• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
MOUNT EVEREST – A woman from Australia who said she was climbing Mount Everest to prove that “vegans can do anything” died on the mountain on Saturday after developing altitude sickness.

Maria Strydom, 34, was a finance lecturer at Monash University living on a vegan diet. She posted on the university’s blog that she and her husband were climbing Mount Everest to prove a point.

“It seems that people have this warped idea of vegans being malnourished and weak,” Strydom said. “By climbing the seven summits we want to prove that vegans can do anything and more.”

Strydom was climbing towards the summit on Friday when she became ill and had to turn back to camp. The rest of the group, including her husband, continued on and are believed to have reached the summit.

After spending the night at the camp, Strydom’s condition deteriorated and she died before a rescue team could reach her. Her husband, who also became sick, was taken to a lower camp and then to a Nepal hospital where he is expected to recover.

“Physically he’s OK, we think,” his father said. “Mentally he is a mess. He’s just lost his wife. These guys were not amateurs, they were experienced climbers.” He wasn’t joking. The couple had already climbed Denali in Alaska, Aconcagua in Argentina, Mount Ararat in Turkey and Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

Three other people died on Everest in the last week, including a 36-year-old man who was part of the couple’s climbing party. About 30 more climbers become sick, frostbitten or both near the summit. The foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, said the deaths are tragic, and travellers need to understand the risks they were taking in trying to climb Everest.

Strydom’s family hope to remove her body from the mountain, but there’s a chance it could remain there like the many others who have died while attempting to reach the summit.

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

atNOS80tEoA

Continue reading...

Me and my husband watched Everest and I could not muster up any sympathy for those dumbasses. I actually felt bad about not feeling bad for them. I just don't understand how people can pay to climb a mountain you will most likely die on.

And the sister of this woman is going batshit about the death.

She chose to climb Mt fucking Everest. It may not be as dangerous a climb as it was 50 years ago, but its still a mountain that kills many, every single year.

I'm sorry that she died. But really. Vegan or not (and ffs, as @Knox said, eat a damn steak) - she was an adult who made the conscious choice to mosey up a mountain on a trek that is globally renowned for its danger and risk of death - and the sister is all surprised and outraged?

Yes. Death DOES happen. Even when you're a pretty middle aged white woman choosing to undertake a potentially deadly trek for no real, discernible reason. I don't see why that's so damn outrageous. She made her bed, now she's forced to lie in it, for eternity.

She chose to climb Mt fucking Everest. It may not be as dangerous a climb as it was 50 years ago, but its still a mountain that kills many, every single year.

I'm sorry that she died. But really. Vegan or not (and ffs, as @Knox said, eat a damn steak) - she was an adult who made the conscious choice to mosey up a mountain on a trek that is globally renowned for its danger and risk of death - and the sister is all surprised and outraged?

Yes. Death DOES happen. Even when you're a pretty middle aged white woman choosing to undertake a potentially deadly trek for no real, discernible reason. I don't see why that's so damn outrageous. She made her bed, now she's forced to lie in it, for eternity.
Like seriously, hasn't she read, "Into Thin Air?" It would have told everything she needed to know about why Everest is so dangerous. :shrug:

And thanksthanks for calling 34, "middle-aged," that makes me feel so, elderly :(

I don't get why anybody would pay tons of money to become a decoration on the slopes of a mountain. I'm saving for a new shotgun or 2 not dying on a mountain. Fuck now I want a steak. Damn it Knox.

I agree but I think the sister has every right to be angry, she read the news online. The husbands parents broke the news to their mum, no one from the trekking company contacted them to explain.

I feel bad for her. She wanted to make vegans look like strong people, but she died instead. Most likely due to diet deficiencies.

It didn't have anything to do when her being vegan, since most vegans who truly understand what their bodies need get more than enough protein and other nutrients.

Altitude sickness seems to take out many on Everest and sadly she is now one of the hundreds of bodies that will be there forever.

I agree but I think the sister has every right to be angry, she read the news online. The husbands parents broke the news to their mum, no one from the trekking company contacted them to explain.

