• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Pakistan is mourning one of its most famous singers, Amjad Sabri, who was shot dead in Karachi by militants.

Thousands paid their respects, throwing rose petals over an ambulance carrying his coffin. A faction of the Pakistan Taliban claimed Wednesday's attack.

Sabri performed Qawwali devotional music from the Sufi tradition, an Islamic practice opposed by extremists.

He will be laid to rest in Paposhnagar Graveyard next to his father, Qawwali legend Ghulam Farid Sabri.

Qawwali music is the words of Sufi saints set to music, which aims to bring listeners into a trance-like state that helps them establish a close link with God.

The spiritual songs are a lyrical expression of love with a divine being, kept in time to the beat of Eastern musical instruments such as the "Tabla" drums and harmonium.

The devotional music, which dates back several centuries, is also known as "the music of the shrines", and has a special place in the indigenous Islamic faith of the Indian sub-continent.

The early Muslim preachers who came to India tended to assimilate with the local culture, and created a more tolerant and colourful version of the religion, unlike the revivalist creed of today's Taliban.

The Sabri family's association with music dates back to the 17th Century, but Amjad Sabri was the only one among his siblings to take on the mantle of the family tradition. Many of his fans worry that this may be the end of a chapter in Qawwali singing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36603847

It's just so sad that all the militants can see is hate. I'm sure his music was beautiful, but no more because of hate.

Horrible. These radicals won't stop until they kill all culture and beauty, and make everyone as miserable as they are.

Rest in peace. They killed a man for simply singing some traditional music. So intolerant.

I hope I'm wrong with my atheism sometimes. I'd love a front row seat to watching cowardly bastards like the Taliban or Isis etc etc - get their just desserts and realize that Allah and Paradise and 72 virgins etc etc was all a crap shoot. Man, it'd make my day to see the smiles get wiped off their filthy faces.

I've had the misfortune of spending time in a muslim country or two, and in the talibans defense, i'm sure this music no doubt sounded like obnoxious shit.

This was not a civilian murder/assassination. This was an angry muslims group manipulated by a book.
  • One Book to rule them all. One Book to find them,
  • One Book to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
  • In the Land of Islam where the Shadows lie

This was not a civilian murder/assassination. This was an angry muslims group manipulated by a book.
  • One Book to rule them all. One Book to find them,
  • One Book to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
  • In the Land of Islam where the Shadows lie

I didn't realise Tolkien was Muslim? o_O:confused::angelic:

Tolkien was Muslim?
He was a Roman Catholic who was anti-Muslim before it was cool. He most defiantly hated left-wing ideology.
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien made a great infidel, which to liberals means he's Muslim.
No different than Obama telling ignorant Americans that Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant does not include Islamic doctrine.
Fuck Allah and the liberals who kiss Mohammad's unwashed ass.

Last edited:
Back