• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sue sue

Take 6
A 17 yo male gorilla has been shot dead by the Cincinnati zoo's dangerous animal threat team after a 4yo boy (3yo depends which story you read) fell into the enclosure.
This wasn't the typical parent dangling the child over the enclosure scenerrio. The mom was attending to the needs of another child when the 3yo went to visit the gorilla. The little boy crawled under the guarding around the enclosure through the wiring and fell 10 ft into the gorilla enclosure.
17yo Harambe was a 400lb Western lowland silverback. The male gorilla became agitated and started dragging the child around.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/28/child-r...illa-enclosure-at-cincinnati-zoo-is-attacked/

Last edited:
Its sad that he got shot, but so be it, its a little boy.

I wonder though, if the gorilla actually was trying to injure or kill the little boy? Maybe he was being territorial and did want to hurt him, maybe he didn't mean to hurt him, but given that the gorilla is about a thousand times stronger and rougher that it seemed that way, or indeed was that way.

I hope the kid is OK. That poor Mum - if I were her, I'd strap that kid into one of those leashes from now on in ha ha - he's clearly one you can't turn your back on for a moment.

I'm sick and and angry.
First off, the boy is now reported to be 6 not 3. But any way, this mother should not have let him go over there alone. I'm so sick and tired of parents thinking the whole world is their babysitter.
I wished they would have let nature tske its course. Plenty of undisciplined little 6 year olds in the world but silver back gorillas are on the endangered list.
Goddammet anyway.

Maynard said a tranquilizer would not have taken effect immediately, and the gorilla may have become agitated and harm the boy further if Zoo staff had used that method. Earlier reports did indicate that staff tranquilized the primate.

The Zoo had just celebrated Harambe’s birthday on Friday.

Gorilla World will be closed indefinitely following the incident but the zoo will open as usual on Sunday.

I was wondering why not a tranquilizer. And it was just after his birthday.

Rip Harambe, I'm sorry you were put into such a position.

From @Sue sue's link

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/us/zoo-kills-gorilla/

The Cincinnati Zoo shot and killed a western lowland gorilla on Saturday after a 4-year-old boy slipped into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said at a news conference.
Harambe, a 17-year-old, 400-pound gorilla, carried the boy around its habitat for about 10 minutes in what the zoo's dangerous animal response team considered a life-threatening situation, Cincinnati Zoo Director Thane Maynard said at a press briefing.

"The child was not under attack but all sorts of things could happen," Thane said. "He certainly was at risk."

Maynard said it appeared the boy went under the rail, through wires and over the moat wall.

I'm gonna throw up when the inevitable happens and this idiot family sues the zoo. The zoo SHOULD be filing suit against this family. I don't see how morons like these aren't on the hook for the cost of the animal when something like this happens.

I've been to this zoo, it's a great one. The gorilla exhibit is quite nice, and it takes a deliberate attempt to access it. This wasn't a case of a kid accidentally falling in. You can't just merely lean a bit too far over and boom, you're fucked. There's the rails, there's fencing of some sort, and then there's like a 30 foot fucking ravine, in between spectators and the gorillas. I would have never thought someone could even get across if they wanted to. Yet this trash, dipshit family allows their kid to Mission Impossible his way in, and now one of the sweetest, coolest, most peaceful and endangered animals has lost yet another member to the destructive and irresponsible nature of mankind. Sickening.

Seriously, the zoo should sue. Send a message.

I also wonder what kind of insurance policies they have on these animals. I wonder if a bullet might pay off more than a mere nap.

The kid had to climb through some shit and over some shit to get there, it took effort. How could the parents not notice that their child wasn't standing next to them.

Jack's title for his dupe thread describes perfectly how I feel about the situation. I was at this zoo last weekend. There's railing, an electrical wire around the perimeter of the enclosure (in case the gorilla's try to escape) bushes, a moat, then the area where the gorillas are. It's designed to keep people out!

The thing about shooting at the gorilla, what if they missed and hit the kid? What if they just wounded the gorilla and pissed him off royally?

Those parents are lucky he did not tear that child to tiny bits on film. He was a gentle as a 400 pounds thing could be with a rag doll. Now he is dead. Sigh

I'm not watching that video - I don't need to see the gorilla get shot, and that still frame looks like the toddler is terrified. So sad for everyone - mostly the gorilla and zoo - and I hope the parents learned something about watching their kids. I have no problem seeing a kid on a 'leash' - I was on one when I was a kid, my mom had 2 kids a year apart, and you can't chase 2 kids in different directions. It's better than seeing a gorilla get murdered.

I use the leash backback with my daughter along with the freezegame. Sometimes she doesn't listen. Frankly I am not horribly upset with the mother. She was distracted with one of her children, not playing with her phone or taking a fucking selfie. Each one of us had a situation were our child slip from our grasp and took off. I'm sure this Mom has been beating herself up hard.

Last edited:
Yeah I was one of those kids on a leash. I was a huge asshole and thought it was funny to go run and hide places. They sell some really cute ones (ironically) at the zoo.

They didn't show the gorilla getting shot on that video Kat posted. They just showed a scared ass kid. I would have flipped out if I saw that shit.