I agree, but maybe I'm being too coldly practical when I think, well, its bloody Nepal for starters. Secondly, the husband would have been next of kin - maybe the sister should be pissed at him and not at a tour company run in a nation that's hardly anywhere near close to our standards in any way. Ultimately, the husband was notified, the company discharged their duty.

But yes, I'd be upset at finding the information online, but I think she's focusing her anger in the wrong direction.

I think hubby was in hospital. Maybe unable to call? I read that he was sick too.

Yeah he was evacuated because of heart failure from pulmonary edema, altitude doesn't fuck around. His parents are with him now in Kathmandu.

I'm an omnivore, but this had nothing to do with diet. I've a perfectly healthy nurse friend that has trouble breathing over a mere 7,000 feet/2100 meters.

In re Everest bodies, Green Boots is gone. When a dead body is a route marker, you're on a very serious undertaking. (Pun unintended)

It didn't have anything to do when her being vegan

True. Altitude sickness can kill anyone.

But since she was one of those morons who need to tell the whole world how 'superior' vegans are, I choose to ignore that and see it as some sort of poetic justice. :cow:

A simple pork chop might have saved this woman's life :D
.... Pork! It's what she shoulda had for dinner :nana:

I'm an omnivore, but this had nothing to do with diet. I've a perfectly healthy nurse friend that has trouble breathing over a mere 7,000 feet/2100 meters.

In re Everest bodies, Green Boots is gone. When a dead body is a route marker, you're on a very serious undertaking. (Pun unintended)

No one knows who moved him though. I guess after being frozen there for 20 years it was time to move him.

cYvP33e.jpg

Air pressure is what keeps fluid from leaking from your blood stream into your lungs.

Its sad to know that things may have panned out differently had she eaten a little bit of meat during her journey. I considered veganism, but after I read this story, I have decided that i wish to remain strong!
Never considered it.
... I am very strict with my diet I will admit.
Since I've turned 40 I'm super health conscience.
(pure vanity I won't lie:p)

I'm sorry if I offend someone here*: there is a good reason why humans have eyes at front and fangs! We hunt our food! We have been doing it before the dawn of time! Those vegan people: they try to make us as intelligent as cows! They are a cult!...
(* I don't care :nana: )

I'm hungry and I want a steak!

Its sad to know that things may have panned out differently had she eaten a little bit of meat during her journey. I considered veganism, but after I read this story, I have decided that i wish to remain strong!
She did the climb to prove vegans are strong. She didn't die because she was vegan, she died because her lungs filled with fluid from the altitude.

She did the climb to prove vegans are strong. She didn't die because she was vegan, she died because her lungs filled with fluid from the altitude.
Yep.

Everest is just short of 30,000 feet tall. Call it six miles or 10 kilometers. That is a two-hour walk, yet it takes people weeks to climb it. Part of the reason for that is it is uphill, thus longer; part of it is to allow the climbers to acclimatize to the higher elevations.

That acclimatization is what allows people to live in the Louisiana swamps and the Arizona deserts, in the Arctic and the Amazon, and in the Zuider Zee and the Alps.

--Al

Altitude sickness SUCKS. I lived in and ran a ski lodge at just shy of 10,000 ft. I've never done terrifically well at altitude myself, nor do I ski... (go figure that I'd wind up a resort manager in a ski town). However, after about 3 to 6 weeks your body acclimates. Plus I grew up in the Mile High City, so I was a little ahead of the adjustment. I did get altitude sickness once though and it felt like the flu and a horrible hangover all mixed in together. :depressed:

We'd have guests visit the lodge from all over the planet, but without fail people from low altitudes in particular would immediately ask where the nearest liquor store was, not realizing how sick they might get from high altitude drinking. I'd have to explain to go easy on the booze or they'd be in a whole new kind of hangover hell (which also exacerbates the risk of altitude sickness). We had a handful of guests over time that had to cut their vacation short and/or be admitted to the hospital. I started to stock up on those spray cans of oxygen and Emergen-C packets just to have on hand for people.

I did love it up there, but I'm also quite happy to be living 4,000 ft lower now. Call me old fashioned, but I just really like that stuff called oxygen. :D

Latest posts

Back