• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-toddler-makanzee-oldhamshot-in-fight-over-tossed-drink-dies/

A 2-year-old girl who was shot in the head in Detroit during a dispute over a tossed drink has died.

St. John Hospital spokesman Brian Taylor said Makanzee Oldham died Sunday. She was shot Wednesday while in a car with her father after a fight erupted and someone poured juice on a woman getting ready for prom.

Thirty-year-old Cleveland Smelley, 21-year-old Deonta Bennett and 32-year-old Antoine Smelley were arraigned Saturday on eight counts each of assault with intent to murder and other crimes.

Prosecutors said Antoine Smelley poured the juice over the head of the woman before her prom, then pulled out a handgun and threatened her, according to the Detroit News. A short time later, prosecutors say a fight broke out at Antoine Smelley's home, and his brother Cleveland Smelley allegedly shot at seven people in a car, including the child.

Relatives of the Smelley brothers told the paper the woman whose prom dress had juice poured on it had stolen $1,000 from Antoine Smelley, and that her relatives came to his home and "ambushed" and assaulted him after the drink-tossing incident.

Prosecutors allege Bennett gave the gun to Cleveland Smelly, the suspected shooter.

Makanzee Oldham would have turned 3 June 13.

Wayne County prosecutor spokeswoman Maria Miller said Sunday the charges against the three will be amended to murder charges because of the child's death.

She previously said her office hadn't been contacted by lawyers representing the defendants.

Bond was denied for the suspects. Their next court date is June 9

The whole thing is screwy, but I'm trying to understand who thought it was a good idea to take a woman and infant along to exact revenge on the guy.

I fault them more than the shooter in this case.

What a beautiful girl.

The only bright side is at least they got 3 fucking idiots in one swoop off of our streets. It's sad a baby had to die for that to happen.

Relatives of the Smelley brothers told the paper the woman whose prom dress had juice poured on it had stolen $1,000 from Antoine Smelley, and that her relatives came to his home and "ambushed" and assaulted him after the drink-tossing incident.

But they were inside a car when shot. So what does this ambush/assault have to do with anythign?

Very confusing story.

And why the fuck were these people all there anyways? WHy was this girl hanging out with adult men on her prom night? The story makes no sense.

But they were inside a car when shot. So what does this ambush/assault have to do with anythign?

Very confusing story.

And why the fuck were these people all there anyways? WHy was this girl hanging out with adult men on her prom night? The story makes no sense.

Proms in the black community (at least they are here) are a huge deal. Often the entire family and friends come out to see them leave and to take photos.

Here in the south Proms are big, too. Next biggest day in most of these girls' lives would be their weddings, if their parents have the cash to shell it out.

So I get going around showing off the dress. the rest of it, not so much.

Last edited:
Proms in the black community (at least they are here) are a huge deal. Often the entire family and friends come out to see them leave and to take photos.

That's dumb as shit. Prob for the best if people who engage in dumbassery like that get removed.

Damn, that's fucked up. She was in the car with her Father? He should be charged in some way for her death as well. When you wanna go and do some dirty shit you don't bring your kid with you.

Very confusing story.

The way I read it they went over there cos they were pissed off at the guy for pouring juice on the girl in the dress n threatening her with a gun. So they jumped him. What do you do after you jump someone? Sit in the car for a few minutes n talk shit before pulling away. There's no rush because it'll be a long while before a cop shows up, if anyone had called. So while everyone was back in the car, brother came out shooting. They should've left little girl at home where she would've been safe.

March 30, 2017

It began with spilled juice and ended with a dead child.

A neighborhood dispute erupted in May 2016 after a man poured juice on a young woman's prom dress in Detroit, prosecutors say. It ended with gunfire. Two-year-old Makanzee Oldham, an innocent bystander, was shot in the head as she sat in her father's car on Fairmont Street in Detroit.

The seven people targeted with the gunfire survived.

Two brothers, Cleveland Smelley, 31, the shooter; and Antoine Smelley, 33, who dumped the juice; and a third accomplice, Deonta Bennett, 22, all of Detroit, were initially charged with first-degree premeditated murder but accepted deals and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Cleveland Smelley, who was previously convicted of attempted murder in 2006 and released from parole in 2015, will serve the lengthiest sentence among the defendants, a minimum of 35 years in prison. His sentence included 30 to 60 years for second-degree murder and five years for second offense felony firearm.

Brother Antoine Smelley received eight to 20 years for second-degree murder and two years for felony firearm.

The brothers were each sentenced Thursday, March 30.

Bennett, who has "Cash rules everything around me" tattooed on his right arm, was sentenced March 20 to a minimum of 10 years in prison and up to 32 years.

Cleveland Smelley, wearing braids and a beard, addressed the court briefly. He apologized and said, "I never meant to shoot the girl. I never knew the little girl was in the car."

The judge said he's seen to many cases like this one during his time on the bench.

"Once again we're faced with an extremely tragic situation that grew out of what apparently started as an very trivial incident -- someone had a juice poured on them -- it escalated into physical violence and ultimately gun violence," Boykin said. "It only serves to once again show what happens when people take weapons into their hands.

"Once the projectile leaves the gun, it can strike anybody at any time ... The old adage, bullets have no eyes. They go where the gun is pointed."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2017/03/shooter_sentenced_for_killing.html

I have to agree with you @Sejanus why would you spell this little girl's name like this - Makanzee.

The pure ignorance of all the adults and the thief involved is mind boggling.

Latest posts

Back