PALM BAY, FL — We have yet another story of a man accidentally setting himself on fire, but at least this time it didn’t have anything to do with a cigarette. This one involves a man accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a gasoline soaked cross in his yard for Halloween.
Police say 50-year-old Ron Neilson was putting out some Halloween decorations Tuesday night at his home, including a set-piece that consisted of a small burning cross surrounded by some lit candles. After Neilson had arranged the candles around the gasoline-soaked cross, he attempted to light one of the candles.
Although he didn’t get gas on himself, when Neilson tried lighting the candle the surrounding gas fumes ignited and created a small explosion that set Nielson’s clothes on fire. Neilson immediately began screaming for help as he rolled on the ground in an attempt to put out the flames that witnesses say reached as high as six feet. Lucky for him, his wife and neighbors heard his screams.
Neilson’s wife ran outside and grabbed a water hose that she used to put his ass out, while neighbors put out the burning cross. “They put the fire out now. But he is probably a trauma alert. His hands are second-, probably a little bit third-degree,” said a 911 caller. “He has some singeing around his mustache. I don’t know if he inhaled any of the of the flames or not.”
Turns out it was a bit more serious than the caller thought, as Neilson had to be airlifted to an Orlando burn unit, suffering burns on 40 to 50 percent of his body.
As much as I usually hate bashing on anyone putting out Halloween decorations, this was an idiotic decision that Neilson is surely paying for. However, as a fellow Halloween lover, I do wish him a speedy recovery. I would also like to take this time to thank WESH for hiring Marina Maracco.Tags: burn, fire, Florida, gasoline, Halloween, Ron Neilson