• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Heatheness

Que Sera, Sera
Doctors in Florida are trying to understand how a woman who was blind for 21 years has regained her sight.

Mary Ann Franco lost her sight after a serious car crash.

Recently, she fell in her home and injured her neck. After spinal surgery, she woke up in the hospital and could see.

Her neurosurgeon says it is truly a miracle. He thinks Franco's car accident may have kinked an artery in her spine, restricting blood flow to the part of her brain that controls vision.

When he performed surgery on her spine, he may have unwittingly unkinked the artery.

http://abc7ny.com/health/woman-regains-sight-after-being-blind-for-21-years/1317118/

Brain injuries are bizarre. While Dr's know a lot abt the brain, they readily admit that there's so much they (& ppl in general) have yet to learn. With brain injuries, sometimes "miracles" actually DO happen!

Incredible that after the blood flow was restricted in that area of her brain for TWENTY ONE YEARS, the damage was even reversible.

What an amazing story. Best surgical side effect EVERRR.

Is she okay now though? Woman hurt her spine in a wreck, she might be fucked in other ways now.

It'd be funny if she was just faking it.

...he may have unwittingly unkinked the artery.

Yes, unwittingly is one of the best ways to perform surgery. But apparently, that the best we have in America nowadays.

If I was this lady I would sing amazing grace at every single event that I could, oh yea bitches, the song is about me.

That song is about a slave ship captain who decided to stop being such a rotten, cruel bastard.
If I was blind for two decades and now I see, that song is all about me. (by the way I was pretty sure the song wasn't all that literal) But, I did not know that, thats interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

"Amazing Grace" is a Christian hymn published in 1779, with words written by the English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807).

Newton wrote the words from personal experience. He grew up without any particular religious conviction, but his life's path was formed by a variety of twists and coincidences that were often put into motion by his recalcitrant insubordination. He was pressed (conscripted) into service in the Royal Navy, and after leaving the service, he became involved in the Atlantic slave trade. In 1748, a violent storm battered his vessel off the coast of County Donegal, Ireland, so severely that he called out to God for mercy, a moment that marked his spiritual conversion. He continued his slave trading career until 1754 or 1755, when he ended his seafaring altogether and began studying Christian theology.

Ordained in the Church of England in 1764, Newton became curate of Olney, Buckinghamshire, where he began to write hymns with poet William Cowper. "Amazing Grace" was written to illustrate a sermon on New Year's Day of 1773. It is unknown if there was any music accompanying the verses; it may have simply been chanted by the congregation. It debuted in print in 1779 in Newton and Cowper's Olney Hymns but settled into relative obscurity in England. In the United States, however, "Amazing Grace" was used extensively during the Second Great Awakening in the early 19th century. It has been associated with more than 20 melodies, but in 1835 it was joined to a tune named "New Britain" to which it is most frequently sung today.

With the message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of sins committed and that the soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God, "Amazing Grace" is one of the most recognizable songs in the English-speaking world. Author Gilbert Chase writes that it is "without a doubt the most famous of all the folk hymns,"[1] and Jonathan Aitken, a Newton biographer, estimates that it is performed about 10 million times annually.[2] It has had particular influence in folk music, and has become an emblematic African American spiritual. Its universal message has been a significant factor in its crossover into secular music. "Amazing Grace" saw a resurgence in popularity in the U.S. during the 1960s and has been recorded thousands of times during and since the 20th century, occasionally appearing on popular music charts.

My husband was not particularly religious, but he loved that song, so I asked that it be sung at his funeral, that and Toby Keith's American Soldier, it was that kind of funeral.

Wow. When President Obama sang Amazing Grace it literally gave me goosebumps on my arms. He's a good singer. I especially like the beginning of the song when he sang it. Js

I will give you twenty-four hours to delete this post, meine liebschen, otherwise, I shall be forced to send the otters after you!

laughing_otters_jenny_rollo1.jpg

Back