Covina, California — Two girls, ages 10 and 11, were hospitalized on Monday after eating some cookies laced with marijuana.
When the girls came home from school on Monday, they found a baggie on the kitchen counter with a chocolate chip cookie inside. Covina police Lt. Tim Doonan told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune that the girls felt ill, complaining of numbness and pale, clammy skin. They were both taken to the hospital where they showed traces of marijuana.
Their mother, 33-year-old Veronica Sylvester, was arrested on suspicion of child endangerment. She remains jailed today on $100,000 bail. Sylvester told detectives she got the cookie from a friend for medical purposes. Doonan says Sylvester has no prescription for the drug.
When are people going to learn that sharp objects and drugs need to be kept out of reach of children? Of course kids are going to eat cookies they find on the counter. The article does not say if the girls were released from the hospital, but common sense tells me their symptoms have since passed and they are probably doing just fine.Tags: California, Child Endangerment, marijuana