• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
hEblRdn.jpg

w3onknO.jpg

A mother and her three-year-old daughter died Tuesday after an Amtrak train crashed into their SUV in the San Francisco Bay Area, authorities said.

The front of the SUV was crushed beneath the train in San Leandro, where the crash occurred Tuesday afternoon.

Vanessa Henriquez, 30, and her three-year-old daughter, Saidy, both of Oakland, were attended by Alameda County Fire and Paramedics Plus but they were pronounced dead at the scene, according to KTVU.

The crash occurred at a railroad crossing, Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham said. She did not know whether the arms were down.

Henriquez also had a young son and was married to a man named Lorenzo.

There were 39 passengers on the train bound for Sacramento from San Jose. None of them was injured, Graham said.

The train is allowed to go up to 79 mph through the area. Graham said she didn't know how fast it was going.

The train pushed the SUV to what appears to be an eight and a quarter of a miles down the train tracks, according to police.

The scene might have been confusing for the driver of the SUV, San Leandro Police Lt. Robert McManus said. 'There is a construction zone which could have created some confusion,' McManus told KNTV-TV.

But another TV station, KTVU-TV, reported the SUV was stopped on the tracks because of traffic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ged-eight-miles-got-stuck-level-crossing.html

I hope they passed quickly... :(

Judging from the front end damage, I'd imagine so. At least the driver would have, more than likely.

I'm a bit curious as to where Saidy was seated. From the article, at least one report is that the vehicle got stuck on the tracks due to traffic... For their sakes I hope it broadsided them and then spun the SUV around to the position it ultimately ended up in. Seems like that would have been instantaneous, at least. :(

I think you can go with that theory, @everjaded .

Bit more info at this link. http://www.ktvu.com/news/144457278-story

There's a video of the suv being towed away at the above link. You only get a quick look, but it looks to me that the impact was to the side very near the drivers door. I hope it was instant. 80 mph kinda guarantees it.

o6065h.png

Screenshot

214cto5.jpg

From the Daily Mail article above.

Last edited:
Do people really not know that trains run on railroad tracks? Or that trains are not usually stopped for any reason, even your SUV, and if they do stop it generally takes a couple miles to come to a complete stop? Do they not understand that even if you haven't ever seen the train personally, the tracks are still there for a reason?

Poor baby. And Mama, too.

I always stop well before the tracks. Right before the keep clear message painted on the street. Around here the tracks are bordered by large 2 Lane streets on each side so it's conceivable that you could get stuck on them at a stop light.

There is no where I need to be that is worth potentially getting smashed by a train.

Absolutely avoidable deaths. Tragic.

Confusing because of traffic construction my ass- EVERY driver who took the test knows to NOT be on ANY tracks idle and if you see a train get the fuck out of the vehicle!?

None of them was injured, Graham said.

None of them was injured? I hope Graham said it JUST like that, Daily Mail. You Brits have been speaking English a lot longer than we have, and that is stylistically clumsy in any version of the language. :p

*Edited because Abroad's bringin' up old shit.

Last edited:
None of them was injured? I hope Graham said it JUST like that, Daily Mail. You Brits have been speaking English a lot longer than we have, and that is grammatically incorrect in any version of the language. :p

None is singular, no?

None is singular, no?

Busted on a technicality. While it did descend as a singular from Old English, it has been used for a millennium in both a singular and plural form depending on context, so there's really no justification for the contextual inconsistency aside from, "But, it was exclusively singular for 6 months 1,000 years ago!" If it's referencing a plural, it should take a plural verb.

But, I will revise my comment to note that it is stylistically clumsy rather than grammatically incorrect. :oops:

There is place here, really near the center of town where there WERE tracks and trains came thru several times a day, never were there any crossing signals or gates just a a RR crossing sign, those tracks were removed at least 10-15 years ago and I still have a problem going over the bumps that are still in the road where those tracks WERE. I wanna stop-look-listen so bad.

I don't get just bumping over half of them and sitting there waiting for the traffic to clear when you could have stopped 15 feet sooner and not risked your life. It really was preventable.

I like trains.
Do a lot of train watching.
8 miles being pushed?
How was that not noticed?

I am having a hard time figuring out how this occurred. It appears her vehicle is stuck up/in the rear of the train almost as if she rear ended it. If the train were traveling at 80 miles an hour I would think the SUV would be stuck in the front of the train or spun out to the side on impact.

I am having a hard time figuring out how this occurred. It appears her vehicle is stuck up/in the rear of the train almost as if she rear ended it. If the train were traveling at 80 miles an hour I would think the SUV would be stuck in the front of the train or spun out to the side on impact.

I'm so glad someone else noticed. I watched 20 fucking minutes of Californian trains on youtube to check my theory. I am a bit of a nerd, but I'm really not into trains. They're just so boring.

But! It is true. The back of the train is what hit the car. They travel either direction. May answer the 8 mile question, eh? I assume there is someone watching from that end. Hard to say for sure. If there is, they are pretty high, and set back from the window. Would be hard to see something down there, that close.

Still, you'd think they'd have noticed on approach to the crossing ....

Either that or its just a passenger I can see?

If you go in at 9 minutes, this video shows one of those trains coming into a station the correct way, then leaving in reverse after less than a minute. Followed right after by another arriving and leaving in reverse. If you can bear watching trains for 3 minutes, that is ......

I hate my brain sometimes.

9 minutes! Don't watch it all! You must retain your sanity!

Back