• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Also I forgot to mention

Fir a 6 year old to climb and get past all those obstacles, the mom was more than just tending to another child. She flat out wasn't watching him.

@Keepalowprofile None of the news stories I've read stated the childs age has 6. Please provide stating his age has such. Thank you.
From an eye witness stating it took seconds not minutes or 20 minutes.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/us/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-shot/

"Unfortunately, it was a bad situation where a 4-year-old didn't have the attention of his mother for seconds," she said. "I don't think it was as easy as standing up and falling in. He actually had to climb under something, through some bushes and then into the m

From an eye witness stating it took seconds not minutes or 20 minutes.
I never said anything about the mother not watching him for 20 minutes.
I said a tranq can take 20 minutes to work and to avoid risk of the child they shot the gorilla.
In my opinion, any amount of time your child is out of your sight in a public place is far too long. This gorilla paid with his life because this mother wasn't watching her child. and still, I would have been okay with them using the tranq and risking this child.

@Keepalowprofile None of the news stories I've read stated the childs age has 6. Please provide stating his age has such. Thank you.
Sorry, I can't find the original news story. I read many stations this morning all over the internet. I do see conflicting ages of 3 and 4

A tranq dart takes too long to work.

They say.

I also question whether either method was all that necessary. Gorillas aren't chimpanzees, these aren't evil, maniacal, deadly creatures. I'm not ruling out any possibility that the zoo took advantage of the situation to make some money.

I think @JackBurton's assessment that the parents are trash is bull. Especially when he admonishes other members for similar assumptions.

When it comes to the act of monitoring and controlling your child, these parents did a trash job. That can not be denied. Try again troll, but leave out nonsensical, baseless wackjobbery about me and other users next time so you don't come across quite so dumb. Thanks.

Before I had step-grandkids, I would have been very judgmental of the mom. Now I know that it only takes a few seconds for a kid to slip out of sight. (That's why my hunny and I babysit the boys together--one kid per adult.)

That being said, as much as I used to laugh at those child leashes in the 90s, I would never take the grandbabies out to a public place without physically securing them to my body. Those little legs and scheming minds just run too fast.

I'm glad the child is okay. But I do blame the mother. When my son was 4 and my daughter was two there was no way I'd take them to the zoo alone because my 4 year old could not be trusted to stay by my side. Shopping took two parents, as did most activities in those days. Even with both of us we had to keep a sharp eye out because we had a very active son. Hopefully she does not see this as an opportunity to make money by suing the zoo, since it was clearly her fault.

They say.

I also question whether either method was all that necessary. Gorillas aren't chimpanzees, these aren't evil, maniacal, deadly creatures. I'm not ruling out any possibility that the zoo took advantage of the situation to make some money.

When it comes to the act of monitoring and controlling your child, these parents did a trash job. That can not be denied. Try again troll, but leave out nonsensical, baseless wackjobbery about me and other users next time so you don't come across quite so dumb. Thanks.
Jack you're so obtuse. Please try again.

Everyone's gonna hate me for saying this but a Gorilla is endangered human children are not. That Gorilla had more value to the world than that child did. So fuck that kid and fuck his family.

https://www.change.org/p/dept-of-ch...source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

This is a petition that states the mom is planning on sueing the zoo and people are angry over this and feel the mom is the irresponsible one and should be investigated by CPS....
[doublepost=1464640714,1464639419][/doublepost]I attempted to add this comment to my post but because I'm no longer bold it won't let me.:(.in the comment section of the petition, someone commented that the mom has had her kids taken away 2 times in the past

someone commented that the mom has had her kids taken away 2 times in the past

In that case, I definitely feel she's sucking the last bit out of her 15 minutes. I really don't see how they can blame the zoo when the little brat crawled into the enclosure of his own free will while she wasn't paying attention.

This is definitely not the zoos fault! It's the parents fault 100%. Even if the mom just wasn't watching him for a second. Bitch, you took your kid to the mother fucking zoo!!!! You know that place where wild exotic big ass animals are???? It's not like the mom took the kids to the park to swing on the swings or some shit. She took them on a damn safari with cages! Keep your asshole kids on the other side of the fucking cages! That is all...lol. if you can't keep up with your kids, don't take them to the fucking jungle and let em roam!
That gorilla didn't come to your backyard and get your kid! You took your kid to his backyard...then let him go! Idiot!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-toddler-cincinnati-gorilla-incident-170229799.html

The mother of a 4-year-old boy who fell into a gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo on Saturday, causing zoo officials to shoot the animal, has responded to critics who said she should have watched her son more closely.

“As a society we are quick to judge how a parent could take their eyes off of their child and if anyone knows me I keep a tight watch on my kids,” a woman named Michelle Gregg wrote in a Facebook post reported by People. In the post, which the magazine said has since been deleted, Gregg identified herself as the mother of the toddler.

