Patreon

Des Hague, CEO For Centerplate, Caught On Video Abusing PuppyTomas Rivera Commited Suicide By Decapitating HimselfMeri Woods Found Guilty Of Downloading Child Porn To Frame Ex-HusbandMarried Teacher, 32, Accused Of Having Sexual Relationship With Student, 13Trial Begins For David Barajas, Man Accused Of Killing Drunk Driver Who Killed His Sons Jury Rejects Caleb Ruh's Claims He Was Sleeping When He Molested GirlTina Durant Accused Of Allowing Man To Get Her 11-Year-Old Daughter Pregnant'Sons Of Guns' Cancelled After Star, Will Hayden, Accused Of Raping DaughterBryce Dion, Sound Mixer For Reality TV Show Cops, Dies Recording ShootoutGirl, 9, Accidentally Killed Gun Instructor With Uzi At Bullets And Burgers

Gary BanningHAVELOCK, N.C. — A man in North Carolina burned to death after he accidentally drank some gasoline and then later lit up a cigarette.

Sometime on Monday, 43-year-old Gary Banning thought whatever was in the  jar sitting by the sink of his friend’s apartment was consumable.

After taking a gulp, he found out that his friend, a mechanic, keeps gasoline in the jar to clean grease off his hands.

Banning spit out the mouthful of gas, getting some of it on his clothing in the process. Banning had not changed his clothes when he went out on the porch later that evening to smoke.

Police believe he dozed off with a lit cigarette, accidentally setting himself on fire. Banning was eventually transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill with severe burns over 60% of his body. He would die on Tuesday morning.

The apartment where the fire occurred suffered no major damages according to W.K. Preslar, investigator with the Havelock Police Department.

“It was charred as far as the carpet where he was standing,” Preslar said. “But as far as the structure itself, there was no damage.”

In what may come as a big surprise to some of you, police have confirmed that alcohol was involved and possibly drugs.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments


The views expressed in the comments are those of the comment writers and don't represent the views or opinions of D'D or its staff. Feel free to flag comments that may violate conditions outlined in our Disclaimer.

  • Pyncky

    Another candidate for the Darwin Awards

  • Zazen

    So, it’s an especially bad week to be a smoker.

  • JGo555

    Hey @Morbid:disqus  what’s with the huge/invisible titles on the MP?

  • JGo555

    That’s rather sad. An all around accident.

    Still, a good ad for SMOKING KILLS!

  • Lena60

    From what Iam seeing all the tiltles to the stories are faded out. I was just going to ask every body that Question.

  • Lena60

    The only bright to this story is him being brightly lit up.

  • ultracreep

     Stop, drop, and roll…a cigarette.

  • Sam

    The text is still there, but the font colour is giving them their invisibility cloak. Select the text to highlight it and you can read the title.

  • Sam

    So, you are at a male friend’s house, you spot a jar with a mysterious liquid in it and your first thought is “yummy”??? I would have been convinced it was a pee jar and given it a wide birth, or at the very least sniffed before i downed it!! Idiot.

  • steelpin

    i have heard of bring the light of somebodys life but not of your own life.

  • soon2bmomof3

    it has been said it was in a salsa jar and offered to him as a ‘joke’…. sorry can’t find any links to support the statement.

  • ultracreep

    I’m not drinking anything in an unmarked jar that looks like pee. Also, wouldn’t you think the extremely strong smell would give it away before you even got it to your mouth? That guy must have been on a shit ton of drugs.

  • ultracreep

    I read this as “what’s with all the huge/invisible titties.” Gave me a chuckle when I thought about the invisible woman with a boob job.

  • sugarpie

    I don’t drink anything anyone gives me.  I learned my lesson some time ago.  I asked for a glass of water and when I went to take a nice big drink it was peppermint schnapps and I almost choked to death on it.  I trust no one!  But damn, as soon as you got your snauze even close to gasoline, you’d think you’d know what it was.  Horrible way to die.

  • malq

     This was a case of spontaneous human combustion.  :P

  • CT

    Jesus man, you need to rethink a lot of shit if your friends think it is funny to give you gasoline to drink.  

  • Gee

    This guy didn’t have a snow balls chance in hell  given the limited brain cells. It is no wonder he made it this far in life. God can’t help stupid!

  • HazelHoppinflapper

    Seriously, with friends like that, who needs enemies?

  • rensuchan

    I was going to comment something like this but you have done so for me.  Thank you.

  • Gee

     Even if his friends did that at what point do you not smell the gasoline before it gets to your mouth.  Not as if there isn’t strong smell.

  • Andy P

    Yeah that’s what I thought too – as soon as you got it up to your nose you’d be able to tell, even if you were trashed that it was gasoline.  Ouch.

  • JohnQknowitall

    What a fucking awful way to die! Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and gasoline in a jar on the side of the sink – mom’s tell your kids!

  • Texas Ranger

    I guess the cig manufacturer’s are going to have to add ANOTHER warning on the packs.

  • newstarshipsmell

    See? If he’d switched to e-cigarettes (unmodded ones) he’d be alive.
    Safer.

  • newstarshipsmell

    Heh, you mean it IS a wonder…

  • newstarshipsmell

    For me, the text (article titles) is the same on the MP, except bolder than the bold text on the inidividual article pages.

  • CT

     I love the smell of gasoline.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_XKMAEMPVJ5T2Y35HKYTNG7I6SY Cedric

    Now that’s a fire !!!

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtyZoN2Vz4  

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Shannon-Bennett/1803988499 Shannon Bennett

    Drinking an unknown substance from a jar by your friends sink?!  Gross!!! 

  • Lena60

    lmao Ced…classic Eddy Murphy.I saw Eddy Murphy’s Raw Tour. It was awsome. :)

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_XKMAEMPVJ5T2Y35HKYTNG7I6SY Cedric

     I think he used to be really funny … not so much now.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_XKMAEMPVJ5T2Y35HKYTNG7I6SY Cedric

    ” Police believe he dozed off with a lit cigarette, accidentally setting himself on fire. Banning was eventually transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill with severe burns over 60% of his body.”

    That’s gona leave a scar.

  • curiousalways

    I’m still trying to get over the shock of finding out drugs and alcohol played a part in this death by fire event.

  • Wildheart

    “I ain’t cooking no muthafuckin brontasaurus burgers!”

    That is my absolute favorite Eddie Murphy show ever! Goonygoogoo :)

  • Jamie

    The city I live in finally made the news…:)

  • Chinchillazilla

    Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn’t mean that we too can’t not die in a freak gasoline-drinking accident.

  • TruTruTrue

    Bout time there’s a story like this that does come out of Florida!!! we have at least 3 to 4 people lighting themselves on fire on a weekly basis.. Finally…

  • ultracreep

     My shoe!

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/R3HINAJVPMHUTCZUJUVUPDRMGM Sam

    Pee poo pee pee poo pee poo bladdy bla bla