Mother In Custody After Her Missing Son, 3, Found Encased In ConcreteDog Was High On Crack When It Mauled Owner To Death In Front Of BBC CrewMan Strangled His Two Infant Sons To Death Before Hanging HimselfWoman Accused Of Trying To Flush Newborn Baby Down McDonald's ToiletToddler Hanged Herself From Car Seat As Mom Was Passed Out On DrugsFlorida Man Accused Of Leaving Toddler Out Overnight During Hurricane IrmaBoy And His Parents Die After Falling Into Volcanic CraterWoman's Ex-husband Killed Her And Eight Others At CookoutTeen Raped, Murdered Homeless Woman Before Sexually Assaulting Her CorpseMan Accused Of Killing Three Children In Front Of Their Mother

TOMS RIVER, NJ – Police say a 10-year-old girl was electrocuted in a lagoon behind a home in New Jersey.

The incident happened Saturday night in a waterfront section of Toms River known as Shelter Cove, where 11 -year-old Kayla Matos was visiting friends.

Matos and two of her friends eventually got in the water where they were swimming and using an inflatable raft. Here’s where the news reports get a little confusing.

From what I can gather, two of the girls touched a rail to a metal boat lift, causing an electric current to energized the equipment. This, in turn, electrocuted Matos.

Adults supervising the children and immediately began performing CPR on the girl until medics arrived.

Matos was rushed to the hospital where she would later die. The other two girls were unharmed.

“It’s like a nightmare we’re living in. It’s just not real. Just not real. She was just a little girl. She loved just simple things,” said one of Matos’ relatives. “She was very excited for a dance coming up. It’s just very sad. She will be truly missed.”

I’m not an electrician, so I am not quite sure exactly what caused Matos to get electrocuted… but I imagine it has a lot to do with faulty wiring with the boat lift.

This is the second death of this type over the weekend. In Put-In-Bay, Ohio a 19-year-old was also electrocuted near his family’s boat.

According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, a family were docked at a marina when they plugged the shore power into the boat.

Their dog fell into the water and began to struggle, so the father jumped in and also began to struggle. Then his two sons jumped in to help, and then they began to struggle.

Bystanders who knew what was happening yelled at the mother to unplug the boat, stopping the electrical current in the water. Everyone got back in the boat, but 19-year-old Evan Currie was unresponsive and convulsing. He died at the scene.

Help The Dreamin Demon go ad free! Support us on Patreon!
Tags: , , ,

Comments


The views expressed in the comments are those of the comment writers and don't represent the views or opinions of D'D or its staff. Feel free to flag comments that may violate conditions outlined in our Disclaimer.

  • Poor kid 🙁

  • keepalow

    My gods.
    The dog was struggling… the dad was struggling… then the two sons struggling.
    Must of looked like a scene out of a scary
    Movie.

  • Damn.

  • BG

    RIP Kayla, I hope your friends get help this summer to get past your passing… 🙁

  • Avakin Life biancaSlayer

    the fact that she was my friend. I haven’t stopped crying ever since.

  • Taster’sChoice

    That’s just shocking that in the second story only the 19 year old died!

  • Diva of Destruction

    Shocking!!!! Okay if it wasn’t me it would have been someone else.

  • Diva of Destruction

    An electrifying weekend for sure.

  • Sejanus

    Shocking, just…shocking.

  • R.I.P Best Friend

  • Josh

    I almost got shocked during a cable install a few years ago. Cable line to the house was grounded to the breaker panel as usual. I was changing the connector on the line at the street and my stripping tool was making sparks so I touched the cable line to a ground point inside the pedestal and a flash of light happened so I kept tapping the cable to ground cause I was fascinated. Inside the house light bulbs exploded. My volt meter showed 220V on the cable line.

  • keepalow

    Sounds like fun.

  • keepalow

    THERE YOU ARE. You’re cheating on us with the front page!!!

    Does nell know about this??

  • BG

    Nope – I can’t get in on the forums. The forums page will load, but I can’t see any my 100+ notifications or read any of what is in my inbox. It won’t even go to a story so I can read it. It’s weird! That’s on my cell, my tablet and my desktop at work. Maybe someone complained enough about my differing views and the powers that be decided that I don’t group-think enough to participate anymore? Who knows?!? 😉

  • JohnQknowitall

    Poor kids.

  • keepalow

    I don’t think thats it. Your account doesn’t have the ban stamp on it. I don’t know what could have caused it.

  • BG

    Hmm, maybe after my world calms the “F” down in the next week to ten days I will investigate it more vigorously. Things be WAY cray right now though. I do miss you and several others though. A few on the other hand, well, it has been DELIGHTFUL to catch a break from. LOLOLOL!

  • keepalow

    I took it upon myself to email sub. So maybe she can fix it.
    Take care, see you down in the den????

  • BG

    Thanks Lovey! Hopefully I’ll get back in the den soon! 😉

  • Delirious Devil

    Have you tried clearing your cache?

  • DaveL

    A lot of DIY, How-hard-could-it-be home “electricians” reverse the hot and neutral lines. If it causes a short to ground and makes the breaker trip, they disconnect the ground wire. A lot of equipment will actually still work like that. A lot of equipment in that state will have exposed electrified metal, sure, but it’ll turn on.

  • Duane Aho

    I see this every year. it almost always falls back on one thing. A faulty GFI. A 6$ part that takes only seconds to test. I have seen a litany of maintenance workers who never bother to inspect them ever. This is almost always the end result of that lack of interest in safety.

  • Josh

    Most of the houses here built in the 50s grounded the panel to the cold water line. The main water feed had been replaced with plastic. Water line would have been my next grounding point.

  • Da Mac

    What’s important is that Americans can continue to save money on all those stupid, inefficient regulations and save themselves the trouble of actually learning something in an organized, licensed fashion. They’re just technicians anyway, so…

  • Da Mac

    There’s tasteless, then there’s weak, and then there’s both… 🙁

  • BG

    I have, but thanks. It’s happening on my phone, tablet and my work desktop too. Appreciate the assistance though. 🙂

  • Diva of Destruction

    Much appreciated.

  • BLRII

    I think what happens is that the lift motor (or whatever term) is not grounded properly, so the lake itself becomes the conductor for the electricity and conducts it right into swimmers’ body. I saw an article in which they were trying to make this out as a new general society emergency that we should all learn about, but I think it would make more sense to go back to the non-electric lifts that they used in olden days even if it means someone might have to exercise some muscle. These deaths are pitiful and I hope electric lift devices become a thing of the past.