• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Jo Cox MP has been shot and killed by an attacker in her constituency of Batley and Spen in Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36553815

Thomas Mair, 52, the man charged with murdering the MP Jo Cox, has appeared in court and been remanded in custody.

When asked to state his name, he said: "My name is death to traitors, freedom for Britain".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36567903

Jo Cox was a 41-year-old local MP for the Batley and Spen area of Yorkshire.

She was elected in May 2015 to represent the Labour Party.

Jo was married, with two children.

As part of her job as an MP she campaigned heavily for human rights, and spoke in the Houses of Parliament about lots of issues like equality, railways, and the Syrian refugee crisis.

Jo worked with charities to try to help tackle poverty and discrimination and make life better for children.

Jeremy Corbyn, who is leader of the Labour Party, said that Jo was a "much loved colleague, a real talent and a dedicated campaigner for social justice and peace".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/36558358

Thomas Mair, 52, was remanded in custody by Mr Justice Sweeney after appearing by videolink.

He is also charged with grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of an offensive weapon.

The Batley and Spen MP, 41, was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire, on Thursday.

She was attacked shortly before she was due to hold a constituency surgery.

When asked by the judge to confirm he was Thomas Mair, he replied: "Yes, I am."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36574451

Calls are growing for a man who tried to save MP Jo Cox to be officially honoured for his bravery.

Bernard Kenny, 77, was stabbed in the stomach as he went to the aid of Mrs Cox when she was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire, on Thursday.

Mr Kenny, who was discharged from hospital earlier, called her death "a very sad loss for the community".

An online fund in memory of the murdered Labour MP passed the £1m mark on Monday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36574757

Yesterday, Jo Cox's family watched as the House of Commons, filled with her political friends and colleagues honoured her.

Today, with quiet dignity, her husband Brendan explained why he believes politics was behind her death.

He said: "She was a politician and she had very strong political views and I believe was she killed because of those views.

"I think she died because of them and she would want to stand up for those in death as much as she did in life."

As the referendum debate rages, he told me why she feared for our political culture, not just here in the UK but around the world, detailing her belief that the tone of the debate has echoes of the 1930s, with the public feeling insecure, and politicians willing to exploit that sense.

"He told me she was "very worried and from left and right".

He added: "I think she was very worried that the language was coarsening, that people were being driven to take more extreme positions, that people didn't work with each other as individuals and on issues, it was all much too tribal and unthinking."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36592122

I feel so sorry for this woman and her friends and family. A brutal death that was senseless.

I also think its shocking that her death was used by certain people to keep pushing the agenda over the Brexit referendum. She should have been remembered for everything she achieved and attempted in her life. Not used as a politicial signpost for the Remain side.

I also think its shocking that her death was used by certain people to keep pushing the agenda over the Brexit referendum. She should have been remembered for everything she achieved and attempted in her life. Not used as a politicial signpost for the Remain side.

It was mainly the Leave side making claims that she was being abused in favour of the Remain campaign, and considering she was very much for Remain, I doubt she would have been terribly offended herself had it actually been the case.

And now they have voted to Leave and we shall be spending years picking up the pieces once the dust settles. I am feeling nauseous.

It was mainly the Leave side making claims that she was being abused in favour of the Remain campaign, and considering she was very much for Remain, I doubt she would have been terribly offended herself had it actually been the case.

And now they have voted to Leave and we shall be spending years picking up the pieces once the dust settles. I am feeling nauseous.

You were a Remain supporter then? I extend my condolences to you, Abroad. With such a close vote result, regardless of which side won, there was always going to be a big chunk of people who don't agree for their own reasons and who will be forced to suffer consequences that they didn't choose.

Probably predictably, given my usual type of commentary on here :) I was a Leave supporter - from afar lol.

The good news, in the long run, once the dust settles, I don't think Leave will be either as disastrous as the Remain camp worry it will be, and I don't think it'll bring about everything that the Leave camp desired. Britain won't fall. It'll change sure, and instability is a near guarantee in the short term. But that's the beauty at least, of the unknown. Who knows what silver linings the Remain supporters will find, in the overall state of things, moving forward.

All in all, I do sincerely hope that a suitable compromise is struck, within the UK that keeps both sides feeling secure and confident about the future. The sheer division the UK is experiencing over Brexit, shows that the status quo, rightly or wrongly, could not continue to be maintained as it was, prior to the vote outcome.

The good news, in the long run, once the dust settles, I don't think Leave will be either as disastrous as the Remain camp worry it will be, and I don't think it'll bring about everything that the Leave camp desired.

I will go as far as to say it will not bring about any of the stated purposes of the Leave camp.

Most of them cannot happen in a globalised economy and the rest won't happen, because the people in power are not changing, and they have no interest in saving the NHS or ensuring that people have jobs.

Farage started retracting his "Let's spend the 350 million we send the EU every week on the NHS instead!" campaign slogan within an hour and a half of the victory being declared.

And the referendum has opened the door for xenophobes and nationalists to express their insular, selfish opinions openly. We have already heard reports of Polish work-crews being taunted by groups of young lads in Manchester, told that they need to go home now, because "we have voted out!". With no skills to offer, those louts are not going to be taking over those jobs, even if the Poles do end up leaving the UK eventually.

