services.

Bethany Christians Services, based in Grand Rapids, would not comment on the specific case but said they are in shock and devastated by the situation.

BCS issued the license to the foster parent with the approval of the state and does an extensive background and screening.

"I don't believe it," said Betty Meno, the child's biological grandmother. She says she met the foster mother a couple of times when the girls would come to visit, but that they didnt' live with her for very long.

"I personally didn't think they should have been in foster care," said Meno. Betty says the girls were taken away because their mother had a low IQ, but wouldn't get into details.

The twins went through many challenges. Tiffany suffers seizures and was autistic. Their older sister died in car crash back in 2008. The twins bounced around from foster care home to foster care home.

"They had a hard life, but they were happy somtimes," said Betty Meno. Emily was said to love the toy "Clifford" and the color purple. She had big eyes and cury hair.

Her obit says she was attending Wellerwood Preschool in Grand Rapds and was getting ready to start kindergarten in the fall.

Her funeral will be held on Thursday at Rockford Springs Community Church.

Family members dont' know what to think of the situation but take comfort knowing the little girl who had a tough go on her short life is in a better place.

"She is in Heaven with Jesus and her older sister and shes' not hurting and she's not crying but I am going to miss her," said Meno.

http://www.fox17online.com/news/landing/fox17-5-year-old-killed,0,5055594.story

So damn sad, now the last sis will have NO ONE. God dammit

I am surprised a "christian" service would allow a single mom to foster kids. All the ones I met didnt think a woman was worth a fuck unless she proved she loved to gobble penis.

I want to know what the fuck is up with the low bail ?

No doubt!!!! Murder of a child no matter how it happens should be a much more serious offense and carry more time. I get so sick of seeing the baby beaters and killers do less time then a crack dealer! Where is the justice in THAT?

Heaven admitted around 8 p.m. on the night of July 15, she was "frustrated with Emily for wetting her pants and being in her way," so she shoved Emily "really hard." The force threw Emily so hard, her feet went through the air, and landed on her head in the kitchen. Emily was unconscious for a few seconds, but woke up. Heaven told investigators she sent Emily to bed. After 10 p.m., Emily woke up and vomitted, then passed out. That's when Heaven called 911. The Medical Examiner, Dr. Stephen Cohle, said the autopsy supports the explanation given by Heaven.

No you evil sea cow, that's not a shove. You murdered this sweet young child for wetting her pants and being in your way. Then don't fucking become a foster parent, you whore.

Grrrr this story has just made me feel rage.

I suggest we remove her baby making bits, then ban her from foreign and domestic adoption groups. Same thing with the foster parent thing.

It's insane. There are people who would die to have such an adorable little one, and she removed her off the face of the earth. Honestly, what the hell?

Is it just me, or is the irony too much that her name was Joy Heaven?

The woman accused of killing her 5-year-old foster daughter rejected a plea deal at her preliminary exam in a Kent County courtroom.

Joy Heaven, charged formally in July with murder while committing child abuse, was offered a deal to plead guilty to second-degree murder. But her attorney said she was not willing to accept the offer at this time.
[...]

Medical examiner Dr. Stephen Cohle testified that, in his opinion, a 5-year-old child could not fall from a standing position and suffer the type of injury Emily incurred.

But Heaven's attorney asked if different children might react differently to injuries. Cohle said that, based on his examination alone, he can't pinpoint exactly when Emily's brain injury happened.

He also testified someone with adult strength would be needed to provide the force Emily felt, and that in his opinion, this was not an accident.

A detective testified Heaven admitted pushing Emily with one hand, and hit her head as she flew back, going unconscious for 10-15 seconds.

The preliminary exam was adjourned for at least a week to give Judge Steven Servaas the time to view the video of Joy Heaven's police interview.

She is not in jail, as she posted the $10,000 bond in July. If convicted, Heaven faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_county/Foster-mom-to-court-for-murder-hearing

Joy Heaven? wow, with a name like that you'd think well, she wouldn't be a baby killing bitch.

She is not in jail, as she posted the $10,000 bond in July. If convicted, Heaven faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Not in Jail but baby Emily's body is cold in the ground. So unfair. Some day I plan to foster children. It is something I want to do to give to the child, NOT take from them.
"They had a hard life, but they were happy somtimes," said Betty Meno. Emily was said to love the toy "Clifford" and the color purple. She had big eyes and cury hair.
Aw, my toddler loves clifford too. You hardly got a fair chance sweetheart, in the heavens now you will be happy always.
Still, a happy long life should have been yours....In heaven's light little Emily, loved always.
EmilyMeno.jpg

Last edited:
Joy Heaven, a foster mother accused of killing a 5-year-old girl she was caring for, rejected a plea offer from prosecutors today, the second time she's refused to admit responsibility for the death in two months.

Authorities say Heaven, 30, killed Emily Meno on July 17 inside her Gaines Township home, pushing her hard enough for the girl to sail across the kitchen floor, strike her head and became unconscious.

