• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a6e40e-2421-11e6-b944-52f7b1793dae_story.html

A joint funeral was held Thursday in Selma for the women, 29-year-old Kalyn Rolan and 53-year-old Roberta Lynn Duke, both of Prattville.

Rolan’s mother-in-law, Sheila Rolan, said she still can’t believe both women died within a day of each other.

“It’s something I’ve never had to deal with, especially attending two funerals,” said Rolan. “I loved her mother, and she was my daughter-in-law for 10 years.”

Duke died May 19 after suffering from lung disease, Rolan said, and the younger woman was in rural Dallas County the next day with husband Brandon Rolan preparing for the funeral. The older woman had lived in a mobile home with the couple as her health declined, Rolan said.

Kalyn was attacked while atop the remains of a large round hay bale. She was talking on a cellphone with a longtime friend, apparently about her mom’s funeral arrangements, Rolan said.

“Brandon said she was standing there with a stick talking on the phone. She was just beating the hay with the stick, Brandon said, and it stirred up the ants,” Sheila Rolan said. “She ran off the hay stack, and they tried to get her clothes off to get the ants off her.”

Coroner Alan Dailey said the woman was treated by volunteer firefighters and then ambulance workers during a 25-mile ride to a Selma hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Autopsy results aren’t complete, he said, but it appeared the woman’s airway closed from anaphylactic shock, a severe allergic reaction to the bites.

“She had multiple bites around both ankles,” Dailey said. “Those red ants are a problem all over the South. They’re mean, and by the time you know you’ve been bit once they are all over you.”

I know from personal experience fire ants are not to be messed with even if you are not allergic. Too many stings will kill you anyway.

There are fire ant hills like every 2 feet here in Ga, we get used to them being everywhere. But I'm sure she or nobody else expected that they had bedded down in a hay stack. They like to swarm you and after at least a thousand get on you then they start biting.

But you can manage to get just one or two occasionally and they hurt like hell and will swell and pus up, more than 3-4 bites I'd go to the doctor and more than 8-10, I'd go to the ER, just to be on the safe side.

I found video on YouTube of a guy that would melt aluminum and pour it down anthills, among other things, then dig the cast out once it cooled. Killed the little bastards dead Dead DEAD plus gave an interesting sculpture.

--Al

I don't know these people...and I don't care if I get reamed for saying this...but I'm not going

to automatically feel for them just because they're dead. From here it looks like God

wanted them gone.

We have fire ant hills every where! I'm just so thankful no one in my family is allergic or we'd all be dead. So many times accidentally standing in an ant pile. Poor lady.. But imagine all those ant bites to pop

Wonder if she knew she was allergic and attempted to use the shot thing they give such folk. People should know whether theyre allergic to such things.

I don't know these people...and I don't care if I get reamed for saying this...but I'm not going
to automatically feel for them just because they're dead. From here it looks like God
wanted them gone.

I don't get it. Your stance is that God may have wanted them gone, and therefore you do too, or at least don't mind that they died.

Why would you agree with God when it comes to such things? I tend to disagree with the guy(if he exists) on most things. Fuck him.

wanted them gone.
I see your point. I don't have enough emotions to feel for every person that falls over dead but getting ate by ants so soon after her mother dying, just wow.:eek: I feel for this woman.

I had a bad experience with fire ants on my very first trip to Florida in my early twenties. I had no clue about them til I stepped on a nest wearing nylons and dress shoes. Their bites are incredibly painful. My feet were quickly covered with them.

Back