Fargo, ND – When the smoke from the firework cleared, 41-year-old Jesse William Burley’s headless – and lifeless – body was lying in the street. BATF agents are assisting Fargo police to determine the circumstances leading up to it.
Chris Hanson, a neighbor, reportedly said that just before 9:30 PM on July 4th, Burley let off a large firework that caused a big bang and “visible shock waves in the air.” I am assuming that when shock waves are visible, whatever caused them is big. Really big.
Hanson described Burley taking another firework and walking with it to the middle of the street.
“Within 10 seconds of us talking to him, he lit it and all we saw was a cloud of smoke, a bang,” Hanson recounted. “When I walked up to his body, it was nothing but his shoulders down.”
Burley’s children, ages 2 and 3, were reportedly not at home at the time of the accident.
Fargo Police Lt. Joel Vettel reportedly said that police were confident it was a federally regulated, commercial-grade firework. Police and the BATF are trying to find out how it was obtained and whether it was actually illegal.
“Ya. For the love of pete, the man lost his doggone head. You’re darned tootin’ we want to find out what the heck happenend, ya,” Joel said.
Okay… I made that quote up. I just can’t think of Fargo and not imagine it going down that way.Tags: Decapitation, fireworks, Jesse William Burley