• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
From cubby's Facebook link ....

Coming to the knowledge of who was behind these attacks is one of the most challenging things that I have come across in a while. I have never had personal dealings with these individuals in the past, however I was well aware of them and despised them for the actions they had taken that resulted in great harm to many people in Canada. It hit me hard this week as I came to the realization that I had never forgiven them and was carrying a great burden as I held these individuals in contempt. Now that contempt was being magnified as I was experiencing their attacks firsthand and it was putting my family into a state of hardship. And they were successful at what they were doing as with the limited amount of fundraising we could do over this past week, we gratefully generated approximately $1000, however we were previously generating that much per day and the past week of court alone will have cost us over $10,000. Needless to say, you can imagine the level of resentment that I was harbouring towards these individuals over this past week as I have had to focus a considerable amount of time on this issue, depriving my family of the limited quality time that we could have, dedicating it towards creating a new and secure infrastructure that we can accept donations from. Due to this I have felt extremely weighed down and captive to my emotions for the past few days.

I have seen some cold, self absorbed and black heartedly mercenary responses coming from parents before but this .... this is about as callous and as mercenary as you can get. He has the nerve to mention individuals he holds in contempt .... he has yet to learn the meaning of what abiding and utter contempt is.

I felt it sounded a lot cold, self-serving and arrogant, but I thought that was just me projecting my contempt upon them. But he seems more worried about not being able to raise the needed funds because of righteous indignation from people who are devastated that this baby died and he shouldn't have, all because his parents are self absorbed, selfish people who think they know it all.

From the father/snake-oil salesman's shameless begging page:

Due to this I have felt extremely weighed down and captive to my emotions for the past few days.

Weighed down and captive to his emotions for a few days? That's terrible. A non-GMO, anti-oxidant-rich 100% organic maple syrup, horseradish and hot pepper enema should clear that up for you quite nicely, Dad.

I'm no more a doctor than you are, but I've read me a Facebook cure-all or two, and I know what I'm talking about. Or at least I think I do. Well, maybe I'm not sure. But it can't do more than kill you, right?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/23/david-collet-stephan-tria_n_9766352.html

David And Collet Stephan Trial: Parents Should've Run To Hospital, Says Crown
LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — The Crown in the trial of an Alberta couple charged with failing to provide the necessaries of life to their toddler son says the case isn't about a lack of love — it's about failure to provide medical help when he needed it.
"This trial is not about murder. It is not about manslaughter. It is not about any offence concerning death. The Crown does not need to prove the accused contributed in any way or had a hand in a death,'' prosecutor Lisa Weich said Saturday in her final submission to the eight woman-four man jury.

"They didn't fail to love him. That's not what this is about. They failed in their duty to provide medical attention. A reasonably prudent parent would have recognized, would have foreseen that Ezekiel was at risk of danger.''
David Stephan, 32, and Collet Stephan, 35, were charged after their 19-month-old son Ezekiel died of bacterial meningitis in March 2012.

The couple didn't seek medical attention until he stopped breathing, and had treated him with things such as hot peppers, garlic, onions and horseradish.

On the evening of March 13, 2012, Ezekiel suddenly stopped breathing. He was rushed to hospital and eventually ended up in Calgary where doctors detected very little brain activity. Ezekiel died a couple of days later.

The Crown says Ezekiel had been sick for more than two weeks and wasn't fully recovered.
"A reasonably prudent parent wouldn't, as David said - wait and see if he got worse,'' said Weich.

"Failing to take him to a doctor was a marked departure from what a reasonably prudent parent would have done ... it's far below the minimum standard of care for children that society expects. They should not have walked to the hospital — they should have run.''

A friend of the Stephans, who is a registered nurse, testified she told the mother that he might have viral meningitis and advised the boy be taken to a doctor.

He wouldn't eat or drink

Court documents entered in the trial show that just days before Ezekiel was rushed to hospital his family was giving him fluids through an eyedropper because he wouldn't eat or drink.

The jury has also heard that Collet Stephan researched treatments for viral meningitis online and the next day picked up an echinacea mixture from a naturopath in Lethbridge.

Court was told Ezekiel was too stiff to sit in his car seat and had to lie on a mattress as they drove to the naturopath's office the day before he stopped breathing.

Weich recounted David Stephan's description of Ezekiel's change in breathing the night he went to hospital. She said it was a six count followed by about five seconds where he seemed to be holding his breath.

Weich was silent for five seconds before continuing her submission.
"That's five seconds. Imagine your kid not breathing for five seconds,'' she continued.

"What do the accused do? The accused wait until Ezekiel stops breathing.''
The charge to the jury is scheduled for Monday afternoon.

