Greenlawn, NY – Michael Baldwin II, a New York television personality, came home Thursday to find his babysitter on the couch ‘unresponsive.’ After searching his home for his 1-month-old son, Michael III, the father found the baby – blue and lifeless on the couch underneath the babysitter.
The situation reportedly began with Baldwin being called unexpectedly into work Thursday. Teresa Coffey, 39, was an acquaintance of his wife and had been asking for an opportunity to watch the infant. Baldwin asked Coffey to babysit.
At about 6PM, Baldwin received a voicemail message from Coffey saying the baby was crying and fussy. He tried to call her back, but there reportedly was no answer. Baldwin went to the home and found Coffey on the couch. Assuming she was asleep, he looked for his son but could not find him.
“I searched every room,” Baldwin said. “I was saying his name, ‘Michael! Michael!’”
Returning to the living room, he said he “just had this funny feeling she was on top of him.”
“I lifted her and he was underneath,” Baldwin said. “He was lying on his back with his hands folded on his stomach. He was blue … . I just grabbed him and called his name — I knew he was dead.”
Both the babysitter and the boy were subsequently pronounced dead at a hospital.
Carbon monoxide poisoning has reportedly been preliminarily ruled out as a cause. So what caused it?
The babysitter likely suffered a fatal medical condition and collapsed onto the infant, police said. That was the nicest thing that investigators said.
“The woman was described as extremely heavy,” Detective Lt. Gerard Pelkofsky said. “… Because of the amount of flesh, it could have caused the baby to suffocate.”
Amount of flesh?
Pelkofsky said investigators believe the deaths were a “tragic accident,” but were awaiting autopsy and toxicology test results.Tags: Accidental Death, Michael Baldwin II, New York, Smothering, Teresa Coffey