Brooklyn, NY – A teenage couple suffered serious burns after they attempted to make a potent form of marijuana but only ended up blowing themselves up inside a garage.
Anthony Gambale, 19, and Gabriella Katanov, 17, were making their stash 80 percent stronger by creating what is called “ear wax,” “dabs,” “honey oil,” or “butter.” The names are derived from the final product’s yellowish color and gooey consistency.
There are many how-to videos available online showing people how they can turn their herb into ear wax if you want to try it yourself, but one of the main steps includes soaking your marijuana in butane.
This couple had already finished that step, using a 30-gallon tub to cover some cannabis, and were in the process of evaporating the gas when one of the morons decided that was the perfect time to light up a cigarette.
The resulting explosion woke up the neighbors, who reported hearing the couple screaming for help from inside the burning garage. Gambale and Katanov were both transported to Staten Island University Hospital in serious condition, suffering from second- and third-degree burns.
“Their lungs are good… but from the waist up, all burned,” said Katanov’s mother. “Her hands, too. She could be in the hospital for a year. She needs surgery. The doctors said it will get worse every day.”
It doesn’t look like the couple were making this for personal use, as police said they found a “large amount” of marijuana inside the garage, along with pot plants, plastic storage containers, plastic tabs, coffee filters, glass pans and butane.
Some may get angry with me for posting one of these “how-to make ear wax” videos, but my odds of having something to write about in the future increase proportionally with the amount of people who try to follow the instructions.
Tags: Anthony Gambale, butane, Crime, Drugs, ear wax, explosion, Gabriella Katanov, marijuana, New York