I'm keeping my eye on these negligent bastards. Voodoo and shit. Their uppance shall come. :mad:
[doublepost=1461718292,1461642007][/doublepost]http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/alberta-couple-guilty-in-son-s-death-from-meningitis-1.2874832

GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY!

I'll update in a sec fully on my Mac..

One commenter named Erica Anne derided the Stephans as "quack parents using quack medicine" while supporter Linda Pereboeff found it "a scandalous failure of the justice system." Many wrote that their hearts went out to the family and pleaded to know where they could register their opposition to the verdict.

Crown prosecutor Lisa Weich said the conviction ensures people who cannot care for themselves will receive the minimal standard of care expected by society.

"They definitely, definitely loved their son but as stated in our closing arguments, unfortunately sometimes love just isn't enough," Weich said outside court. "Parents still have to follow a standard of care as set by criminal law."

The couple walked slowly out of the court after the verdict accompanied by their lawyer, family and supporters. They did not reply to requests for comment.

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. -- A divisive trial that drew strong opinions from both sides of the naturopathic medicine debate came to a tearful conclusion Tuesday as an eight-woman, four-man jury found an Alberta couple guilty of failing to provide the necessaries of life for their toddler son.

David and Collet Stephan, whose family helped start a nutritional supplements company, were convicted in the death of 19-month-old Ezekiel from meningitis in March 2012.

The trial had been told the couple thought the boy had croup or the flu, so treated him for 2 1/2 weeks with remedies that included hot peppers, garlic, onions and horseradish, even though a family friend who was a nurse told them she thought Ezekiel had meningitis.

The jury was also told Collett Stephan drove the little boy from their rural home to a naturopathic clinic in Lethbridge, Alta., to pick up an echinacea mixture, although he was too stiff to sit in his car seat and had to lie on a mattress on the way.

When the jury delivered its verdict in the second day of deliberations, gasps could be heard in the courtroom.

Collet Stephan, 35, began to weep uncontrollably. Several observers in the gallery also cried, as did two members of the jury.

A Facebook page called "Prayers for Ezekiel" exploded in vitriol and anger from both sides of the issue, with some calling for the death penalty for the Stephans and others calling the proceedings "a travesty of justice."

You weeping folk better be crying for the baby, because this is ridiculous. Your job when you procreate is to KEEP THEM ALIVE. It's item #1 in the handbook (the invisible one, you know, nature provides it somewhere inside of us.. usually)

They should be made an example of. There is a line as to when you decide your holistic interventions aren't helping. Well before your baby boy is too stiff to sit in his carseat...to go to the NATUROPATH.

I get so rage-y over this shit.
*Using that you-can-do-this-without-drugs breathing from when I gave birth.
*It's not you-can-read-this-without-exploding breathing!

[doublepost=1466833372,1461727174][/doublepost]http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/24/david-and-collet-stephan-sentencing_n_10660396.html

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — A couple who failed to get proper medical treatment for their son who died of bacterial meningitis are going to spend time in custody.

A judge in southern Alberta has sentenced David Stephan to four months in jail and his wife, Collet, to three months of strict house arrest — 24 hours a day, seven days a week. She will only be allowed to go out for medical appointments and church.

Both will be on probation for two years after they complete their sentences and will have to complete 240 hours of community service by 2018.

Gross neglect warrants much more punishment than this, IMO.

Gahhhhh. when I think about the indescribable pain that this little guy was in, and the agony he endured it makes me need to throw up. Poor little dude.

Their sentences in no way validate any resemblance of justice. Nope. Not at all. :(

This REALLY pisses me off. My oldest son was pre-mature and as a result had several minor medical issues. He was in the hospital for 2-1/2 weeks and the morning I was preparing to pick him up and bring him home for the first time, the hospital called. They said that my sweet baby had a horrible night and was suffering from seizures, would I give consent for him to have a Spinal Tap? Of course, I said yes and got to the hospital in record time. By the time I got there, the ST was done. I don't remember when we found out he had spinal meningitis, but when they told me, the world dropped out from under me. We were crazy with worry. My son suffered a great deal of pain for a few days. They said he was having headaches, muscle cramps, feverish, among other things. Seeing him suffer like that was the hardest thing I ever had to endure. Right by his side, yet helpless.

How can these people NOT realize that this wasn't some childhood illness? How did that poor baby survive so long, being in so much pain? What a horrible short life he had.

(My son is 36 now, suffers none of the long term symptoms associated with SM. He has 5 children, none of them have had anything serious health wise. )

Let's not have a pissing match on justice systems ..
American's are no better .. OJ Simpson .. Casey Anthony ..

Don't be so quick to cut down others ..

