Crestview, FL – Imagine going in to have some routine surgery performed, only to end up in a burn unit in another state because somehow your face had caught on fire during the procedure. That’s exactly what happened to a woman in Florida who is currently recovering from second-degree burns to her face and neck.
Kim Grice, 29, was a patient at the Crestview Surgery Center having three cysts removed from her head. For some reason that has yet to be explained, a flash fire erupted during the surgery and Grice’s face caught on fire.
The mother of three was rushed to an emergency room and then transferred to the University of South Alabama Medical Center. Fox News states the woman suffered horrific burns, and they weren’t exaggerating. Click here to see a pic of Grice as she was being transferred to the emergency room.
The North Okaloosa Medical Center said they were investigating how the fire started, but Crestview fire officials say that surgery fires can flare up when electric or heat-generating tools, like lasers, mix with alcohol, oxygen and surgical coverings.
Grice’s mom said her daughter doesn’t know the severity of her burns because at this time she has not let her see or touch her face. The only thing that could make this story any worse is if it turns out the cysts were malignant.
Anyway, have any of experienced any surgery nightmares? I’ve only been put under once and that was to have my wisdom teeth removed. Aside from a really sore butthole and a bad taste in my mouth everything went pretty smoothly.Tags: Crestview Surgery Center, Crime, fire, Florida, hospital, Kim Grice, surgery