• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-month-found-dead-car-north-carolina-39394719

Not alot out yet, but this is another child that someone forgot to take to day care and he stayed in the car all day.

Police in North Carolina are investigating after an 8-month-old child was found dead in a car when his mother went to a day care center to pick him up.

Wilmington police spokeswoman Linda Rawley told local news outlets the child apparently was never dropped off Wednesday and may have been in the car from 9:30 a.m. until the mother went to the day care Wednesday evening.

Authorities haven't released the names of the parents or child. The cause of death hasn't been determined.

Meteorologists say the outside temperature reached 86 degrees and it could have reached 135 degrees in the car.

Assistant Police Chief Jim Varrone said he couldn't confirm whether the child was in a car seat.

Every parking lot needs a commissionaire type person who checks for babies.

I'll pay more taxes just to make it happen.

Every parking lot needs a commissionaire type person who checks for babies.

I'll pay more taxes just to make it happen.

I wish the daycare centers would take one more step to ensure everything is ok, since so and so is meant to be there and they are not.

I wish people would slow down a bit. Stop rushing through their day at manic speed, stressed out by multiple pressures, responsibilities and duties. That way, less babies get forgotten.

Is this a new thing? It seems like it, forgetting babies in cars on hot days. Or has this been a problem since we invented cars, daycare, mothers and dads both working - I.e modern day culture.

It'd be nice for the daycare to check up - especially since they'll just charge for the placement spot anyway. It'd be nice to have parking commissioners to check for babies or pets left in vehicles.

But it diverts from individual responsibility. I'm sorry to say that I don't have empathy for any parent who does this. I understand mitigating circumstances and environments can make them so distracted that they forget - but that's simply not a good enough justification for their actions.

They deserve to be charged and punished. An innocent lost it's life in a miserable way and it came down, pure and simple, to basic neglect. Harsh, but its accurate.
[doublepost=1464301076,1464300813][/doublepost]
Now when I am in parking lots I'm always looking for babies or dogs.

I saw one just the other week. Windows wound all the way up. I stood by the car for a few minutes, the baby was OK - waiting for the parent to come back and take over.

When no one did, I started looking around to make sure they weren't nearby before I started smashing expensive windows - and the mum had been watching me, the entire time, from the bakery she was inside, about 30 metres away.

I wasn't happy. She didn't want to lose her place in the queue, so she did that. Didn't even crack a window. In her eyes, it was OK because she was watching the car from inside - but I didn't know - I couldn't see her.

All I saw, was a very young baby, maybe 6 months, strapped in, windows up, on its own, in broad daylight. And she'd me wait there for a good 5 mins without coming out. What else was I supposed to think? She's fucking lucky I cared enough about her baby, to stand guard and look for a way to help it.

this is just getting rediculous now....is this like the new way to legitimately kill your kid without having to be accused of child abuse? sure as hell seems like it....especially for the "mothers" who seem to get away with doing it and escaping charges more then then males/father's do.

The mother of an 8-month-old boy found dead in her vehicle realized she had left her baby there all day after returning to a daycare center hours later to pick him up.

"We have a baby that was left in the car and is unresponsive," a woman told 911 operators.

According to Linda Rawley with the Wilmington Police Department, the mother intended to take the baby someplace else after dropping off her older child at Pax Natura at 9:30 a.m. The baby usually would have been dropped off at the daycare as well.

"It's been in there since 9 this morning," a caller told 911 operators with shock. "Mom forgot about it all day while she was at work."

Rawley said the mother came back to the daycare center, part of the Childcare Network daycare, at around 5 p.m. to pick both children up, and realized she never took the baby to the other place.

http://www.wect.com/story/32066815/8-month-old-dies-after-being-left-in-mothers-car-at-pax-natura

I just can't anymore. I don't even read this shit. I just give kudos and back away like the thread is on fire. Nope. Nope. Nope. Never will I ever understand this.
I've said before the boy did almost forget Baby D in the car once on a trip to the store but he had a feeling he forgot something and immediately thought BABY!
Do these people not have these feelings? It's rare that he is out with the baby and I am not there so it could have happened.
This is too much.

Is this a new thing? It seems like it, forgetting babies in cars on hot days. Or has this been a problem since we invented cars, daycare, mothers and dads both working - I.e modern day culture.

It's a problem that was almost nonexistent before airbags, actually. Before airbags, no one put their kid in the back seat. It went from something that happened maybe a handful of times every year to something that happens a few dozen times every year.

It'd be nice for the daycare to check up - especially since they'll just charge for the placement spot anyway.

Experts recommend parents arrange just that with their day cares. But, it should become policy at day care centers anyway. Shit, people are paying enough for the service. In some places in the U.S., day care costs as much as a year of university tuition.

They deserve to be charged and punished. An innocent lost it's life in a miserable way and it came down, pure and simple, to basic neglect. Harsh, but its accurate.

No, it's not neglect at all, actually. Not in a legal sense. Neglect involves willful disregard or recklessness. Honestly forgetting or missing something when otherwise acting in good faith is exactly what neglect is not, and that's why charges are levied in less than half of these cases.

You accidentally cause a car accident that kills someone, but you weren't speeding or texting or drinking (otherwise acting in good faith), you will not be charged. If you were doing something you shouldn't be doing behind the wheel, you will be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Unless these parents are found to have been doing something they shouldn't be doing, they are generally not charged. As it should be. Anything else would be a perversion of legal theory in order to exact an unnecessary pound of flesh from already suffering individuals.

I call leaving a child that you put in a car seat, strapped them down and then forgot if you took them to a destination before going about your day pretty reckless. Use a fucking Sharpie to write on your forehead if need be for crying out loud. DID I FORGET BABY ON BOARD???