From @strity1994 link.

But earlier this week, in an interview with one of the filmmakers of anti-vaccination movie Vaxxed, her husband David blamed the ambulance they finally called for not being properly equipped and insisted Ezekiel wasn’t all that sick: “We were treating our child with different homeopathic remedies, different herbal remedies like tens of thousands of people do. Nothing out of the ordinary and he wasn’t severely ill.”

The brass balls on that one, blaming the ambulance for not reviving what was essentially a dead baby at the time the ambulance got here.
[doublepost=1467938114,1467041199][/doublepost]http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07...-not-posting-to-facebook-after-son-death.html

A judge's highly unusual order has added an extra layer of controversy to a contentious child death case in Canada. Last month, David Stephan was sentenced to four months in prison and his wife, Collet Stephan, was sentenced to three months of house arrest for failing to provide the "necessaries of life" for their 19-month-old son.

Ezekiel died from bacterial meningitis in 2012 after the Alberta couple ignored advice to seek medical treatment and instead used naturopathic remedies. But Justice Rodney Jerke also ordered Collet Stephan to post unedited copies of the decision to social media accounts and websites associated with the family.

There is no sign of the decision on what the CBC describes as the "conspiracy-ridden" Prayers for Ezekiel Facebook page, and lawyers say the mother could still be sent to jail.

"She's playing with fire on this if she doesn't comply with the posting," defense lawyer Adriano Iovinelli says. The CBC believes Collet has to comply within 90 days of the June 24 ruling, though the National Post notes no deadline was given and it's unclear whether Collet could comment negatively on the ruling in her post of it.

The judge's sentencing decision includes a timeline of events that describes how the Stephans continued to treat Ezekiel with remedies like garlic and horseradish after a nurse—and even a receptionist at a naturopathic clinic—urged them to take the ailing boy to a doctor.

The judge also ordered the Stephans to take their three surviving children to a doctor once a year, reports the Huffington Post. The CBC reports that Jerke gave David Stephan—whose family founded a nutritional supplements company—a stiffer sentence because he decided the father has shown a complete lack of remorse.

This is very interesting!

"Nothing out of the ordinary and he wasn’t severely ill.”- Hmmm, you say the child that was so stiff he couldn't be put in his car seat wasn't severely ill eh? Fuck you, just FUCK YOU!!! :rage:

and I don't know about you, but I've never called an ambulance for someone whose symptoms were not out of the ordinary who wasn't severely ill.....:fish:

Somehow this dude is still a spokesman for naturopathic medicine:

On Jan. 10, Stephan was scheduled to speak about "how his family members suffered from mental illness and were made well," according to a display at Ave Maria Specialities, an "alternative and holistic health service" store in Prince George.

[...]

Ave Maria owner Dave Fuller said Stephan had spoken at the store in the past and was back by request.

"He has helped a number of our customers," he said. "We had a number of people request him to come back. We didn't think that this would be an issue."

[...]

"Who am I to say that just because something happened that was an accident the guy regrets — his son died — that he shouldn't have a job?" he asked.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nutritional-supplements-prince-george-1.3927824

I can't tell if the business owner the naturopathic store has his head lodged disturbingly far up his bunghole, or if it's a genius marketing scheme to get their business name out there.

Glad this couple has clearly learned their lesson.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ingitis-death-speaker-wellness-expo-1.4530355
After defending his decision to invite a man found guilty in 2016 of failing to provide the necessaries of life for his 19-month-old son, who later died, the owner of Health and Wellness Expos of Canada says David Stephan will no longer speak at the company's events in Western Canada.

According to Rick Thiessen, Stephan "is not affiliated with any of our shows in Western Canada."

After intense backlash, Thiessen said he isn't sure the expos in Calgary and Edmonton will go ahead, because sponsors and vendors are pulling out.

Stephan had been invited to speak at events in Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton.

Sobeys and Saskatoon-based fitness equipment retailer Flaman Fitness withdrew their sponsorships of the events after drawing criticism online over Stephan's participation.
[....]
A post on the Flaman Fitness Facebook page states: "Flaman Fitness engaged in the sponsorship of Health and Wellness Expos of Canada with the intent of supporting Canadians to reach their health and fitness goals. However, we will not support an event which has David Stephan as keynote speaker and are withdrawing our sponsorship of this event and all future associated events."

Sobeys Inc. told CBC News they had pulled their sponsorship as well.

Cynthia Thompson, a spokesperson for Sobeys Inc., said the company was not aware Stephan was a keynote speaker when the they decided to sponsor the event.

"Supporting the well-being of Canadians is essential to our purpose as a company and we entered this sponsorship with the best intention of advancing our focus on eating well, but we can't support the choice that Health and Wellness Expos of Canada has made on the selection of David Stephan as keynote speaker," she said.