“Accidents happen but I am thankful that the right people were in the right place today. Thank you to everyone that helped me and my son today and most importantly God for being the awsome (sic) God that He is,” Gregg wrote.

According to this, her name is Michelle Gregg, also in the comments someone says that the little boy had asked several times to go into the water and she kept telling him no, but was not watching him, so Harambe died. The comments are predominately NOT in her favor.
[doublepost=1464651075,1464650774][/doublepost]
  • GetAClue 5 hours ago
    What a load of #$%$. Accidents do not happen as a result of neglect! The child said he wanted to go into the water twice, and she said no *twice* and still managed to lose sight of him long enough for this to happen?

How about if someone had snatched the kid rather than him going into the gorilla pen? Would that be an accident too?

I'm a parent of two. Been there, done that. In such a setting it is the parents job to watch like a hawk, She failed at parenting. There is NO excuse besides from tragic event like her having a heart attack or some other valid reason for taking her eyes off the lad for that long.

• Here's the comment so we don't lose it.

[QUOTE
i Zoo was released from Cincinnati Children's Hospital Saturday night, zoo officials said.

The boy crawled through a railing and fell into a moat in the gorilla habitat Saturday afternoon.

The family of the boy released the following statement Sunday afternoon:

“We are so thankful to the Lord that our child is safe. He is home and doing just fine. We extend our heartfelt thanks for the quick action by the Cincinnati Zoo staff. We know that this was a very difficult decision for them, and that they are grieving the loss of their gorilla. We hop
][/QUOTE]
http://m.wlwt.com/news/family-of-bo...-child-safe-grieving-loss-of-gorilla/39780030

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-vigil-held-cincinnati-zoo-slain-gorilla-39484571

I found an actual link for the child asking to get into the water claim.

4:10 p.m.

The Cincinnati Zoo's director stands by the decision to kill a gorilla after a boy entered its enclosure.

Thane Maynard told reporters on Monday that the 4-year-old boy's life was in danger. He says the 420-pound gorilla was agitated and disoriented and acting erratically.

Maynard says the western lowland gorilla was extreme strong and could crush a coconut in its hand.

A witness reports hearing the boy tell his mother he wanted to get in the water Saturday afternoon. She said no, but the boy entered a moat in the gorilla exhibit anyway.

Maynard says the zoo is reviewing security measures to ensure both visitors and animals are safe.

The zoo hopes to reopen its Gorilla World within several days.

It's in the middle of the article.

Eye witness account. I am not sure about the validity of the website. Too bad people aren't this up inarms when a child is beaten to dearh by real POS parents.
I was taking a pic of the female gorilla, when my eldest son yells, “what is he doing? ” I looked down, and to my surprise, there was a small child that had apparently, literally “flopped” over the railing, where there was then about 3 feet of ground that the child quickly crawled through! ! I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, “Whose kid is this? ” None of us actually thought he’d go over the nearly 15 foot drop, but he was crawling so fast through the bushes before myself or husband could grab him, he went over! The crowed got a little frantic and the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn’t see him crawling through the bushes! She said “He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!” As she could find him nowhere, she lookes to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, “Sir, is he wearing green shorts? ” My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way. Neither my husband or the mother would have made that jump without breaking something! I wasn’t leaving with my boys, because I didn’t trust my husband not to jump in and the gorilla did just seem to be protective of the child. It wasn’t until the gorilla became agitated because of the nosey, dramatic, helpless crowd; that the gorilla violently ran with the child! And it was very violent; although I think the gorilla was still trying to protect, we’re taking a 400 lb gorilla throwing a 40 lb toddler around! It was horrific! The zoo responded very quickly, clearing the area and attempting to save both the child and the gorilla! The right choice was made. Thank God the child survived with non-life threatening, but serious injuries! This was an open exhibit! Which means the only thing separating you from the gorillas, is a 15 ish foot drop and a moat and some bushes! ! This mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation! Especially since that had never happened before! ! Thankful for the zoo and their attempts and my thoughts and prayers goes out to this boy, his mother and his family.

Another witness, Brittany Nicely, told the Cincinnati Enquirer, “Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the little boy in the bushes past the little fence area. I tried to grab for him. I started yelling at him to come back. Everybody started screaming and going crazy. It happened so fast.”

Lykins defended Gregg, writing on Facebook, “This was an accident! ! A terrible accident, but just that!

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-grief-over-gorillas-death-turns-to-outrage/

Within hours, that grief had turned to fury as critics questioned the zoo’s decision to kill the endangered 17-year-old gorilla, named Harambe, and called for the boy’s parents to be punished for not adequately supervising their child.

A Facebook page called “Justice for Harambe” received more than 41,000 “likes” within hours of its creation. The page’s description says it was created to “raise awareness of Harambe’s murder” and includes YouTube tributes and memes celebrating the western lowland gorilla and admonishing zoo officials.

“Shooting an endangered animal is worse than murder,” a commenter from Denmark named Per Serensen wrote on the page. “Soooo angry.”