I call leaving a child that you put in a car seat, strapped them down and then forgot if you took them to a destination before going about your day pretty reckless. Use a fucking Sharpie to write on your forehead if need be for crying out loud. DID I FORGET BABY ON BOARD???
aplausos.gif

I always think about how hot it is when I get into my car even on a cooler day. I hate it. It drives me crazy. I can't imagine what these babies and kids go through, being stuck, and not able to do anything about it. This just sucks. :(

Use a fucking Sharpie to write on your forehead if need be for crying out loud. DID I FORGET BABY ON BOARD???

You think most people have that kind of awareness? This is classic "it'll never happen to me," syndrome. I bet, if Linda was a DD member a month ago, she'd be reacting this way to these stories, too.

But you're DIFFERENT, right? So you don't have to write anything on your forehead. I'm sure she thought she was different, too.

~Athena~ We will just have to disagree on this one. Yes, I would say that I am different as I as a parent, and a very busy one in fact as the mother of 4, was super aware about the proximity of my children whenever we left the home, regardless of the destination. It was my job to be aware as their mother that when 4 heads went into my vehicle that all 4 heads made it out.

But you're DIFFERENT, right? So you don't have to write anything on your forehead. I'm sure she thought she was different, too.

I would expect a rational adult to think that even though they may have greater awareness than some others that it's still a good idea to have a reminder in front of them. Do we really have to wait for some government issued directive or NIH to start with the PSA's? I'm still of the opinion that there has been enough education about it and there are enough safety options that have been shared that there is no longer any excuse for forgetting your child in the car. Of course, even seeing others punished for it might not be enough to rattle some complacent idiots.

Wait @sarahdownunder are you telling me mom watched some random (no offense) woman standing near her car where she'd left her baby and STILL didn't rush out thinking you were about to snatch it??

Yep. When she did come out, I think she realized I was about to do some window breaking - she smiled and said she was watching from the bakery. She clearly didn't see me as a threat to her baby - I was dressed well - so maybe I gave off a 'normal' vibe? I don't know. She was very much not worried that I was cupping my hands, staring in at the baby from time to time, loitering around the car, looking around me in the general area. I would have thought I looked dodgy as fuck lol. Apparently she didn't.
[doublepost=1464386629,1464386214][/doublepost]
It's a problem that was almost nonexistent before airbags, actually. Before airbags, no one put their kid in the back seat. It went from something that happened maybe a handful of times every year to something that happens a few dozen times every year.

Experts recommend parents arrange just that with their day cares. But, it should become policy at day care centers anyway. Shit, people are paying enough for the service. In some places in the U.S., day care costs as much as a year of university tuition.

No, it's not neglect at all, actually. Not in a legal sense. Neglect involves willful disregard or recklessness. Honestly forgetting or missing something when otherwise acting in good faith is exactly what neglect is not, and that's why charges are levied in less than half of these cases.

You accidentally cause a car accident that kills someone, but you weren't speeding or texting or drinking (otherwise acting in good faith), you will not be charged. If you were doing something you shouldn't be doing behind the wheel, you will be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Unless these parents are found to have been doing something they shouldn't be doing, they are generally not charged. As it should be. Anything else would be a perversion of legal theory in order to exact an unnecessary pound of flesh from already suffering individuals.

Thankyou for that. It makes total sense. I do disagree on the neglect front, though. Perhaps we should agree to disagree :).

Perhaps its not neglect in the official terminology, but I disagree with giving someone a bye just because they didn't 'mean' to maim or kill their child due to forgetting them. Yeah, they'd be sickened with grief and horror. I can't imagine their pain.

Sometimes actions are accidental - but that doesn't mean you get a free pass on the consequences. If you knock over a candle by mistake and the consequence is you burn the room down - well, tough basically. You didn't mean to knock over the candle, but life isn't going to let you off the hook on the consequence.

And in this case, the consequence is paid for, by an innocent - who will have suffered a miserable death. That's not right in my book.

Accident or not, there was an action taken by the parent that led to the consequence of the horribly unnecessary death of a baby. In our societies, you are legally required to NOT cause the death of a baby - ergo, this action and its consequence deserves punishment.

Last edited:
Ok so I've been reading a lot recently on this whole "phenomenon " lately. Needless to say it's been on my mind. Yesterday I was taking Devon(daughter) to my dentist with me and was snapping her in her car seat, for some reason it almost made me dropped to my knees thinking about these poor babies. For a second I thought " oh my god could you imagine her being in this car ALONE, completely immobilized in the car seat in 85-90 degrees. ( it was 87 here yesterday) Just opening my truck and putted her in, she was sweating and telling me she was hot while I wiped the bangs from her sticky head... It made my whole stomach drop just thinking about her struggling , fighting and screaming/crying for mommy to help her. I can't put into words what I felt when I said in my head " what if she was left in this truck?" Bottom line is, I can't imagine what these poor kids went through during the time they were alive fighting in the heat. It makes me sick. Just looking at Devon and having that thought go through my head really made me think how much I need to protect her, not to mention it ruined my day. Picturing Devon going through that.... It was a feeling/ thought that I never want to have again. It was a horrible. Just really messed me up. The terror these children experience is just unimaginable and very depressing... :yawn:
[doublepost=1464388738,1464387793][/doublepost]I also agree these parents need to be charged with something. When you put your child into a vehicle it is your responsibility to transfer them safely to the destination. So yes that is negligence of that does not occur. intentional? I believe for some, yes it is and they need to be charged with mirder. For others, I do not think they should be charged with murder but child negligence, yes I do.

Back