Thompson also said Sobeys Inc. will be taking a closer look at events they sponsor in the future.
[....]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...on-million-dollars-1.4935791?cmp=FB_Post_News
The Alberta couple accused of causing their son's death by refusing to take the sick boy to a doctor want their trial delayed until the provincial government pays them $1 million and puts $3 million in trust for defence fees at their upcoming trial.

David and Collet Stephan filed an application in the Court of Queen's Bench earlier this week and appeared via closed-circuit television in a Calgary courtroom Thursday afternoon. The Stephans recently moved north and appeared via a video feed from the Grande Prairie courthouse.

"The accused have liquidated their assets, are in debt to previous counsel from the last trial and do not have the money to obtain the needed assistance required to provide them with a fair trial" reads an affidavit filed along with their application for a judicial stay.

The Stephans told the judge there had been a "drastic change" in their position and that there was "no way" they could go ahead with a trial.

"I have a question, Mr. and Mrs. Stephan," said Justice Beth Hughes. "Have you thought about what you might do if your application is not successful? Have you got another plan?"

"We'll just figure that out, touch and go, at that point," said David.

"No, we can't do it that way," Hughes replied. "We have a trial date set for June ... we have to find out if you're going to have counsel or not."

David said he wasn't sure if he and his wife would be hiring a lawyer should their application be unsuccessful.
[....]
The Stephans say they've spent more than $1 million on their legal battle to date.

They argue the original convictions were overturned through no fault of their own and say in the affidavit that the Alberta government should reimburse them for all costs incurred including for their appeals.

The additional $3,000,000 sought by the couple would go toward lawyers' fees, investigators and experts that the Stephans say need to be hired by the defence team. The couple has proposed that money would be administered by a court-appointed trustee.

The affidavit also accuses Alberta Justice and Alberta Health Services employees of withholding, falsifying and tampering with evidence at the first trial.

The couple has already been denied a government-funded lawyer because they don't qualify based on their income and/or assets.

In addition to their request for funds, the Stephans have also launched a complaint against prosecutors and witnesses who were called at the first trial. The couple alleged the RCMP turned over 719 pages of "privileged files" to the Crown.

The affidavit calls the Crown and its witnesses "suspects who committed crimes during the trial."

Although the RCMP has also been accused of "illicit actions" against the Stephans, the couple has asked that same police force to investigate their allegations against officers, prosecutors and witnesses.

Prosecutor Britta Kristensen was in court on Thursday for the Crown and lawyer Chris Ghesquiere appeared on behalf the attorney general.

The couple's re-trial is supposed to take place on June 3, 2019.

Incredible... their child dies from something that could have been easily avoided with vaccinations... and their response is that everyone else is at fault and vaccines are evil?

I can't fucking stand these two. I'm not terribly keen on their supporters.

An Alberta mother and father who treated their ill son with herbal remedies rather than get him medical attention have been acquitted in the boy's death.

The courtroom in Lethbridge, Alta., erupted into cheers and when a judge ruled Thursday that David and Collet Stephan were not guilty of failing to provide the necessaries of life to 19-month-old Ezekiel, who died in 2012.

The medical examiner who did the autopsy testified that Ezekiel died of bacterial meningitis, but a pathologist called by the defence said the child died from a lack of oxygen to the brain when he was in an ambulance.

Queen's Bench Justice Terry Clackson spoke for only four minutes before telling the parents to stand.

"The Stephans did not know Ezekiel had meningitis but were alert to the possibility and monitoring the symptoms," Clackson said before releasing a full written decision. "The meningitis Ezekiel had was viral and he did not die from meningitis but from a lack of oxygen."

Collet Stephan cried as she hugged her husband. Outside court, she gave him a kiss before he spoke to reporters.

"It was an emotional roller-coaster. We didn't know what to expect today," David Stephan said. "It is the right decision.

"And it is shocking because it has been seven years of our lives fighting this, so it has become part of our identity. It is just a beautiful thought that we can move on with our lives."
1568938973817.png
1568938988323.png

1568939180679.png

Last edited:
L I N K......

An Alberta father, who was charged with the death of his toddler son for failing to seek professional medical care, says the coronavirus pandemic is a hoax, meant to bring on "fancy new vaccines."
David Stephan posted about his views on COVID-19 on social media, claiming facts and figures about the illness are 'falsely inflated.'
"I can't help but state it as I see it… a HOAX!!! A hoax that is being used to usher in a one-world government, with a digital currency and some fancy new vaccines that you will have the chance to experience, whether you like it or not," he wrote
[...].

Back