This country has suffered from a lack of investment in education and healthcare for years, and instead of doing something constructive about those problems, the lower rungs of politicians pointed at the immigrants and told the unemployably under-educated that the reason they had no jobs was that people from abroad were taking "their" jobs.

Oh, and Cornwall have already appealed for guarantees that they will not be worse off after Brexit. They are right to be worried. One of the things that the EU has been very good at is making investments in backwards geographical areas of every country in the EU, the areas on the fringes that might otherwise not get broadband connections or subsidies to encourage employers to build factories there. Without the EU there are no guarantees that these subsidies will continue. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you......

But I am actually far more worried about Europe as a whole than I am about England. If things start to unravel and the EU is crippled over this, we will see war in some form or other on the continent in the next 60 years.

I will go as far as to say it will not bring about any of the stated purposes of the Leave camp.

Most of them cannot happen in a globalised economy and the rest won't happen, because the people in power are not changing, and they have no interest in saving the NHS or ensuring that people have jobs.

Farage started retracting his "Let's spend the 350 million we send the EU every week on the NHS instead!" campaign slogan within an hour and a half of the victory being declared.

And the referendum has opened the door for xenophobes and nationalists to express their insular, selfish opinions openly. We have already heard reports of Polish work-crews being taunted by groups of young lads in Manchester, told that they need to go home now, because "we have voted out!". With no skills to offer, those louts are not going to be taking over those jobs, even if the Poles do end up leaving the UK eventually.

This country has suffered from a lack of investment in education and healthcare for years, and instead of doing something constructive about those problems, the lower rungs of politicians pointed at the immigrants and told the unemployably under-educated that the reason they had no jobs was that people from abroad were taking "their" jobs.

Oh, and Cornwall have already appealed for guarantees that they will not be worse off after Brexit. They are right to be worried. One of the things that the EU has been very good at is making investments in backwards geographical areas of every country in the EU, the areas on the fringes that might otherwise not get broadband connections or subsidies to encourage employers to build factories there. Without the EU there are no guarantees that these subsidies will continue. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you......

But I am actually far more worried about Europe as a whole than I am about England. If things start to unravel and the EU is crippled over this, we will see war in some form or other on the continent in the next 60 years.

I do agree, that if Europe unravels, war will return to the European continent again. There is a fairly thin veneer of civility spackled over everything that the concept of a united Europe helps to hold and maintain.

I'm kind of wondering though, if the war will be more civil rather than nation against nation - at least at first anyway. There's a lot of complex issues that the EU and the European continent overall are currently facing, all with a variety of consequences, some very serious indeed.

I'm kind of wondering though, if the war will be more civil rather than nation against nation - at least at first anyway. There's a lot of complex issues that the EU and the European continent overall are currently facing, all with a variety of consequences, some very serious indeed.

Not at all unlikely, - in which case it may start here in what used to be the United Kingdom. Seems like a misnomer now.

I used to accidentally type Untied Kingdom on occasion and always found it hilarious. Not so funny any longer......

Not at all unlikely, - in which case it may start here in what used to be the United Kingdom. Seems like a misnomer now.

I used to accidentally type Untied Kingdom on occasion and always found it hilarious. Not so funny any longer......

Give time for the shock to settle - across the UK. And time for everyone to think. As I mentioned before, the vote was close - it shows how divided the UK is. Scotland is making waves about Independence again - but given that if they do in fact, eventually win it - they still have a good decade to pass before full EU membership is granted - and on the big IF, they are able to secure it. Ireland economically speaking, needs the UK more than it needs to be out of it - it was the UK who bailed them out. Not the EU. As for Wales. I don't know much about their geopolitical options and whether or not they'd truly be able to stand on their own, if they chose that. I think its safe to say, the UK is still going to be around for quite some time to come.

It has started......

"Racist" graffiti was found scrawled on a Polish cultural centre building in Hammersmith, west London, the Met Police said.

It was informed about the "racially motivated" damage on the King Street building on Sunday morning.

A spokeswoman for Polish Social and Cultural Association said graffiti was found on the front entrance at about 06:00 BST and had been washed off.

"There will be an investigation - we have reported it to police," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36634621

Racist flyers urging Poles to go back to their home country were distributed outside a school just hours after it became clear that the UK had voted to leave the EU.

Laminated cards carried offensive slogans in English and Polish, stating: “Leave the EU, No more Polish vermin” and “Go home Polish scum.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n..._-20160626-_-News-_-502819870&linkId=25926769

Far-right demonstrators took to the streets today demanding repatriation of immigrants in the wake of the Brexit vote.

A tense stand-off took place in Newcastle city centre as groups defending refugees gathered to oppose the demo.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/far-right-demonstrators-take-streets-8281867

Baroness Warsi, the former chairwoman of the Conservative party, has warned that since the referendum result was announced immigrants are being stopped in the street and told to leave the country.

