Silverdale, Wa – A Washington state daycare service is in hot, soapy water after one of their daycare workers used a cleaning chemical to clean the face of a 5-year-old boy.
The boys mother, Heidi Dietrich, says that her son Silas Gholston was chemically burned after a teacher’s aide at the Silverdale KinderCare facility scrubbed his face with a dry eraser filled with a cleaning chemical. She was reportedly trying to make Silas more presentable for a class portrait by removing the temporary Chuck E. Cheese tattoos Silas was wearing on his cheek.
It worked pretty well as the tattoo was removed from the boy’s face but replaced with some nasty chemical burns. When Dietrich arrived at the daycare and saw her son’s face, she was outraged.
“He had swollen marks all over his face and there were white pieces where it was like a blister,” said Dietrich.
She also stated that it was apparent the teacher knew they had messed up, but that KinderCare tried to downplay the incident. Dietrich is filing a police report and has removed her son from the daycare. She has also taken Silas to a physician who says Silas will be ok, although they are worried about possible scarring.
The Silverdale Kinder-Care facility has since terminated the employee, whose name has not been released, and released the following statement:
“We can confirm that one of our teachers improperly used a cleaning product to remove a temporary tattoo from a child`s face. As soon as center management was aware of the situation, they reported it to both state licensing and Child Protective Services. These agencies are conducting an investigation. The teacher involved no longer works for KinderCare. This kind of behavior is unacceptable.”Tags: chemical, Crime, daycare, dry eraser, Kinder-Care, Silas Gholston, tattoo, Washington