Kent County prosecutors gave Heaven the option of pleading guilty to second-degree murder, down from the first-degree murder charge she faces. The deal, had it been accepted, allows parole instead of mandatory life in prison. Prosecutors offered Heaven the same option in September.

Heaven now will head to trial on the alleged murder offense.

In an interview with police, days after the girl's death, Heaven said that she had a stressful time with the girl wetting herself, not taking her medicine, then getting in the way as Heaven also cared for Emily's disabled twin sister.

She told authorities that she looked up concussion on the Internet to see what she should do, then called 911 when the child vomited.
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/foster_mom_joy_heaven_accused.html

Foster mother enters no contest plea

A foster mother accused of killing a child in her care will not go to trial.

Jury selection was supposed to begin today in trial for Joy Heaven.

Instead, Heaven entered a "no contest" plea to second degree murder.

Investigators say Heaven got angry when the girl wet herself and shoved her so hard she hit her head and died.

Heaven will be sentenced March 24th.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/heaven-1387622-foster-murder.html

Yeah when you give a legally obtained confession it is in your best interests to gently bend over and willingly kiss your ass good bye.

Hasta La Wego to the fucking cunt!

Lori Meno's five-year-old developmentally disabled twins, Emily and Tiffany, were Joy Heaven's first assignment as a paid foster parent.

She told police she pushed Emily after the child wet the bed and interfered with the care of her sister.

"She smashed her," says Lori Meno. "Threw her on the floor and she hit her head against the wall or on the kitchen floor."

The foster parent faces 15 to 35 years in prison.

Lori Meno will have an opportunity to confront the woman before she is sent away to prison.

"Only thing I want to say to her is why did she do it," says Meno. "Why did she have to kill my little girl?"

The twins were temporarily taken from Lori Meno a year ago to give her time to improve her parenting skills.

Meno says she is working to regain custody of Tiffany.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/154462/14/Woman-pleads-in-foster-child-murder-case

I hope Dingbat gets more than the 15 years (minimum sentence) Please, please let the Judge see her for what she really is and give her a life sentence!

Woman Sentenced To 25 To 50 Years For Killing 5-Year-Old Foster Child

The woman accused of killing her 5-year-old foster child was sentenced Thursday afternoon, receiving 25-50 years. Joy Heaven pleaded no contest last month to a second degree murder charge.

The little girl Emily Meno died of a brain hemorrhage back in July. Emily's biological mother, Lori Meno said she forgave Heaven, but that every day since Emily's death has been a struggle. The girl and her twin sister were taken away from Meno amid charges of neglect.

"I trusted Joy to take care of my girls. I have made mistakes but I never purposely hurt my child. Joy took my child away from me. Every day I struggle with my anger, pain and hurt feelings. I'm afraid it may never go away," Meno said.

Police say Heaven, 30, admitted to them that she was frustrated because Meno was wetting her pants, so she pushed the child hard, and she fell down. The medical examiner compared the trauma to that of someone being hit by a car or falling several stories from a building.

http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox...ld-for-wetting-pants-20110324,0,7066331.story

Hope this bitch gets incontinent in later years and her celly gets frustrated and abusive because she keeps pissing her pants, maybe then she will know what it feels like, I hate the pee stories most of all...

Thank you Judge Mark Trusock!!
Kent County Circuit Court Judge Mark Trusock sentenced 31-year-old Heaven today after telling her that he did not believe she was a bad person and that by all indications, she took good care of the child – until the day she decided to lash out at the child.

“Whether it was frustration or anger or if you were over-burdened, there is no justification for violently striking this precious child,” Trusock said. “This was not an accident, this was an intentional and violent act.”
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/03/joy_heaven_will_spend_between.html
It's not life but it'll do.....
photos of the reactions here: http://photos.mlive.com/4469/gallery/joy_heaven_sentencing/index.html

what' s even more messed up. is She hadnt ever taken care of special needs children and Bethany services pushed her license through when it wasnt ready to be qualified just so they had somewhere to put the Twins. (i've known their family since I was 3)

Well, when it comes down to it. Blame the mom, blame the state, blame anyone for the circumstances that this child was put in.

Me? I blame Heaven. She's the one who delivered the fatal beating. Whether I've dealt with a special needs child or not, if I hit my limit? I call 911 because I need help.

Period. That is what this comes down to. Not training, not certification, it boils down to someone unable to control her temper and not able to walk away and admit that I couldn't handle it.

She deserves every hour...of every day...of every single year.

what' s even more messed up. is She hadnt ever taken care of special needs children and Bethany services pushed her license through when it wasnt ready to be qualified just so they had somewhere to put the Twins. (i've known their family since I was 3)
Who's family? The twins or the killer?

so she pushed the child hard, and she fell down. The medical examiner compared the trauma to that of someone being hit by a car or falling several stories from a building.

The fuck? Is this woman the incredible hulk or something?

Too steep a sentence for what sounds like an accidental death.

Hmm so you know both this girl and are close with the convicted sex offender. Close enough to take up for him at least...... Alrighty then. ;)

Back