“I’ve spent most of the weekend talking to organisations, individuals and activists who work in the area of race hate crime, who monitor hate crime, and they have shown some really disturbing early results from people being stopped in the street and saying look, we voted Leave, it’s time for you to leave,” Warsi told Sky News.

“And they are saying this to individuals and families who have been here for three, four, five generations. The atmosphere on the street is not good.”

Warsi originally backed the Leave campaign, but switched to support Remain, calling the Leave campaign “divisive and xenophobic”.

Welsh businesswoman and remain campaigner Shazia Awan was told by Warren Faulkner to pack her bags and go home after she expressed disappointment in the leave result. Awan, who was born in the UK, tweeted a reply that in her view the “campaign was vile and racist” and had “ruined [the] country forever”.

Earlier that day, Faulkner had celebrated the referendum result as a “major victory for the right wing, adding: “Oi Muslims pack your bags”.

Many of the reports of incidents seem to show the mistaken belief that EU citizens living in the UK will be forced to leave the country as a result of the referendum result, with instances reported of a Polish woman being told to get off a bus and “get packing”, of a Polish man being told at an airport that he “shouldn’t still be here, that we had voted to be rid of people like him”, of a Polish coffee shop worker being jeered at and told “you’re going home now” and of Polish children at a primary school crying because they were scared of getting deported from Britain.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

It happened at Kashmir Meat & Poultry on Wednesbury Road, Pleck, when the suspect walked in and threw the weapon.

The bottle left the man bruised, while the shop was left badly fire damaged. Today, workers were at the scene restoring the electricity supply to the building.

Police say they are keeping an open mind over the motive of the attack, which happened at around 5.25pm yesterday.

Brigg Ford, spokesman for West Midlands Police, said: "We cannot say definitively that it was a racist attack.

"The motive is unclear at this stage."

Detectives were examining CCTV from the area today in the hunt for the suspect, who was white, 6ft tall and wearing a blue jacket.

Police will also be in the community to carry out patrols to reassure people.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/.../firebomb-01-tt-28-jpg-2/#ukRYZXqcPMWqDXtu.01
[doublepost=1469214321,1466952916][/doublepost]
More than 6,000 hate crimes have been reported to police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the wake of the EU referendum, figures show.

There was a slight fall in reports in the first half of July compared with an initial spike in the days before and after the 23 June vote, the National Police Chief's Council said.

But the overall level was up 20% on the same period in July 2015.

Scotland Yard deputy commissioner Craig Mackey said the Brexit vote appeared to have "unleashed something in people".

The main type of offence reported over the month was "violence against the person", which includes harassment and common assault, as well as verbal abuse, spitting and "barging".

Public order offences and criminal damage were the second and third most common incidents, police said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36869000
[doublepost=1475594408][/doublepost]
A man accused of killing the Labour MP Jo Cox refused to enter pleas as he appeared in court.

Thomas Mair, 53, from Birstall, remained silent when asked to plead at the Old Bailey on four charges relating to Mrs Cox's death.

Mrs Cox, 41, who was a married mother-of-two, was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire, in June.

In the light of Mr Mair's silence, the judge ordered that not guilty pleas should be entered on his behalf.

The defendant is accused of murder, grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of an offensive weapon - a dagger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37550060

I believe this was the sort of situation they used "pressing" for in the old days.......
[doublepost=1484683074][/doublepost]
A teenager accused of preparing acts of terrorism was a member of a "secretive neo-Nazi" group who branded MP Jo Cox's killer a "hero", a court has heard.

The 17-year-old from Bradford, who cannot be named because of his age, denies the charge and another count of making a pipe bomb.

Prosecutors said on the day Mrs Cox died he posted a picture of her killer online saying "Thomas Mair is a HERO".

Jurors heard he was arrested after he put a photo of a homemade bomb online.

Messages were discovered on the boy's phone from members of a National Action chat group that included phrases such as "should we just blow up Leeds?", the court heard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38653144
[doublepost=1485286984][/doublepost]The little twerp tried to recant, but he just wades in deeper.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38735406
[doublepost=1487017019][/doublepost]
A neo-Nazi teenager who made a home-made pipe bomb has been sentenced to a three-year youth rehabilitation order.

The 17-year-old from Bradford, who cannot be named, was also ordered to receive intensive counselling from a deradicalisation expert.

The teenager had been convicted of making the pipe bomb at Leeds Crown Court in January.

During his trial it emerged he was a member of the "secretive neo-Nazi" group National Action.

The boy, who praised the killer of MP Jo Cox, was arrested after he put a photo of the pipe bomb online.

Last month he was found guilty of making explosives but acquitted of the preparation of terrorist acts.

Counter-terrorism officers arrested the boy in his bedroom in July 2016 after a member of the public alerted them to a series of Snapchat posts.

These posts included apparent threats to ethnic minorities and an image of the pipe bomb.

Detectives found the improvised explosive device inside a desk drawer and an army bomb disposal expert was called out to make it safe.

During his trial the boy admitted he had wanted people to think he was planning an attack, but said he never had any real intention of carrying one out.

He told the court he still held Nazi views and he had been a member of National Action. It was proscribed under anti-terrorism laws in December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38962931

Back