• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
@sarahdownunder
"Bayley is appealing. Don't be surprised if he gets a sentence reduction - our judiciary is hopelessly out of touch with community expectations and time has passed to calm down public opinion. I bet my purse he'll get parole again before he dies."

Wouldn't a letter writing to the judge help keep him behind bars. If he is let out at all anytime, no matter how old, no woman is safe.

@sarahdownunder
"Bayley is appealing. Don't be surprised if he gets a sentence reduction - our judiciary is hopelessly out of touch with community expectations and time has passed to calm down public opinion. I bet my purse he'll get parole again before he dies."

Wouldn't a letter writing to the judge help keep him behind bars. If he is let out at all anytime, no matter how old, no woman is safe.

No I don't think it would be successful. Its pure public outrage that seems to work. It has to be big enough for the media to decide to get involved and play the 'concerned party' which in turn, gets the Politicians involved, looking for votes, using that outrage as a public platform. Then, if all 3 sides are screaming, the states Attorney General will step in and dictate he won't be released, due to 'community expectations'.

But its not common. I can clearly remember each crime/convict where this has occurred simply because it's so unusual. Brett Cowan in Queensland is one. The pedophile who murdered little Daniel Morcombe. The whole fucking country looked for that little boy. For years.

That, sadly, is the proven unofficial process in this country that you see when someone particularly evil looks to be getting another soft touch from our idiot judiciary. Crazy, huh.

What we call a King Hit, is when you come up behind someone and punch them dead on - in the back of the head/upper neck, from behind. Some come from the side and punch the victim straight in the temple/side of the head too. Its an unexpected, vicious act of violence. The victims are almost always caught entirely by surprise and often die from it.
We've started renaming it a 'cowards punch' here as its pretty fucking cowardly and quite a few young men have died from being randomly king hit in the street by a drunken fuckwit.

I was under the impression they didn't have to punch them from behind, - just that it has to be a single deadly punch for it to a "king-hit"?

I was under the impression they didn't have to punch them from behind, - just that it has to be a single deadly punch for it to a "king-hit"?
Yep, they can from the side. I'm sure some just come bolting straight up and belt them right in the face - but that generally gives most a moment or two which is often enough to basically 'brace' for the hit. The young men who've gone down like a bag of sand when King Hit mainly are the unlucky guys who never saw it coming. Either way, regardless of which direction you come in punching from, the whole idea od a King Hit or a Coward's Punch is to do it suddenly and catch the victim completely unawares, which is why so many die from it. Bloody cowardly.

Why? What's the point? What's the goal?

Well, you didn't *beat* the victim to death. "I only hit him once!" "How was I to know he would die from that?" And as a defence it worked for many for a while, - until it became too obvious that it was a deliberate strategy for some thugs.

@Keepalowprofile @BuffettGirl @Satanica
Notorious murderer and rapist Adrian Bayley has had his non-parole sentence cut by three years, after winning an appeal against a rape conviction. His 43-year minimum jail term has been reduced to 40 years.

In re-sentencing Bayley, the Court of Appeal judges acknowledged his offending had been utterly abhorrent and "left little optimism concerning his prospects for rehabilitation".

"Over many years, the applicant has shown a depraved predilection to attack, degrade and humiliate women," they said.
"As his criminal history amply demonstrates, his base inclinations have not, in the past, been curbed by substantial periods of imprisonment."

Bayley, 44, was serving a life sentence for the rape and murder of Melbourne woman Jill Meagher in 2012 when he was convicted of three previous rapes.

The Victorian Court of Appeal upheld his appeal against one of those convictions, the rape of a sex worker in St Kilda in 2000.

The court heard the sex worker made a statement to police after she identified Bayley as her attacker when she was looking at a missing persons page on Facebook for Ms Meagher in 2012.

The Court of Appeal ruled the victim's identification evidence should not have been allowed at the jury trial as she had recognised Bayley from a single photograph taken 12 years after she was raped.

The court ruled it was also likely she already knew Bayley had been charged with the rape and murder of Ms Meagher.

The appeal judges found even less weight should have been given to the victim then identifying Bayley on a photo board made up by police after they informed her he had been charged with her rape.

Back