Lt. Steve Saunders, a spokesman for the Cincinnati Police Department, told the Cincinnati Enquirer that they have no plans to charge the child’s parents.

That news didn’t stop tens of thousands from signing multipleonline petitions calling for Cincinnati Child Protective Services to investigate the boy’s parents — who have not been identified — for negligence.

“I’m signing because a beautiful critically endangered animal was killed as a direct result of her failure to supervise her child,” one signee wrote. “I don’t blame the zoo staff for the decision they made, I’m sure they’re heartbroken.”

“If she’d watched her child he wouldn’t have been in the gorilla enclosure in the first place,” the commenter added.

It comes down to safety. I think this mother is a money grubbing whore HOWEVER if a 3 year old can get into an enclosure then the zoo is at fault. We are not talking about a parent who drops a kid ober a ledge. We are talking about a child who can't even wipe his butt properly without an adult who can make his way into a dangerous interaction with a 400 pound gorilla.

I hope she looses her kid. She sounds like a terrible parent from all accounts and if she gets money it should go into a fund for the kid that can't be touched by her.

The gorilla meme is fucking hilarious. I laughed for a good 2 min after seeing it, and got short with my wife when she didn't laugh quite as hard at it upon showing her.

“As a society we are quick to judge how a
parent could take their eyes off of their child and if anyone knows me I keep a tight watch on my kids,”

Anyone who has been to that zoo knows it takes more then a mere momentary lapse in watching ones kids for one to climb in.

She clearly doesn't watch them tightly, certainly not tightly enough, certainly not when it mattered that day at the zoo. Dumb bimbo.

and most importantly God for being the awsome (sic) God that He is,”

If he's so great, why did one of his most beautiful and wondrous, sweetest creatures get shot to death?

What a stupid fucking moron bringing religion into it, and in such a wacky manner as this? Fucking bimbo.

HOWEVER if a 3 year old can get into an enclosure then the zoo is at fault.

Bullfucking shit. Attitudes like this make me sick. Should the zoo provide a dome over the entire park to prevent children from getting sunburns on hot days too? Should they provide a trained professional to hold parents hands as they tour the exhibits so as to fully negate ANY and all potential risks? What absolute fucking nonsense.

What's sad is too many idiots have idiot mentalities like this. What's sad is this previously fantastic gorilla exhibit is going to get trashed. They'll prob put up some immense, obstructive fence or somethign similar. It will become difficult to see the animals, the free and beautiful layout of the exhibit will be drastically altered, all to appease over-protective, "it's everyone elses responsibility to protect me/my kids", donkey brained folks like yourself. You make me fucking sick.

Watch your fucking kids!! How hard is it to watch your fucking kids!! They're your kids!! Watch them!! Because of your stupidity, your son was hurt, and a beautiful animal shot. It's not bad enough he lives in a freaking cage, but he was killed because you can't WATCH YOUR FUCKING KIDS

Everyone's gonna hate me for saying this but a Gorilla is endangered human children are not. That Gorilla had more value to the world than that child did. So fuck that kid and fuck his family.

I agree. If the kid is dumb enough to climb into an animal enclosure, and the parents are dumb enough to let him, then they all deserve a Darwin award - so none of them breed any further.

I wish the gorilla had killed the child, then maybe shitty parents like this would have finally learned something. Unfortunately this sort of thing keeps happening, and the animals pay for it.

They wouldn't have learned anything, just sued the Zoo for more, because it's not their fault, it's never their fault.:arghh:

It's a no win situation for the zoo. If they tranq the animal, they get angry parents that claim the zoo value animals more than people because the zoo doesn't act fast enough to save the kid or worse, it agitates the gorilla more and actually hurts or kills the kid. When they shoot the animal...we get this situation. So...I blame the mom, because there are 3 parties involved in this whole incident...the mom, the gorilla and the kid.

So now the mom wants to sue.
She's going to turn her piss poor parenting into a paycheck.

Isn't that what shitty people do?

Why she would sue is beyond me. Her son went into the Gorillas house, he didn't go into hers. They killed the gorilla, son didn't get harmed at all, he was protected.

Someone should have popped her and let the Gorilla raise the boy.

So now the mom wants to sue.
She's going to turn her piss poor parenting into a paycheck.

There is no news source verifying this particular rumor. It is just a rumor, and seems based on speculation rather than anything the parents have said.

I've never been to the zoo; I have no idea how long the child needed to be unattended in order for this to happen. Mom could be a terrible parent, for all I know.

But, what I do know is that animal enthusiasts can be especially vile, as evidence by the fact that they've gone after this mother's place of business (she's just an employee, not the owners), loading it with false, negative "reviews". I just can't stand the whipped up mob of knee-jerk vengeance they so often become. It's one thing to attack the mother (although, that's pretty tacky in my opinion). But to try to destroy everything she's touched is frothing, rabid bullshit.

Back