Toledo, OH - A man who died after accidentally setting himself on fire was seen moments earlier smoking a cigarette while carrying a gas mower.
Jamar Allen, 41, was seen smoking while carrying a gasoline-powered lawnmower into the basement of an apartment building where he lived and worked as a maintenance worker. Witnesses said they heard a crash, then watched as a screaming Allen came running out of the basement engulfed in flames.
Firefighters arrived on the scene to find Allen in the street. He was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. As for the building, it suffered minimal damage as the blaze was confined to a concrete block room in the basement.
Not surprisingly, seeing as we now have over 8000 articles, this isn’t the first story we’ve reported on in which a man burned to death because he was smoking a cigarette. Last year we told you about 43-year-old Gary Banning. He was the North Carolina man who took a drink from a friend’s mason jar, not realizing it was gasoline.
Banning spit out the gas and got some of it on his clothing. Later that evening, Banning dozed off on his friend’s porch while smoking, and the cigarette ignited his gas soaked clothes. Banning would later die after suffering severe burns to over 60% of his body.
Despite the idiocy of smoking a cigarette around flammable materials, these men paid a horrible price for their dumb decisions. I just can’t imagine the horror and pain of being burned alive.
I’d rather be raped to death by a herd of unicorns than to die by fire. The former may mean I die from a ruptured bowel and my prolapsed rectum swinging between my legs like a pendulum, but at least unicorn rape is somewhat magical.Tags: Accident, burn, cigarette, fire, Jamar Allen, lawnmower, Ohio