Jack's title for his dupe thread describes perfectly how I feel about the situation. I was at this zoo last weekend. There's railing, an electrical wire around the perimeter of the enclosure (in case the gorilla's try to escape) bushes, a moat, then the area where the gorillas are. It's designed to keep people out!

The thing about shooting at the gorilla, what if they missed and hit the kid? What if they just wounded the gorilla and pissed him off royally?
Apparently Jack thinks my posting of the story needed more refinement.

Mine was placed in the more appropriate sub-board and my input more valuable.
I do like your title better.
[doublepost=1464548132,1464547931][/doublepost]@JackBurton said
"I also wonder what kind of insurance policies they have on these animals. I wonder if a bullet might pay off more than a mere nap."

A tranq dart takes too long to work.

I use the leash backback with my daughter along with the freezegame. Sometimes she doesn't listen. Frankly I am not horribly upset with the mother. She was distracted with one of her children, not playing with her phone or taking a fucking selfie. Each one of us had a situation were our child slip from our grasp and took off. I'm sure this Mom has been beating herself up hard.

I agree, @Sue sue, I heard she was distracted with another child...but this kid could have been killed. And sounds like it took him a few minutes to get through the obstacles/fences/wires, he didn't simply fall. It's a horrible thing, I can't imagine the impact this will have on the other zoo visitors who witnessed it, and other gorillas (if there were any?)

I thought you liked percised and factual titles @JackBurton. I find your title to be hypocritical since have you have critized others for the same type of titles.

Didn't this happen a while back somewhere else, where a female gorilla cradled the child until someone rescued it? I'll google it, if nobody remembers it.

Didn't this happen a while back somewhere else, where a female gorilla cradled the child until someone rescued it? I'll google it, if nobody remembers it.

It happens more than you would think. I have been taking my kids to zoos for 18 years and have not dropped one in an enclosure yet. This animal could have ripped that kid to shreds. He did not deserve to die.

I'm sick and and angry.
First off, the boy is now reported to be 6 not 3. But any way, this mother should not have let him go over there alone. I'm so sick and tired of parents thinking the whole world is their babysitter.
I wished they would have let nature tske its course. Plenty of undisciplined little 6 year olds in the world but silver back gorillas are on the endangered list.
Goddammet anyway.

So damn true. Not many silverbacks left. And the age of 6 changes things. 6, for a normal healthy boy without any conditions to take into consideration, is old enough to understand 'no'. And to understand basic rules. Like don't climb into the fucking enclosure. Or don't run while Mum's distracted and get up to mischief.

A 6 yr old is only generally capable of this however, depending on the style and quality of the parenting they have received. So some sarcastic kudos to Mum for raising a ratbag whose actions resulted in the death of an animal that at this point, still does not appear to have intentionally harmed the boy.

We need to eradicate zoos full stop. I hate the idea of caging animals purely for the purpose for a bunch of ignorant humans to waddle past and gawk, from behind screens and bars. Its sick. We wouldn't treat each other like this. Where is our basic humanity when it comes to highly intelligent animals from the animal kingdom.

I still think the kid needs a leash. But in the absence of any further evidence to the contrary, I also believe the mother needs a few basic parenting classes.

Last edited:
So damn true. Not many silverbacks left. And the age of 6 changes things. 6, for a normal healthy boy without any conditions to take into consideration, is old enough to understand 'no'. And to understand basic rules. Like don't climb into the fucking enclosure. Or don't run while Mum's distracted and get up to mischief.

A 6 yr old is only generally capable of this however, depending on the style and quality of the parenting they have received. So some sarcastic kudos to Mum for raising a ratbag whose actions resulted in the death of an animal that at this point, still does not appear to have intentionally harmed the boy.

We need to eradicate zoos full stop. I hate the idea of caging animals purely for the purpose for a bunch of ignorant humans to waddle past and gawk, from behind screens and bars. Its sick. We wouldn't treat each other like this. Where is our basic humanity when it comes to highly intelligent animals from the animal kingdom.

I still think the kid needs a leash. But in the absence of any further evidence to the contrary, I also believe the mother needs a few basic parenting classes.
Could you guys provide the link that states the child was 6. I have not read any that states his age has such. Thank you.

@sarahdownunder
I was an animal control officer for 22 years.
I know that a tranq dart takes 15 to 20 minutes to work. If the mark is missed and they weren't sure if they got a clear clean hit then they have to wait and see if the animal shows any signs. If not, then hit it again.
If only part of the solution went in and then the dart fell or was removed by the gorilla (I did once see a monkey hit and she grabbed it and pulled it out.) And he was only partly sedated he could have turn instantly violent. If that were the case, he could hace torn that boy in shreds in seconds.
I understand why they chose to shoot him. The gorilla wasn't hurting the child but they couldn't wait and see.

I am so angry because this should never have happened. I still feel like we have plenty of little 6year old brats to spare. The mother should be at least charged with a crime and sent a bill for the gorillas value. What ever that value is.

Lastly, zoos are a godsend and a hell all rolled into one.
While I feel horrible that the animals are caged, I understand charging admission. That pays for the upkeep and employees wages. I have mixed emotions about that.

Back