LOUISVILLE, KY - A 16-year-old died on Sunday after trying to pull a Halloween prank and accidentally hanged himself in his front yard.
Jordan Morlan had spent all day Sunday hanging up Halloween decorations, when he decided to scare his little sister by pretending to be hanging from a noose he’d put in a tree in the front yard. His stunt worked a little too well.
According to the coroner, Morlan became disoriented after the noose cut off oxygen to his brain within 20 to 30 seconds and, as he’d planned, his little sister found him hanging from the tree. She alerted their mother, who was rushed outside but was unable to cut her son down. What a friggin’ nightmare.
Morlan was rushed to the hospital in a coma and placed on a ventilator until his organs began failing. He died 12 hours later. LMPD homicide detectives have determined Morlan’s death was a tragic accident.
Morlan’s mother said her son, a sophomore honor student at Fern Creek High School, loved to play pranks and loved Halloween. She went to the media with the story of her son’s death in hopes of saving other kids.
We’ve reported on similar stories, including one in 2011 where a 17-year-old accidentally hanged herself with a noose while working inside a Halloween attraction. Fortunately, she survived.
In 1990, Brian Jewell accidentally hanged himself while scaring people at a haunted hayride. Many patrons who were driven past the dead teen were unaware that it was a stunt that had gone wrong.
In 2001, Caleb Rebh did the same thing at a Michigan haunted hayride. Witnesses first thought he was joking as he frantically tried to remove the rope. By time they realized he wasn’t, he choked to death with his feet on the ground.Tags: Crime, Halloween, Hanging, Jordan Morlan, Kentucky, noose, prank