According to reports, a 16-year-old girl was babysitting a two week old infant when she accidentally burned her.
While giving the infant a bath in the sink under running water, she accidentally turned off the cold water instead of the hot water.
The girl’s mother called the infant’s parents, 25-year-old Patric Eddy and 26-year-old Candace Mercedes, to inform them of what happened.
The couple arrived and took the child home, telling them they were too high on meth to take the child to the hospital right away.
The mother of the babysitter visited the couple’s home the following day to check on the baby and found the infant crying in the bed next to her sleeping parents.
The woman told police the baby was suffering from an “awful” burn on her abdomen and had a diaper full of urine and feces.
The woman woke up Matthews who agreed to let her take the baby to the hospital. Once there, doctors determined the infant was suffering first- and second-degree burns over 40 percent of her body and needed to be flown to a facility better equipped to treat her burns.
While all this was going on, Eddy and Matthews continued sleeping. They weren’t aware of their daughter’s condition, or that she’d been flown to a different medical facility, until police arrived at their home.
Eddy and Matthews were both arrested and charged with child neglect. They are currently in custody at Pontotoc County Justice Center on $250,000 bond.