Carmichael, CA – A 13-year-old girl with severe allergies to peanuts died after eating a Rice Krispie treat made with peanut butter.
Natalie Giorgio was with her family during a church gathering at Camp Sacramento Friday night when she picked up the treat from a tray of refreshments that had been placed in a poorly lit area.
After taking a bite she realized something was wrong and spat it out. She ran to her mother who also tasted the treat and realized it had been made with peanut butter.
It only took 20 minutes before Natalie was vomiting and having trouble breathing. Despite her father injecting her with three EpiPens and help from paramedics and firefighters, Natalie suffered anaphylactic shock and then cardiac arrest. She would be pronounced dead at the hospital.
According to the family’s pastor, Natalie and her twin sister both have peanut allergies and were vigilant about taking precautions.
“She took every care. She knew the situation, that’s (connected to) the allergy she had. And they were really on it all the time,” said Pastor Michael Kiernan.
Natalie’s parents have thanked the first-responders who tried to save their daughter’s life and are now trying to get the message out about the dangers of food allergies.
“While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening,” the family said in a statement. “Caution and care for those inflicted should always be supported and taken.”
I can’t begin to imagine what Natalie’s friends and family are going through right now… or the person who brought the Rice Krispie Treats made with peanut butter.Tags: Accident, allergy, California, Crime, Natalie Giorgio, peanut